Lissabon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karasu, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Hey guys, for my Masters degree I subscribed in a specialization course and got assigned to IST in Lissabon. I'm going there for a week in less than two weeks and I was wondering if anyone lives close or has been there and can give me some tips on how I should spend my time after work. ^^
  2. Offline

Castspellar Community Member

You coming my hometown? Nobody uses Lissabon anymore, its Lisbon.
  3. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

We can give you some tips on how to spend time after work, but you might be unlucky if the weather here doesn't pan up.
  4. Offline

Angelo Community Member

After work, eat out then go home.

Portugal is all about its food, but then again you're going to Lisbon, god help you with those people.
  5. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

... and beer. Dont forget the beer.
    ... also the wine.
    But dont forget the beer.
  6. Offline

What you mean with the "those people" stuff?
    I can give you a couple of hints on what to visit do after work, its not all about food.
  7. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

It's Lisbon you fool :p And yeah, that's where I'm from.

Depends, what do you wanna do? Do you want touristy stuff, as in nice stuff to see, and good restaurants, or are you more thinking about good bars and clubs?
  8. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Not really a beer guy, but yes the beer and wine is also good.

Was just a poke at people from the south. (Im from Porto)
  9. Offline

I know you are from Porto, only a guy from Porto could and would say something like that, but well not everyone likes Lisbon.
  10. Offline

Tumbleweed Community Member

Aren't you Portuguese people supposed to be calling it Lisboa? :)
  11. Offline

Thats correct ;)
  12. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Ok, call it Lisboa then. Where I live we call it Lissabon xD You'd still speak the same letters.

And what I do really depends. I'll probably go all-out partying during the week but I'm sure there's time for touristy stuff and good food (damn I'm really hungry now) especially in the weekends. Anything goes tbh (any good cocktailbar or club? :p). There's no better beer than in Belgium anyway.
  13. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

For drinking, you want to go to an area called Bairro Alto at night, it's like a web of streets, each filled with bars and so. Do be wary, it's known to have lots of coke dealers and stuff. Still, it's where everyone goes for drinking, bar mode.
  14. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Also you have to go and eat a proper 'Francesinha' while you're in Portugal, they're awesome.
  15. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

As for food... Go to a Portugalia restaurant and have the steak with portugalia sauce, fried egg and chips. It's one of the best sauces you'll ever taste on a steak.
    There's also a really good cocktail bar called Bora-Bora, you'll have to check the address as I think they've moved, but it's a polynesian bar that serves cocktails in pint sized tribal totems.

If you like pizza, try something by Telepizza, like the cheese carbonara pizza. Trust me, telepizza blows pizza hut and domino's away.
  16. Offline

Cmon Selenus dont send him to a frenchise restaurant, in downtown of Lisboa (bairro alto aswell) you have good restaurants with good meals.
  17. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Selenus... i really hope you're trolling him 0.o
  18. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

I'm not trolling him. I have plenty of british friends that have visited portugal and found the typical traditional cuisine too different to be enjoyable, you have to take the person into consideration before making a suggestion :p So I'm offering something somewhere in between our traditional food and standardised food.

Fabulas in chiado for example, is my favourite restaurant, and every british friend I've brought there didn't enjoy the food :p
  19. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Well yeah, i understand what you're saying, but for someone who is coming for a week sending him to franchises just in case he doesnt like portuguese cuisine is a bit of a waste.
    Portugal has a very nice and rich cuisine, send him to proper non-franchise places for him to test out.
    There is no better croquetes in Lisboa than those from Gambrinus, for a "street sandwich" check out the bifanas from A Gare near Rossio train station, pizzas go for the pizzaria near Lux which is a nice dance club, and so on.

Here is a starter, its not the best choices imo but are a walk in the right direction.
  20. Offline

Angelo Community Member

I fucking love and hate that show at the same time, it makes me so god damn hungry every time I watch it.