minecraft server and what to do with it when it breaks?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by adagio, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

As you can tell the minecraft server will break every update while the admin software and addons are reconfigured. This generally means the server will sit there unused until the updates flood through. With only a few weeks left on the server payment until renewel I see we have a few choices.

We renew the server for 3 more months and hope it gets more ppl.

We change provider and hope we have more control over the server.

We stay with multiplay but this time pay a few quid extra so we can change the server over to another game. These can be sven co-op nights or raven shield nights.

We let the server go.
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Up to you but the uptime on the multiplay server for Minecraft has been shockingly bad.

Lawless had a BFBC:2 server from them for a while and I had admin on it and the admin panel was terrible, the server lagged in the evenings on server side if you looked at the logs and the support from multiplay was shocking.

Changing provider might be an idea as I just don't think multiplay are worth it, but, who are the other options and does anyone have experience with them ? Are multiplay the best of a bad bunch ?
  3. Offline

adagio Moderator

Well tbh companies running minecraft servers are few and far between. Probably the best solution would be to have a syndicate where 10-20 ppl would put a few quid in a month and we buy our own personal server. With this we could probably run a 32 man server of like tf2 and a few 8 man servers.

I shall keep looking at cheap minecraft servers that we have full control over.
  4. Offline

Tal The Architect

Problem is, the minecraft server is massively RAM heavy. Otherwise I'd be running it now for free :p
  5. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

When we bought the lawless server it was great n all....but unless you have a large following of people who constantly play on it, its kinda not worth the money (for something like TF2, BBFC2 etc) quite often i'd go to play and it would be empty, where as good public servers such as multiplays own, are always busy.

Different matter for things like minecraft or sven co-op (which rules) though
  6. Offline

Tal The Architect

There's just been a blog post from Notch saying he wants addons to be better supported. http://notch.tumblr.com/

I think the problem is going to be there where-ever you go as it seems it could just be the current model. Maybe changed in a patch in the near future ;)
  7. Offline

adagio Moderator

It certainly needs work. A new update to minecraft generally breaks stuff, then bukkit (server side modification) gets broken which leads to add ons being broken. It was worse this time due to first there being 3 1.5 updates and then the free database provider we use upgrading over the weekend and lsing most of the mysql databases :(
  8. Offline

Tal The Architect

I can host the MySQL database and back it up too ;)
  9. Offline

adagio Moderator

ohh that would be nice
    can you pm me some details please?