New Budget PC

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Astarael, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

My dad wants a new PC, and as an IT tech this apparently falls under my jurisdiction.

Has to be £400 or less. He won't use it for anything besides word and internet, but still, aim for £400 so it does what he wants and he can shut the hell up.

I've checked the general sites, dell/currys/pcworld/comet and this is my first choice so far:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g5460uk-desktop-pc-10452274-pdt.html

However I always begrudge buying something from these stores knowing they're generally crap.

If anyone could pose some alternatives from a reliable more techy source (overclockers/ebuyer/whatever), i'd appreciate the help.
  2. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I always feel you pay for what you get, and for my kids I just did the easy option and bought them dell laptops from currys for £350-400 for exactly what you say, MS office for homework and internet and music.

Easy to tidy away, portable so they roam around the house and everything is inbuilt and simple, so long as he doesn't want to install any decent type of game it will last foreever until all the crap from the internet eventually locks it down, then wipe and start again :p

I did it for my Dad too, but he is the worst computer user on the planet but 3 years later it still does everything he wants.

Oh and if you go wireless laptop direction make sure you get him a wireless printer too, which can be hidden out the way.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

PC World are actually okay if all you want is a PC to run word and the internet.

I would recommend just buying a pre-built system if all you need it to do is word and internet and your max bugdet is £400.
  4. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

went for the one i pointed out after your pointers, cheers guys. just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing any obvious better deals