New TV and AV system!

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Astarael, May 23, 2012.

1. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

I want to buy a new TV and a new sound system as the sound systems that generally come installed in TV's are balls. Time to run it by the techies here as I always do!

At the moment, I was thinking of the Samsung 40 inch ES6300 here It generally retails for around £670. If anyone has a strong opinion why I should upgrade to a 7 or 8 series samsung of the 40 inch size (more is too much), then I'm willing to hear them out. TV must be samsung, long time love.

My AV stuff is where it gets a little more difficult to choose. I want an AV receiver so I can connect up my PS3, xbox360 and Sky HD box via HDMI, and then it has a single hdmi output to the TV. Makes cabling easy, and it should all be managed from one location. If the receiver only has 2 HDMI in and at least 1 optical, also fine.

Can't decide whether to go for a soundbar or a desktop-speaer based 2.1 system. I can't fit a 5.1 in this room. At the moment the frontrunners are the yamaha YHT-S401, which i think is too expensive at around £500, and the Samsung HW-D570, which might be discontinued as I can't really find it available anywhere, but it would be ideal if it wasn't discontinued for some evil reason like mass failure. It's around £350-£400.

My only alternative to those 2 appears to be buying a dedicated AV receiver and individual speakers and subwoofer. Possibly still a soundbar to connect to the receiver as a soundbar seems to be my best option.

Anyone got any opinions?
  2. Offline

you're all 100% useless!

either way, I got my setup finished yesterday.

Samsung 40ES6300
    Yamaha RX-v671 AV Receiver
    Wharfedale DX1-HCP Speakers

After the headache of cabling everything in yesterday, I'm almost all sorted! just need the cable to connect my PC to the receiver and i'm all done. Sound is phenomenal, and i now consider myself the worlds leading expert in setting up home cinema. Happy to provide help the next time someone redoes their setup.
  3. Offline

Tent Community Member

Thanks <3
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I thought gamers did not watch tv :)
  5. Offline

proper tv and sound are required for the highest quality gaming!
  6. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

Well it's great having a gaming rig, but you don't play games anymore!! ;D
  7. Offline

i play league of legends!

(and it's more for films and tv anyway :p)
  8. Offline

Tal The Architect

Shame I only just saw this, a friend of mine has the Yamaha soundbar and says it's great.

However checking what you did get in the end looks like you made some pretty good choices :)
  9. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

seen the new 80" telly?