Memory Issues with starting game.

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Sui, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Offline

Sui Veteran BOON

anyone got an idea how i can make my computer use the memory available on my 2nd harddrive instead of my main HDD?

i got 2GB left on C: wich is the minimum i need

and like 1.31TeraByte on D:

damn game loads way too slow
  2. Offline

Sui Veteran BOON

the game is installed on D: and both internal HDD fyi
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

you need ot move some of your files/ movies games etc off you C: drive and onto the bigger drive

stored everything on the 1.31T HD and free up space on the c: drive and your pc will work again.

simple rules c: drive does the hard work,, the second drive is data storeage
  4. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Yeah, thats the only way(that I know of) unless your HDD's support RAID connection... ;)
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

We really need to know what os you are using. Win7 has a problem with the winsxs folder becoming to large.

Also when you mention memory, are you talking harddrive memory or ram memory?
  6. Online

Feidan Community Member

Cut/Paste System 32. (don't)
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

WTF kc providing tech advice?

Now I've seen it all.
  8. Online

Acina Admin Officer

This confused me last night, I thought I'd dreamt it!
  9. Offline

adagio Moderator

Yesterday was just a very strange day indeed.
  10. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Yes this is possible! Same method since winXP:
    * Right-click "Computer"
    * select "Properties"
    * left bar: "Advanced System Settings"
    * "Advanced" tab
    * Performance "Settings..."
    * "Advanced" tab
    * Virtual Memory "Change..."
    * disable "Automatically manage paging file size..."
    * "Set" no paging file on the volumes you don't want as paging memory
    * "Set" system managed size (or custom size, if you really want) on the volumes you want to include.

I recommend reserving around 2-2.5 GB for pagefile memory.
  11. Offline

Gekido Community Member

This is for RAM imitation... he want's his secondary HDD to act as a system HDD, process caching and stuff...
  12. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Have I never told you I have a degree in electornic and electrical engineering and a Masters degree in Instrumentation? computers are but little toys and thier workings are but child play......
  13. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

I love that speech :rofl:
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Every time I hear it I burst into uncontrollable laughter.

I always imagine KC building a computer to be like watching a chimp trying to put a square block through a triangular hole. :p
  15. Offline

Karasu Community Member

I don't see what you mean.. Do you want another disk to expand the buffer of the primary one? This is first of all unrelated to the files on the HDD and would still be as slow if not even slower. Apart from drive troughput and maybe your bus width if you have an old mobo, the only important thing that happens on your HDD is paging (oh, and the hyberfil.sys). This is a kind of slow memory pre-fetching for larger chuncks that wouldn't fit in RAM. It's an optional extension of the main memory, but I wouldn't turn it off on a Windows system since it will slow down significantly once your RAM is full.
  16. Offline

Gekido Community Member

That is why we're saying its impossible... his system HDD would still get overlaoded, since there's only 2GB left on it.
  17. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Perhaps Tumbleweed should've replied already. It was an SSD which was nearly full, now it has 20GB left on it so should be fine. Space Sniffer helped him clean things up a little.

If you have an SSD, and there are many files on it which you don't really want to delete and you don't want to move them to another drive without messing registry entries or shortcut's up, just use a Link Shell Extension to move things to another HDD. http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

And to further clarify this topic, he was not having memory issues but it was a lack of space on his SSD. SSD's tend to get very slow when they have no space left. Also the game in question that ran slow is a beta that uses the loading time as a benchmark as well, the 2nd time after an update it starts up much faster.
  18. Offline

adagio Moderator

Control panel/ add/remove programmes would be the easiest way to free up harddrive space. Then install them to the other drivie.

Speeding up programs is a whole new ball game. This guild could probably write five pages of info on speeding up you comp from changing your start programs. To moving Windows back up to a different drive or stopping it to the tricks.

We just need the original poster to give us more information.
  19. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

What I tried to say Adagio, is that it's been dealt with on teamspeak ;). Leaving it here like this just causes confusion.
  20. Offline

adagio Moderator

You posted while I was posting :)

Also knowing nothing about link shell extension. Does it not confuse win7 winsxs folder? Doesn't that deal with links in Windows aswell? Complete Noob on this issue.