New PC

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Shantotto, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Offline

Shantotto Guest

2. Offline

Tal The Architect

If I were to make a new build I'd probably go for Gigabyte tbh. Although I'm not really against either Asus or ASrock... just as long as it isn't another crock of shit MSI board. I'm sure that Dominator RAM is pretty good but I'm never going to buy Corsair again, it used to be a great brand but I've had nothing but problems with them (XMS RAM, PSU failure & H50-1 heatsink problems too).

Otherwise I'd say it's a pretty solid build that I'd be happy with. Is TERA making you want to upgrade? I don't play a game that has issues with my aging hardware (Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 460GTX) so I might wait out to see how AMD's Bulldozer is.. I can't justify upgrading just for SATA 6gbps yet :p
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I would agree with Tal about the Gigabyte motherboard.

My last few PC's have been ASUS motherboards and they are just poor quality. Had to return my current one 3 times before I got one that worked so their quality control can't exactly be fantastic. There is also so much shit you have to install with ASUS motherboards that you never use but that it needs you to install before it will let you do anything.

Last PC I built was not for myself and I put a Gigabyte in that one and its had no issues so I think in a year or two if I redo mine, that's the way I will go unless things change between now and then, as currently I couldn't recommend ASUS motherboards to anyone.

As for your GFX card, again I there is nothing wrong with the ASUS version of the 6970, infact it has the fast factory clock speed of them all, but again, just because of my past experience with ASUS products I would rather lose the 10Mhz of clock speed and go for the XFX or Gigabyte option.

Build looks good though Shanto, looks like your the TERA fraps master if you get this rig.
  4. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Hmm i've had an ASUS in my past two PCs and never had any issues whatsoever, not sure what you have had to install unless they have released something more recently, mines a couple of years old now, I have fried one in the past but that was my own fault :) but like a lot of things with building your own PC it comes down to preference, I would for example take a XFX over ASUS.

12GB of RAM, yum :) like Aspira says though, build looks pretty solid.

out of interest how much for all that?
  5. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Asus mobos have much cooler bridges than gigabyte so make much cleaner OCs I've found. Could barely push the volts on my old gigabyte before bsod. My Asus board had no special software that needed installing other than the soundcard software and drivers...

Never going gigabyte after the farce of one board I owned with 4 ram slots but only able to run single channel ram In all 4 at once.... Who does that?!?
  6. Offline

Tal The Architect

Never heard of that on a board :p Was a it a cheap one? Otherwise something must have been broken or it might have needed a BIOS update.
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Oh btw, that RAM is fucking epic shanto.

I am using 12Gb of the older version of Dominator and it is seriously good stuff. My mate recently upgraded to this new version you are buying and it is seriously good.
  8. Offline

Tal The Architect

I had a look about a bit at RAM and there really isn't much other choice except Corsair :(
  9. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Prob w/ ram is if you want triple channel it's either 6gb or 12gb - not much choice in between.
    And not many brands to buy since OCZ and a bunch of others quit making ram.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

The Dominator stuff wont let you down dude, it really is good shit.
  11. Offline

Shantotto Guest

I know it's good stuff :p

Could really use more help w/ specific motherboards :(
  12. Offline

adagio Moderator

I have to ask, what the hell are you building a machine that expensive and that powerful for?

Also wouldn't water cooling be a option if money is no object. a corsair h70 would keep it cool as is a all in one solution.
  13. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Why not? Why buy anything other than a tata for a car?
    Do you ask that when someone has a car that isn't tata?

I also don't want a fishtank.
  14. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

15. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

TITANIUM!
  16. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Indian made car, costs like 1200 euros in india :p

[IMG]
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

18. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Also you guys suck :p Most Sandybridge boards don't support triple channel so I need to change the memory from 12gb to 8gb.
  19. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Or don't bother buying a sandybridge :p (where you say most don't the actual number of mobo's that do atm is zero).
  20. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

That looks like a nice reliable motor! Prefer it black but hey ho