MMO Keyboard that is NOT mechanical

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Astarael, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

Seen alot of posts for mechanical keyboards, but can't remember seeing any regular ones.

I've got the razer Lycosa at the moment, and i'm looking for a decent mmo keyboard for SWTOR. I like the looks of the star wars one razer is making, but not a fan of the price. Probably wouldn't stop me getting it though if it's good.

Anyone had any experience with any alternatives?

SWTOR Keyboard
  2. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

this one from razor looks good actually. seems it wont come out till january tho. wonder what it will cost
  3. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

250€ , so a total ripoff
  4. Offline

nah, it's listed at $250 on US site, by the time it comes out in EU it'll be like £160-170.. still expensive as hell though.
  5. Offline

Felby Community Member

its said everywhere and it was listed on razer site forever for 250€
    won't be surprised if it actually is the case
  6. Offline

Felby Community Member

7. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

8. Offline

9. Offline

Tal The Architect

I can tell you what is irrelevant. That keyboard in general.
  10. Offline

Assumably you've got a viable alternative then?
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Nostromo and Naga.
  12. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Any old £10 keyboard.
  13. Offline

You're welcome to use "any old £10 keyboard", but in my experience it's rare that anyone using cheap accessories performs as well as those who pay out that little bit more.

I already use a naga, but the nostromo doesn't have enough binds for me (i think?)

I generally set up with ESDF for movement, then I can use W, Q, A, Z, X, C, V, B, G, T + the numbers 1-6 pretty easily.
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I don't understand why you find Mechanical too expensive, yet you want a Razer keyboard. Razer do not stand for quality, they're just expensive and have lots of gimmicks (can be good if you need em).

Just buy a regular Microsoft/Logitech keyboard if you want something cheap, they are decent enough.
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Anything other than that.

Themed keyboards are usually the shittest of the shit. You really need to stay away from them.

If you really want a Razer keyboard that is good for MMO gaming, then the Anansi is their MMO optimised keyboard. I have one and I have to say, it is average at best and I no longer use it. It is also stupidly large and takes up massive amounts of desk space. I think when I sat my G16 ontop of it, the G15 was actually smaller than the Anansi, so that will give you an idea of how large it is.

Other than the Anansi, Razer don't do any other MMO specific keyboards, and tbh, my experience with Razer keyboards is not that great. The only one I have actually ever used and felt comfortable using was the Lycosa, which you currently have, so in my opinion, you have the best Razer keyboard already from my experiences. I have not yet tried a Blackwidow, but tbh, if I was going to spend money on a mechanical keyboard, it would be a Filco Majestouch 2.

I even used a G15 for a while and I have to say, it was shit. The only plus point was the macro keys which came in handy now and then (especially DF) but for normal gameplay, they are so out of the way that you never really use them. Oh and the LED screen, lol if you actually use it while gaming. G15 is another example of overpriced low end keyboard with some sparkley bits bolted on to make people think its awesome.

Currently I am using a QSenn DT-35. I ordered 3 of them an online store in Seoul and it cost me $40 including postage and packaging and taxes to get them delivered to my house. Thats $40 total, not each. They are a membrane keyboard, so not mechanical, but it is probably the best typing keyboard I have ever used. I also find it handy as I play a lot of Korean MMOs and it has both Roman and Hangul characters on the keys, so it makes typing in Korean very easy.

TL;DR - I have used a very wide selection of keyboards over the last few years and from my experience, anything labelled as "gaming keyboard" or "MMO keyboard" usually means its a heap of shit with fancy coloured LED's on it to make hipsters pay silly money for an inferior product. Your best bet is to buy a good typing keyboard, and not a gaming keyboard.
  16. Offline

Angelo Community Member

I dont see the point of spending £200 on a keyboard. I use the Sidewinder X4 cost me £20.

Also, you're playing SWTOR not SC2 or WC3. What do you mean with performs as well as those who pay out a little bit more? Theres plenty of people who play MMOs as well as you would with an overpriced piece of hardware like the razer one.
  17. Offline

Tal The Architect

You don't even really specify what you want. 'A good MMO keyboard' isn't really a good spec to go by.

Pete is pretty much spot on. Plus, I'd love to see how functional that touchpad actually is in a game, especially since it's so far away from the movement keys. Or are you just supposed to use the keyboard and no mouse? Definitely a gimmick.

I'll just wait for Aspira to post the link to his imported keyboard that he got for like £10.
  18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Can't agree with you more Pete.

I would argue that the Naga is probably one of the best mine you can bet for MMO gaming (for convenience) but for any other game type I still use Logitech mice as the Razer ones are just not as good (excluding the Naga).

As for keyboards, if you buy a Razer keyboard over a Majestouch 2 then your an idiot.

In fact Astarael , due to being such an idiot myself and buying an Anansi because it was hyped to be so awesome, I will trade you my Anansi for a Filco Majestouch 2 if you really want a Razer keyboard because I really regret that decision.

Filco Majestouch 2 - £100 - http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=646

Razer Anansi - £100
    Razer Blackwidow - £120
    Razer SWTOR lolboard - £10000000 (probably)
  19. Offline

Tal The Architect

Also, the word 'gaming' being applied to products nowadays is basically just a £20 surcharge.
  20. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I've been tempted to invest in a mechanical keyboard for a while, but I really can't justify it.

Anyone buying Razer products is wasting their money, Logitech or death.