New Monitor - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Gurtholfin, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Hi,
    I have what is possibly an open-ended sum of money to spend on a new monitor for gaming at home. I don't want to go crazy big as it's not in a very big room. Any suggestions or positive experiences as to what would be a good monitor to invest in?

My graphics card at the min: GeForce GTX 560 so nothing too top end. Will certainly be upgrading it a couple of times in the lifetime of a monitor though.

Potentially something with speakers might be useful to tidy up my desk somewhat. I don't get to blast sound out and end up using headphones more often than not, so third party speakers and subwoofers are probably a little redundant for me.

Any suggestions on a good monitor? Dell have always impressed me, but that might sound a bit lame!

Gurth
  2. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

3. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Benq Xl2420t is pretty nice does 120hz too.
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

The iiyama KC has is amazing, for old tech.
    If you have money, get a dell ultra sharp tips monitor.
    For less, either iiyama or LG do very nice IPS panel monitors. Slightly slower response time, but 5ms is still fine unless you're a twitch gaming pro.

If you fancy going 27" look at the LG 27EA33V is rediculously good value for an IPS (easiest monitor to sell we have :p)
  5. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Also remember Gurth U R OLD! your eye aren't good enough to appreciate a super cool new monitor so money would be wasted imo
  6. Offline

Trixeh Veteran BOON

I have the older versio nof this, the 410t, and i really like it.
  7. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Given that I'm a couple of years younger than you.... I should be well able for your monitor at least and then maybe a little more!
  8. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Thanks for all the options so far. Few good choices there. One question: Is having a HDMI slot any way important? My graphics card at the minute doesn't have a HDMI output (2 x DVI instead) but I guess a future one could.
  9. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

So this Dell you mean? http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb_04rand/20177535/dell_ultrasharp_u2713hm__27/details.aspx
  10. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

11. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Meh seems prices on them have risen to almost double, a friend of mine picked his up for £190 on OCuK last year. Depending on your money I'd look around for a nice 27" IPS, if you have the money to splash out then get a Dell Ultrasharp IPS with 2560x1440 res.
  12. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

That dell you linked gurth is not the IPS model.
    And HDMI is just DVI + audio.... So no, not essential.

Don't bother with 120hz, 3D is crap headache causing gimmick and requires a more powerful card for worse fps (your card has to draw twice as much stuff)
  13. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Dell Ultrasharp 24" U2412M
    Bare in mind, this has a 8ms response so not great for gaming, but beautiful none the less.
    iiyama 24" IPS XB248WSU
    This is an outstanding 24" monitor. (we don't sell it at novatech, hence the iiyama link)
    LG 27" IPS 27EA33V
    This is fucking retardedly cheap for how good it is.

Money no object?
    Dell Ultrashap 27" IPS
    Simply amazing.... but £620... and your card better be good.
  14. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

15. Offline

Jinx Community Member

Isnt HDMI just better video quality?... I was very specific and was lookin quite alot to get both GPU and Monitor supporting HDMI... + the 5 euros for HDMI cable....
  16. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

17. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Money isn't particularly a problem... although I'd like to keep it either around or below 600 euro. I have 5 grand to burn on technology in the next couple of years so will be buying various bits and pieces.
    Only problem is that I'm limited to a few companies.. namely www.dabs.co.uk and www.komplett.ie - some of these options aren't available on them unfortunately.
  18. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

So are these IPS monitors much better in quality? They seem to have faster response times and better viewing angles?

Thanks again to everyone at this point for the great help - it's really useful in helping to make the choice.
  19. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

20. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

IPS is much better. we have 2 monitors next to each other at work, both iiyama, 1 IPS 23" and 1 TN 24"
    The IPS kicks the TN ass in looks.

The main advantage is IPS has much better veiwing angles, and when you are sat in front of a monitor, the edges can be slightly washed out by the angle you are looking at. IPS is far more constant.
    IPS also has much better colour depth than TN monitors.
    From Wiki
    And don't bother with 120hz. Unless you plan on 3D gaming (which as i said before is crap) it's pointless, you'll just get more issues with tearing due to vsync wanting to be in 120fps.