Lapietop

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Undeadmonkey, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Undeadmonkey Veteran BOON

2. Offline

Nikitas Pistofidis Community Member

It depends on what you are planning to do with it.
  3. Offline

would it play GW2 even on the lowest settings?
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Barely. Maybe at a low resolution but its a tight one.
  5. Offline

I do not think so... 128MB of GPU and and very weak processor...
  6. Offline

can you suggest any laptops that will?
  7. Offline

Generally laptops are not recommended for gaming use. You can buy one with ~500 euro but it will not be as good as a same priced desktop.

So first ask yourself if you want to get a laptop that badly. Then you come to the choice of which one to get. :)
  8. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Want a laptop? Get this. :D
  9. Offline

Which reminds me of

DO
    NOT
    GET
    WINDOOWS
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Get windows 8 and stardock start 8

Have an OS cheaper than 7, looks like 7, runs much faster than 7 and great features for task managing.
  11. Offline

For me it created much more confusion than ease of use.

Anyway to the point.

A decent gaming laptop is this one. Or something like that (and in that budget).

But as i said before, with the same money you can get an even better and more stable desktop system.

You just won't be able to carry it around :p
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I bought a laptop with win8 on it after your posts about it fizzee...

I still think it's completely pointless to the point where I will probably buy a win7 disk and replace it. I just don't understand why it exists on non touchscreen devices.
  13. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Aspira, install stardock's start 8

Honestly, I agree that the start screen is pointless and tbh a bit shit, BUT with the start button back, it is basically a faster version of 7. (with decent multi monitor support)
  14. Offline

system setting.jpg
    Go on then upgrade it with the same amount ish ^^ ~£400
    yea i dont know how it runs gw2 either :)
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I can't say I have ever had an issue with the speed of win7 or the multi monitor support. Are these actual issues people have ?

I am not trying to troll this, just saying that I have never had these problems. I want to like win8, but I feel like it adds nothing of use unless you have touchscreen and that is after me using it for a couple of weeks.
  16. Offline

Tal The Architect

I would like to know too... Probably the ability to have different wallpapers? Or being able to snap a window to the edge where the other monitor is?
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Multi monitors on win7 is a hash job. You cannot easily span wallpapers, set different wallpapers, cycle them, nor do you have decent task bar support (start buttons on both screens for example)

Win8 also has much better task manager options
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Better File transfer options
    [IMG]

It's faster
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Uses less RAM
    [IMG]

And yet all people say is "Win 8 is shit" because of
    [IMG]

When the solution costs just £5 and looks like
    [IMG]

Oh yeah and it's cheaper... (Especially if you have a copy of xp sp3 up to win7... legit or non)

That's the last I'm going to say on the matter.
    Win 8 is technically better then Win 7 in every way except the start screen which is a subjective thing which is easily corrected if you desire.
  18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Well, thanks for the facts, but all it has done is confirmed in my mind that Win8 is not worth it for me personally, in my opinion.

I never have issues with multimonitor or multiple wallpapers. I never have issues with no start button on my secondary (or third monitor when I use it) monitor. I never have issued with task manager (it has all the functionality I need). I never sit and think, man, this 58 fps is good, but 59 would be soooo amazing, personally if I am above 30 I am happy. It uses less RAM, true, but I have 16Gb, so again, not an issue for me.

To me the OS just feels like it is made for tablets. Having used it on a laptop for a couple weeks, I don't like it. When using it as a conventional PC, its just windows 7 with a horrible interface. However, I was playing about with it on a tablet yesterday and it finally made sense. As a tablet Os, it is actually really nice to use. However, if I was buying a tablet, I would go Android over Windows all day long regardless of any facts and figures.

All in all, I will not be using it on the laptop and a Win7 disk has been ordered. Going from XP to Win7 was amazing, and I will be sticking with Win7 till a similar jump is available, Win8 (for me personally) is nowhere near that.
  19. Offline

Tal The Architect

Could not be arsed installing windows 8 and then paying an extra fiver for an addon to make it look like windows 7 just to get 2 fps.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You pay for the addon ? Haha, okay, now I am even more sure that Win8 is not for me. I hadn't looked into the addon, assumed it was free though, lol.