Looking to make a cheap home made server.

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by adagio, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

Bored so looking to build something a bit different.

Looking for some help to make a cheap, always on home server that uses as little power as possible. This should be able to run server programs for 6-8 people like minecraft and terraria when the need should arise. It should also be able to hold all my music so it doesn't have to be stored on my main comp. I have a thing about putting more drives than i need on my main comp. I was looking at this motherboard and was hoping for some opinions on whether it should be powerful enough to run windows and a few programs at the same time.

http://www.ebuyer.com/242781-intel-d525mw-atom-d525-1-66ghz-vga-out-mini-itx-motherboard-boxd525mw

This will probably have 2-4 gigs of ram, be 1.8ghz dual core and not connected to a monitor.
  2. Offline

Tent Community Member

Hmm, I would think a 1.8 ghz atom CPU would not run a minecraft server well.
    I've got very limited experience with minecraft hosting but I know it's fairly demanding.
    Could be wrong, but if hosting minecraft is an important item on your checklist I would investigate some more.
  3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Those Atom CPU's really, really lack power.. use it for something like running a shop or maybe for an ATM lol.

Minecraft is far too demanding.
  4. Offline

Tal The Architect

As everyone has said, you'd need at least a desktop processor to run minecraft. So it won't be low power.
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

Everyone knows I'm interested in setting up a boon control game server. So my next idea is, buying a cheap refurbished server rack from eBay. Then seeing if a server company will host it for cheaper than it is to rent.

Any thoughts on this?
  6. Offline

Tent Community Member

I'm curious what the price comparison is between VPS, dedicated and host only with your own hardware.

From what others tell me VPS is the cheapest, followed by dedicated hosts.
    Not sure if that is true, I guess it highly depends on location, specs and bandwidth requirements.

I'll be awaiting your future updates :)
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

It's called co-location and will usually be more expensive than just renting a dedicated server for a low spec machine. Biggest issue will be if you have hardware failures, they will cost a lot to get fixed. Having a dedicated server rented will usually come with a hardware warranty.
  8. Offline

adagio Moderator

Just checked it out and theres some around the £40 a month mark to host server in the uk unmanaged like Tal said. also a lot use 95th Percentile Billling which could be a killer if we have any burst gaming days.
  9. Offline

Tal The Architect

I already know a great host for a dedi box. It's around £40/m including the box which is a core i5 with a good chunk of RAM.

The problem is, in the last vote we had regarding the servers - no-one wanted a dedicated box!
  10. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

How many game servers could we run off that (if at least 1 is minecraft)?
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

Probably as many as you'd want.

There would be a few problems:

- No real portal to start/stop gameservers (there would be a minecraft one as there's a decent one for like £20)
    - If someone sets off loads of TNT in minecraft, it could potentially affect other game servers.
  12. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Hmmm, we need a Network guru that might be able to suggest solutions :p

Basically something along the lines of:

5 game servers.
    1. Perma Minecraft server 1 - this is by far the most popular game we would be hosting
    2. Perma Minecraft server 2 - see above
    3. FPS Game server - something inter-changable that could in theory handle 32 (at least) concurrent connections, games tbc but something that can be easily installed remotely (TF2, BF3 etc)
    4. Game server 4 - not sure yet, suggestions
    5. Game server 5 - not sure yet, suggestions
    is the above feasible?
  13. Offline

Tent Community Member

Last I checked BF3 cannot be home hosted.
    You must rent an externally hosted BF3 server.

So that part would not be feasible
  14. Offline

Tal The Architect

A lot of the valve games allow you to run your own hosted servers no problem. I'm not sure on the requirements for the TF2 server etc, but it should work fine. The issue really just is the TNT etc on minecraft.

I would actually be interested in running some older game servers, like MoH:AA and Wolfenstein:ET.

I think EA went for the money with BF3 and have hosting partners which sucks. Probably multiplay?

Also, terraria (as that will probably be suggested) would only run on a Windows server... and unless you spend extra (no point) for the license, most servers run Linux (which I prefer anyway).
  15. Offline

adagio Moderator

I'll be quite happy to put a fiver in the kitty each month, we just need about 8 others to do the same.

Plus on the minecraft issue, we could ban tnt and the use of lava and water as they are the server killers.
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

TNT I would ban.

Water is fine, and lava is also fine as long as people are not retarded and place a bucket of lave up at the skybox and let it flood the area.

If the server is a whitelisted server with trustworthy people, then banning TNT is the only thing I would do, as people should be able to be trusted not to attack the skybox with lava.

I too would be up for sticking a fiver a month into a pot, but it would need to wait till after I finish my house move (still in a rental) as money is tight till then as I am spending all my free cash on stuff for the new house.

On a side note: adagio did you buy that home server off ebuyer ? Just wondering as if you did then I think Tal should be on commission. :p
  17. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Didn't we have someone who was trusted and whitelisted do this recently on our private server?

On a side note, is there any way to shield the game servers from each other?
  18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I still blame Fozia for that. :p

<3 Fozia
  19. Offline

adagio Moderator

I plan on getting it this afternoon and use it as a storage + download network server. Will buy a 2tb hard drive aswell.

Also on the server front I think cloud servers ate where each program gets so much CPU + memory. Others will know more.

My plans for the server were.

1 minecraft 10 man server running the latest minecraft mods

1 minecraft 8 man server running a multi map mod that allows all old boon maps to be available.

1 cubeworld server when released.

Once a week running a old school night where we download a old mod/game like svens and play for fun.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Cubeworld, cannot wait.