New Monitor - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Gurtholfin, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

All that tech Fallanx and you still crashed helicopters in BF3 :p
  2. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Quite interested in the iiYama models as there seems to be good feedback on these. Few decisions made thanks to your help:

- I'll go for 27inch - what the hell. Use it for watching youtube and stuff at times too from afar
    - The Dell models are a bit too expensive, overkill. While I said money wasn't much of an issue, there is no point in wasting it either.
    - Iiyama 27 G2773HS-1 looks nice a nice option - non-IPS though but 1ms and has built in speakers (although only 2.5 watt) 120Hz so maybe overkill on that
    - iiyama ProLite E2773HDS also non-IPS, 1ms, higher watt speakers, cheaper but not 120Hz
    - very interested in the LG 27EA3V - mega cheap but I'm not sure if I can source this. Will see if any companies stock them....

- Closest I could get to that option on dabs / Komplett is : LG M2752D-PZ anyone got any experience with these?
    IPS 5MS 293 euro 2 x 5 watt speakers TV Tuner (probably don't really need this but could be useful down the line) 2HDMI inputs (would probably need a DVI->HDMI convertor) ... maybe seems a bit TVish.... interested in opinions. One of the few IPS options I seem to have.

Gurth
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I use that exact monitor at work. It's faultless.

I use dual Iiyama Prolite E2472HD's at home, they are essentially the 24" version of the previous generation of monitors.

Had them for about 18months now, only fault I could find on them is by default they are very bright, so I constantly have the energy saver switched on, which dulls the brightness slightly.

I personally wouldn't buy anything other than Iiyama now.
  4. Offline

Killa Veteran BOON

What rig are you using Fallanx? And post ur Twitch accunt plz!
  5. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

This is an old rig now but still delivering. GTX 670 oc - i7@3.07Ghz - ssd m4 256 gb + 1T hdd - Left screen iiyama b2403ws right is benq xl2411t
    Peripheral wise i use as razer naga and a mechanical keyboard,corsair vengeance k60. Jostick is a saitek x52-pro, trackir 5.0, logitech pro hd cam c910; wireless headset logitech G930.

Next thing to upgrade will be the cpu/mobo combo.

http://www.twitch.tv/fallanx - very inconsistent broadcast tho - would be nice to be able to embed them on the boon homepage nevertheless, like most decent guilds do nowaday :)

For the record, no, i never crashed any choppa in ANY game. Oh wait yes maybe once, when Aspira and KC went onboard and instantly overloaded the maximum weight limit for some reason.
  6. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

our awesomeness was too much to control tbh...
  7. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

You can, well you can embed a stream in a forum thread:

8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You know it KC, Fafa is in complete denial!! :p
  9. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

I meant the homepage structure with a dedicated stream widget, pro shit.
  10. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Cheers man - I've decided that I'll pick up one of the ProLites iiyama ProLite E2773HDS
    I was going to ask which you find between between your work and home ones, but I don't think I can source your home ones anyway from the shops I need to purchase from.
  11. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea the ones I use at home I don't think you can buy anymore as they are the previous generation of models.

I think the current version of the ones I have at home would be the X2473HD as all the "E" model monitors seem to now have built in speakers and quite poor stand adjust-ability (not sure if its caused by cramming cheap speakers onto them).

Personally I like gaming on the 24" monitors, but it depends what your using your PC for. If its a 100% gaming rig, then I would probably always go 24" for me personally because any larger and I feel I start to get lost in the screen as I can't focus on the entire screen at the same time and need to move my vision around. If I was going to be using my PC for watching movies, watching tv, youtube series, working from home basically anything other than gaming as its primary function, then I would probably go for a 27" as I would get more benefit from it. However, since I can output to a 42" TV at home for when I need to do any of that, I just do see me ever needing to change from 24" to 27".

Don't get me wrong, I would never go back to a 24" at work as the amount of extra information on the screen between the two sizes is so much more beneficial for me at work, but that's all I use it for, maximum amount of work on the screen at any time.

Its completely personal choice dude, neither size is infinitely better than the other, there are benefits of each for certain roles, but it just depends what you will be using them for.
  12. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Ok cheers - for work I've got a 24 which I use either as the main screen for my linux box or as an extended monitor for my laptop (where I do my development work). Personally, I find that nothing beats extended desktop as I can manage my deployment and testing on one screen while keeping my IDE and debuggers open on the other. But yeah - it's all about the space!
  13. Offline

Killa Veteran BOON

Anyone have this monitor?

Was thining of buying BenQ but this one have better specs and is alot cheaper

ASUS VG248QE

yes i know i necro
  14. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

very nice specs for that price! But im a vid benq user as they have been the absolute best for me
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Meh, its OK, but why anyone would choose a non IPS screen is beyond me.
    Yes the 144hz is nice if you plan on 3D gaming, and 1ms g2g is good if you are a pro gamer with super human reaction times, but tbh its all gimmicks and advertising.

BenQ is overpriced crap and ASUS don't have very good panels.

Look at DELL ultrasharp if you got the cash, else look at the LG and iiyama IPS (LG for picture, iiyama for build quality.)
  16. Offline

Killa Veteran BOON

Thanks for ur input, but have you used this monitor?
    And arent IPS more for like grapical deisgners, colors for all viewing angles etc? aka not really that important for gaming
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

IPS is for image quality for sure, but why make a game you spent many moneys building a gaming PC to play look worse?

The things which are advertised as being for "gamers" are gimmicks. Think of cheap "gaming" keyboards and what they usually add are lights, and maybe coloured WASD keys....

In monitors they do the same thing, only they say "this monitor is 1ms response!" So fucking what? My human response time is about 200ms, you think you can notice 4ms extra?

Also refresh rates. If you plan on 3d gaming then yes, 144hz is amazing. If not then you have to ask yourself, do you plan on playing games at lower graphical fidelity to get 120-144 fps to warrant the refresh rate?

Also IPS doesn't ghost, which is the main reason to get a 120-144hz over a 60.

I have used a lot of monitors when I was still working at Novatech, and IPS is easily the nicest type of panel.
  18. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

(Necro'ing like a real necro!)
    So... in your comparison here, you prefer DELL Ultrasharp over LG and Iiyama?
    I'm probably gonna get a new monitor, tired of all the alt+tabs in my life!
    And... i can get right now a DELL 24" U2412M ULTRASHARP (8MS/IPS) for 276.20€ (can't find any Iiyama here in my country and haven't check the webstores yet).
    Good buy right?
  19. Offline

Littletoe Veteran BOON

Ive got that one and i paid about the same amount, maybe 20e or so more. Really liked it so far, plan is to buy another one when i get some extra money. Wich probaly is never :p
  20. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Well, the thing is i already have an old ASUS 19" if im not mistaken, it works well but... a 2nd monitory becomes handy.