Mage Single Target Spec

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Ketz, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

2. Offline

Gwain Community Member

well i was looking just now to pyro...
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zzI0..eftIuusuts.xx0R0M

Fulminate - Unleashes flaming death on the enemy, dealing 402 to 408 Fire damage.
    Ground of Power - +15% damage
    Internalize Charge - +20% damage
    Burning Bright - 30% damage
    Planar Attunement - 15% damage

we are ~ 720 damage
    then

Nenvin's Lament - make the next spell crit
    Overload - Incrase the crit damage by 20%

(how much is crit damage? 2x ? 1.5x ?)

if 2x -> 1728 on the single target
    if 1.5x -> 1296 on the single target

on paper it seems a good spike and you can combine that whit a delayed effect

3. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Go put 2 points in Hastened Withdrawl man before Maskerad sees your build cause she ll buttyslap you.
    Doesn't sound like severe punishment, does it ? :p
  4. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Actually, that build is centered around Ground of Power and as such you're immobile by default :p

With Countdown, instant Cinder and Fulmi hitting at the same time you'll have some nice burst. Problem is, if you want nice burst it's better to roll a rogue where your burst isn't on a 45 second cooldown and dependant on a 10% proc ;)
  5. Offline

Domain Veteran BOON

Ketz you seem to have 2 points left in your lvl 50 setup.

its hard to tell what exactly will work or not, a 10% chance on physical dmg to activate a dispell on movement impairing effects and + 50% movement speed can be good or just suck alot. It depends on how much dmg you can handle, the luck for it to trigger and and your ability to deal with the chance you just had. first its a 10% chance on physical, since you are a mage i wonder if you can just survive enough time for it to happen, and then you dont get immune to further movement impairing effects, unless you have something else for them. + the chasing abilities of your physical attackers, which are yet a bit unknown to me, from all the skills to base movement speeds and stuff.

But my guess is it will not be worth the points being spent unless you want the other tier's skills or you have a build to cope with it, but for me, when it comes to surviving, i dont like to have low probabilities involved on my escape mechanisms.
  6. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Rift has a pretty nice tradeoff in regards to survivability/CC and damage. Unless you are going to run a CC heavy build, if a melee gets to you (stupidly easy) you will have a limited set of tools. If that guy is designed to counter them, you're stuck with cooldowns and a rogue in your face. Procs like these can be true lifesavers simply because they are free.
    The deal with a 10% proc is that you do take a lot of damage and a lot of hits. There are still some questions, if it procs of AA, if you can be slowed when it's up, if it procs off dots etc that severly impacts how useful it is, but if you want to be able to kite or oh-shit your way out of a situation it will surely be useful. If you want to be a pure kiter ofcourse Ride the Wind is better.

Without Domi you will be stuck with situations where you don't have your cooldowns up to save you. For me, I want to be able to dish out high damage in the range of I-kill-you-before-you-get-to-me style, and as such I can't and won't go domi in my main Open world PvP spec. While it is great for smallscale, solo etc I can't find the room. HW is a cheap way to give me just one more chance and tool to break out of the CC-fest that is rift.

On the first build (ketz), it looks good. For me personally I loathe pets and could never rely on them, so I'd favor higher Warlock rather than Necro, but that is up to everyone.
  7. Offline

Saul Community Member

Ohhh dear. too many Mages reading official Borums...

Apart from the Unbreakable bonds being imba, there is nothing in Pyro that I cant beat with a 44/21/1 Build in Warlock/Archmage and the point for Poly in Dominator. As a PvP spec, you can't beat it at the moment., unless someone has found a nice overload build yet. and as previously mentioned Ground Power kills Pyros in PvP, at lower levels they look imba, but my Lock has outdamaged Pyros in PvP since beta 3.
  8. Offline

Gekido Community Member

what's the point of 1tp in dom? :D
  9. Offline

Saul Community Member

It increases the length of time on the Polymorph. you cant add it to Archmage as 21 points is max and you wont miss it from the Warlock build.
  10. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Yeh.. but those 4 seconds doesnt really do that much for you in pvp, especially when polymoprh breaks after any kind of damage. I don't know your exact build but i'd invest that one point in some more dps or even reconsider picking up pvp soultree(Archmage)... for pve it doesn't really matter i guess :)
  11. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Errrmmmm Saul...ALOHA you looney, where were you all this time ? :)
  12. Offline

Saul Community Member

Oi oi Me old Greek Gigalo...

I went into semi retirement playing shooters with the Cr0x boys, and Aion appealed to my "kill 2,500,350.00 Northshire Cows to ding 40" mentality of hatred towards grinding and I got so far behind I could not be arsed.

Enjoying the hell out of Rift though I guess the break did it's job.

How's you bud??
  13. Offline

Saul Community Member

Hmmm.. The more i think of it, the more your right. It is a spare point, but it could be better used I think.
  14. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Ok Saul i see why go high in the Warlock tree and why one should do the same with the Archmage one(obviously) but my question is this, how are you gonna kill anyone with just the Warlock tree before you die of boredom or some other baddie comes to your targets aid before you have a chance to completely drain him of his HP.

I like the build and the PvP approach you have and since i never leveled any toon over LvL 17 in the Betas i could be terribly wrong but i am also wondering if the Warlock tree has enough DPS to kill someone before another friend of his gets in the way.
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I may be totally wrong here also, but afaik warlock DPS is high, but its spike is low. (apart from beta 5 and earlier when it was bugged and could 1 shot people)
  16. Offline

Saul Community Member

Your right Aspira, StormCaller, and Pyro have better spike dmg, but (I could be corrected on this),, they have to manage their mana a lot more, they may out spike me, but My overall DPS is pretty close, and like the Duracell Bunnie, I'm still pumping out DD, CC, and DoT's, with 0% downtime.

Like WoW, Fire and Ice mages were perceived as the mage class to go, but in the end it was the locks everyone was scared of in PvP. Different game and different skills, but the point i'm trying to get to is because people get fixated by the big numbers, people seem to think Lock's don't do as much damage, but those DoT's add up quick and my DD is not too shabby either, add that to my lack of downtime and CC skills, then for me I think it just nudges those others for Sustained Damage & Crowd Control.

As mentioned in the Open World thread, none of us have been able to fully explore the Archmage tree and were just out of Beta, so time will tell I guess, but dont worry you will never be bored with that build Ketz, you have plenty of options.. :)
  17. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

I will be trying it out mate, that's for sure [IMG]
    Now go and make an application so we can have some more good times :)