New Monitor, need advice please!

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Selenus, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Hey peeps!

So, I'm trying to buy a new monitor. I currently have a 4 year old 20" Samsung SM2033SW that needs to go.

Budget wise, I'm looking at something around £200. Preferably 24".

Reviews online are, as per usual, being unhelpful - Since some people say X is good, and others say X is bad.

Considering the type of monitor, I really don't need it to be IPS. I only use my computer for gaming and dvd watching, and I have no illusions of getting cinema-quality experience on my pc without a £800+ monitor, so nevermind proper quality IPS. Likewise, I don't need it to be 3d ready either. I fucking hate 3d.

Regarding the hz frequency, it seems some people have recommended sticking to 60 rather than jumping to 120 as it'll just make it more demanding on the computer, which I would rather avoid. Doubt I can actually tell the difference (feel free to convince me otherwise if I'm wrong though!)

Lastly, resolution. 1920x1080 vs 1920x1200 - I've no idea what to aim for, but I think I'd rather keep to a 16:9 format and go for 1920x1080.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VE248H-Widescreen-Response-Control-Function/dp/B0045V7I0A - This was the monitor that seemed the best to me out of my hours of research, until I've seen ENDLESS complaints about ghosting - Even though some of these complaints are old and apparently people that have purchased this monitor recently did not have the same problem.

So yeah, help is appreciated peeps! thanks :D
  2. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

3. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

It's not very up to date :/ Infact the only decent 24" list there only has 3 monitors, 1 of which is a tv/monitor that doesnt even have DVI and horrible stats, and the dell ultrasharp which is pretty decent is native 1920x1200 :/

They have a recent 23" list, but I wanted 24" really D:

Any more advice? Anyone? :D
  4. Offline

Killa Veteran BOON

From what i heard BenQ XL2410T should be really good. Not sure if its within the price range
  5. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Hey, I'm also going to buy a new monitor the coming month.

I prefer x1200 but x1080 is gong to be cheaper and easier to find.
  6. Offline

Xtranerf Veteran BOON

Tbh the best you could do is to go to a store that have different monitors on display and take a look at them, my rule of thumb is: No glossy screen, nice and clear picture, low ms, a nice clean design. Atm I'm using a Benq G2420HDBL which I'm more than happy with.
  7. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

got a benq E2400HD and very happy with it
  8. Offline

Talisker Veteran BOON

9. Offline

Warprophet Community Member

10. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

While we're on the topic of monitors, has anyone seen one with a really REALLY slim bezel? As nonexistent as possible.

LG were advertising one recently, but turned out to be a big ad scam. They advertised at 1.2mm (including in videos and pictures), but then when delivered it was 1.2cm.

I'm looking for something like this so I can get 2-3 of them together.
  11. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

12. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

Yes get the 120hz one trust me the difference is amazing, i use a samsung 2233z but it native res is 1650x1050, so get the benQ one
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

My last four monitors have been iiyama and they have all been really top quality for a very competitive price.

Before that I used LG but find them far too pricey now for what they are.

I am currently using 2x iiyama ProLite E2472HD's. This is a quite an old monitor now as I have not upgraded in a while, but they are still functioning as if brand new.
  14. Offline

Trixeh Veteran BOON

15. Offline

Necrionet Community Member

16. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Has it's own mouse? 0.o
  17. Offline

Necrionet Community Member

Nope, its not a mouse only the wheel and the 3 profile button ^^
  18. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON