New Mobo/CPU

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Mantle, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

Hurrah my bank gave me a credit card! This means new Mobo/CPU!

Anyone point me in the right direction for a decent combo? looking to spend around £350-400.
  2. Offline

Jame Community Member

There's probably lots of ppl with better knowledge here, but I recently bought a new computer and been really happy with my i7-3770K CPU + Intel Z77 mobo.
  3. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Depends what you are using it for.

If it's only gaming then you can't go wrong with an i5 2500k which overclocks like a beast.
    If you want to render videos etc then consider an i7 3770k.

for Mobo, Personally I really like the Asus Sabertooth (Z77 chipset)
    But that's completely your choice, Mobo is mostly extra money for more features, so decide what you need and look at what has them.
  4. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

It's for gaming and primarily guild wars 2/borderlands 2.
  5. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

go for the i5 2550k then
    (there's a good reason it's still the same price as the 3570k...)
  6. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

7. Offline

Jame Community Member

z68 -> z77 unless you found a reason to go with z68.
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Go Z77 chipset and grab the 2550k over the 2500k
    only reason to go 2500k is if you plan on using onboard graphics... which I'd really hope you're not.
  9. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

As I said before way out of touch with PC Architecture :p

Redone the list can you give it the once over again?
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Any reason you went for 2x 8GB instead of 4x 4GB?
    Unless you plan on upgrading to 32GB later, you'll get slightly better performance (better timings on 4GB sticks) going for 4x 4GB
    Also, I just noticed you had 1866Mhz RAM there.... won't work with that MOBO (1600 max)

Try (Novatech again :p but feel free to find them from your prefered supplier)
    RAM
    MOBO
    CPU
    And as always, if you find it cheaper elsewhere then get it there instead, but if you do decide to get from novatech don't forget my Rep code 5696.

Other than that it looks good, That mobo is very good value for money.
  11. Offline

adagio Moderator

Why would you go for the older 2550k over the 3570k?
  12. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

because it doesn't have the overclock potential. Not even close. The 2550k as you know, gets to 4.4-4.5 without even touching volts or anything dodgy. the 3570k is lucky to hit 4.2 WITH voltage upping.
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Seen a few 3750K on overclockers forums running at 4.5. Takes a bit of tampering, but it can be achieved.

Personally I like i7, cuz 7 is more than 5.
  14. Offline

adagio Moderator

Problem is as the new AMD processors weren't all that good. Intel has free reign to keep the prices sky high.
  15. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

I'll go with the I5 2550 as all I want to do is play GW 2 and Borderlands 2, the rest of my gaming is on the PS3
  16. Offline

Axle Community Member

Iv got a quad core 3GHz and 8 gig of ddr3 and an Asus GTX560 OC bought it all for BF3 and i still find i have to ramp it down for WvW must be my connection then lol

Also remember if your going to go over 4gig on the Ram you install a 64bit version of windows m8
  17. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

i5 2500k + z77 Asrock Extreme 4. Works wonders for what you wanna do, and you can save money out of the whole deal.