New Years PVP Update

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Shaftsplitter, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Offline

Shaftsplitter Veteran BOON

2. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Looks good! Lvl 50 pvp bracket - very much needed and will increase competitiveness around the board. I like. Now to see how my opinion changes when I ding 50 tonight and can do all the other pvpish thingies.
  3. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Only a 50 bracket is fine. As I made clear last night, I've never struggled to keep up with 50s but I can see that expertise on 50 gear would bugger balance. 1-49 bracket is fine IMHO. The game types promote skill and tactics over gear anyway.
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

would like to see you duel my 400 expertise assassin fizze =P
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

These are necessary changes, I can understand adjusting a 50 only bracket after it is populated. At least I didn't have to wait an hour for every Warzone.
  6. Offline

Jasra Community Member

i hope they bring these things soon (not ncsoft soon)
  7. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Voidstar Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball Queue....Huttball

The warzone PvP element to the game is starting to fail quickly. They indicate that Huttball is 39% of all the matches... *including the republic*. It's at least 75% on our server empire at peak times now.

They need to open up the other warzones to empire vs empire also - who gives a shit about the story/cutscene at the start. They hint they might be doing this.

Most Huttball games are now 6-0 or 0-6 depending on whether you meet an organised premade lvl 50 group or not. They are addressing this with the creation of a separate lvl 50 warzone level which is to be welcomed. It's currently just a faceroll stomp for most premades.

On top of this, Huttball is so dominated by certain classes it's not funny. You can take players with equal skills but if one group is made up of BHs and IAs they will fail vs Sorcs and tanks.

Lots of problems and I think they are going to be too slow in fixing them. But I hope I'm wrong.

Gurth
  8. Offline

Saul Community Member

I have to disagree, I'm guessing your rolling purely in Premades Gurth, as I mainly roll solo due to the fact I know premades will pop Huttball more. Last night I rolled more like HB..HB..AL..VS..HB..HB..VS..VS..HB..HB..AL..HB..HB..VS, etc.

I'm also not to bothered atm about loosing as I'm getting between 80 to 120 Vp's and between 7k and 10k when on a loosing side. obviously i'm getting a lot more on the winning side, but those figures don't bother me too much.

I am seriously noticing the 50's gap though, going from 3.5k to 4k+ snipe's to around half that now there are more geared 50's.

Obviously being a lowly lvl 36 I have not encountered Ilum yet, but hopefully the Valour incentives requiring player kills and the diminishing results should open up the pvp a little better than what it is now in Ilum.

What I would like to see them do is create an NPC base like the old Rebel base on Dantooine was in SWG, bang in the middle of the PvP zone and both factions fight over the ownership of it via having to complete various HC PvE 5 man raids to unlock weapons, etc at the base, all being done like Dredg's in Aion, but attached to an ongoing open world PvP fight over a huge base.

p.s Any of you guys run into any Republic Premades yet??, I ran into 2 last night and both seemed pretty efficient and switched on, which bodes well for the future.
  9. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Nope, mostly solo or occasionally with 1-2 others. In two nights, of perhaps 20 games, I had 2 non-huttball games. It sounds like you're running a little better, but you're still listing 60-65% Hutball games.

Don't get me wrong - Hutball is one of the best PvP mini-games I've ever played. I love the design of it. However, it has it's problems and is extremely frustrating for certain classes. Bioware should never have allowed the level 50 stomp sessions to happen though. They should have been ready to change over to 50 only sessions as soon as enough people got there.

PvP leveling is now actively discouraged also. With 1000 merc and warzone commendations and a bag in your low 40s - all of the commendations are pointless. The exp is quite poor. Valor rank is the only remaining benefit. They even took away the blue lvl 50 stuff so you can't even spend stuff on those.

I've heard a lot of pvp despondency of late both in guild and all the Hutball games are whinefests now in channels.

In general it doesn't bode well.

Gurth
  10. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Have to admit i've been quite down about pvp at the mo, seems im hard casting almost all of the time, as dps and healer and thats very frustrating in the huttball warzone cause of the bridges and the LOS issues, its frustrating as dps, but surprisingly its even more frustrating as a healer and i know its not my fault if the stupid fella im trying to heal runs out of range or LOS and i dont heal him but still pisses me off. Would definately enjoy having the Civil war or voidstar one pop more often as its more open space and i dont feel so claustrophobic and closed in, but new warzones are cool too, certainly hope they are more open area oriented.

I wouldn't be surprised by a few guilds rerolling Republic tho, wasn't it people commenting and being surprised by them capping something on iilum (never been there yet so no idea what the objective is) so maybe it'll all level itself out soon enough.
  11. Offline

adagio Moderator

I always believed the pvp mini games live or die by the actual maps. Even in the beta you got the sense if swtor was able to launch with two great maps it would hold attention for months.

I always felt it could do with the old style alterac valley where every inch had to be earned and the slaughter could last days. The old av always had a sense of epic battle. Star wars was made for this kind of battle.
  12. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

So true.

I enjoy huttball, but morons and LoS suck. As an Operative I hot people up and then rely on TA popping for my probe insta cast.

Best is when you manage to piss off DPS so they chase you and I just lead them away from our ball carrier and flash bang them to hold them up.

It's a really good game type as skill and tactics are more valuable than just burning scrubs down in bad gear.
    (granted class does play a huge role)
  13. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Skill and tactics come way behind which classes you have on your team. Certain classes haven't a hope to run with the ball. Other classes have pretty OP abilities (eg. 300% speed burst, leaps etc.) to score. By OP abilities I just mean for that particular battleground. Each class has it's role, but without the ball runners you can forget about it.

It's not all bad and I'm just venting. It's getting tiresome being in warzones lately where more and more people are just stealth afking in the corners or doing their own thing.
  14. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

the WZ are just spam dps and farm points, winning , performance , objectives meh who cares farm point move on,, thats how I have felt about them pretty much fomr the start as soon as I relised my team decided if I wono f lost rather that what I did, your with idiots you lose, your with good players of the right class you win end off.
  15. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

huttball is skill based over class based. And sure, on even-skilled terms some classes perform better than others, but as long as you make sure it's NOT even in terms of skill then you win.

I'm feeling pretty overpowered on my powertech in all warzones at the moment. With a good team I can pick up the ball and walk it over the line with all 8 of their team wailing on me. Just using my trinkets and adrenals makes me near-invincible. Combined with damage, great.

Hope they don't nerf my guard too bad. I love it.
  16. Offline

Tent Community Member

Go look at the testrealm notes, no nerfs :>
  17. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Not experiencing any of the issues vented here..

Then again I'm that guy that 2 shots your lowbie ass and giggles as I stealth away ;-)