Need an Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Undeadmonkey, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Offline

Undeadmonkey Veteran BOON

System.jpg
    Thats what i am running thinking of upgradigng my graphics card??
    any suggestions?
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Anything made within the last 100 years should be an improvement!!!! :eek:

Nah in all seriousness though, what is your budget ?

Are you only wanting to buy a new graphics card or are you looking to upgrade anything that may be giving you performance problems ?

Without giving a budget nobody can really help.

What I can say though is, that graphics card is so old that anadtech no longer support it on their benchmarking... so yea, you need to upgrade that...... now.

Additionally, I would honestly recommend upgrading your processor away from the Phenom 9650. The Intel i5 2500K outperforms it by almost double on all the benchmark tests and it only costs 150Euros. It is seriously a very nice CPU offering very high performance per euro. However, you would need a new motherboard too, so things start to add up.

Again, you NEED to give a budget as it is all good recommending you 500 euros or 1000 euros worth of parts, but if your budget is only say 200 euros, its a bit silly.
  3. Offline

katmai Veteran BOON

Contrary to other opinions i would not recommend an intel setup. Why ? I am just sick of needing to get a new motherboard everytime you need to up your cpu. With the same money you spend for an intel cpu + mobo you would get amd 990 motherboard which has kickass support for sata 3 a phenom 2 quad cpu , and you would have some cash left to get a better gfx card. Even tho i love ati, i went with gtx 570 here ....
    And yes it would be nice to post your budget. Are youable to sell your system by any chance to some aftermarket ?

Sent from my Motorola Xoom using Forum Runner
  4. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Id agree but it completely depends on his budget.
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Get an AMD 6850/6870 or Nvidia GTX 550 Ti and you can play most games decently again. Anything more will make the CPU or other parts a bottleneck. The GPU you have now is one of the lower end two generations old.
  6. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Also get rid of vista if you want to play games.... Almost WORST OS EVER
  7. Offline

Omnipresent Potato Farmer

Windows 2000 ftw!
  8. Offline

Tal The Architect

Do you mean Windows ME?
  9. Offline

Omnipresent Potato Farmer

Nah ME was released a few months after Windows 2000, ME was basically a home version of 2000. Didn't improve on anything really. Was a great gaming platform, before XP came along.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I actually prefer win7 over XP now I am used to it.

Vista however..... lets hope history forgets about that abortion of an OS.
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I'm not too happy about Win 7 and old games, you really need to use the Virtual PC XP mode to get most running and then you still sometimes have problems. It's also got a lot to do with 64 bit and Windows Aero/themes. With a lot of fiddling you can get most games to run though, also thankfully there are plenty of people who mod old games and add compatibility. If I'd have to pick a favorite (and not think about support/updates) then it would be Win 98SE or XP, I still have 98SE on a seperate HDD so it is there when needed :). It's terrible to use an unsupported old OS when you need to keep your PC secured though, so you are forced to use either Vista or Win 7 (also due to Direct X 10/11).
  12. Offline

Oopps sorry
    I dont really have a budget
    but dont really wanna go over £500
    and pfft that setup ran aion in quite high res,,,
  13. Offline

Tal The Architect

I know, but Windows 2000 wasn't the worst OS ever released by Microshaft. ME was!
  14. Offline

15. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

no, you will be better off buying second handed cards like AMD 5850/5870's or GTX 460/470's. Or just buy a new 6850/6870 or GTX 550/Ti or 560/Ti

Mid-range is where the price/performance comes in, low-range is just bare minima and high-end = lots of money for small gains or exotic setups.
  16. Offline

thanks for the detailed explanation XD
  17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,2912-7.html

you don't need to spend more than 140,- to get a massive upgrade by just replacing the GPU. No point putting in 1 Massively expensive single or even 2 GPU's either, just a mid-range one unless you really want to replace the whole system. Keep in mind, new CPU means new motherboard, means new memory, add a GPU and you probably need a new PSU, things get hotter you need better airflow, means new case. So replace GPU and you can go on for approx, 1/2 years for 140,- or so (perhaps more, depends on how much consolization happens). Or you can replace the near entire system for 500,- + and you can go on for 4-5 years.

Anyway AMD will bring out their Bulldozer's soon if you are like Katmai and want to bind to a single brand. Or you can just go for a system suggested in an earlier thread.

Processor - Intel Core i5 2500K
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance / Sniper / anything below 1.65v, 2x4GB
    Cooler - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
    Videocard - 1x AMD Radeon HD 6870
    PSU - A-brand 500W (Enermax, Silverstone, Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ etc.)

Something along the lines of this
  18. Offline

Tal The Architect

If I was you I would look at getting a 6850? They are around £120.
  19. Offline

Tal The Architect

And btw I think that's an excellent price for the card.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

It is a pretty good price and pretty good card for that kind of money.