Lack of DPS

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Earthwall - Raith, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Offline

Earthwall - Raith Community Member

Hey fellow rangers,

is it just me, or does our class kinda lack dps ?

I know i don't really run full dps gear on my ranger right now, more like
    a mix of condition and dps (half my items are carrion, other half has rampagers in it).

But even after trying out a full dps specced build in sPvP i still have to say i kinda
    feel like my damage output is a joke compared to a thief or a warrior.

With a full Berserker (Prec, Power, Crit Dmg) Set in sPvP i was hitting for 500's or 1000 crits with a shortbow, reducing my condition damage by 50% compared to using Carrions (Condition Damage, Vit, Power) or Rampagers ( Condition Damage, Prec, Power).

I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or if i overlook something, but if i see vids of warriors stacking 1000's of damage or Thiefs critting for 7000 i start to wonder if my class is gimped.

Well, any advice that could help me understand the problem, or help me understand how this class is supposed to work is very welcome.

Greetz
  2. Offline

Tesshu Veteran BOON

Same here , I'm atm 80 and my dps is kinda freaking low , Warrior or thief can drop my hp in 3-5s to 0 and i need half hour for it QQ , same on sPvP like on WvW
  3. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

Dps was nerfed twice during the betas as the ranger was the highest in the game, also they made the pets more effective so at their peak rangers were just stupidly high.

Unfortunately you are dealing with the cries of the majority about how strong your class was.

However, the per buff was pretty significant, and ranger survivorbility along with bleed damage increase means your condition specs are very effective.

It's a trade off unfortunately, less burst but still you guys are useful whatever the weather.
  4. Offline

it's still stupid to nerf a class down to nothingness while at the same time buffing others.

as you said, our main damage now comes from bleed (or even my fking pet can deal way more damage than me)
    what if our opponent uses abilites to remove conditions ? ... i'm screwed and can't even help it.

Really hoping they either a) buff the class a bit back up cause our 1200 or 1500 range don't make up for a 400% difference in damage
    especially due to all the classes having gap closers, roots, slows anyways.

or b) they nerf the others down to our level. take away their damage as well and buff their surivability ffs. Why should we be the
    only ones to survive a second longer while everyone else gets a 300% increase in burst damage.
  5. Offline

Talisker Veteran BOON

Your just lucky you don't know how hard the nerf is. Funny i played thief first and changed to ranger in beta. Btw best dps was two handed sword don't know if it still is.
  6. Offline

HardKoar Community Member

Get used to it with Anet, if they balance the same way they did in Gw 1 you are in for a change very second week... You'll probably be forced to dance from one FOTM build to another to be 110% on your toon. Obviously , you can play whatever spec you like , even if it sux : ).
  7. Offline

Nariko Community Member

I know once you start on the Sb - the speed is sweet - hard to endure the lb speed after playing with Sb for a bit- BUT have you seen the numbers you can hit in PVP with the LB? Its like day and night. Only real prob I have in PVP is - by the time I get the Aoe everything is dead - (not many baggies) but if I do have a 1vs1 with LB/Axe/Wh its pretty nice, and mostly a win.
  8. Offline

Tesshu Veteran BOON

Well in mass pvp on WvW its nice but dps still sux , use same like you Nariko LB + Axe and WH for buff but try like yday in small group warrior did me more dmg with bow than I did to him QQ (both 80lvl) , like i said before you need poison,bleed,burn and run like Forestgump to kill someone and war or thief can just jump to you and drop your hp to 0 in max 5s :p
  9. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

What utility skills are you guys using?

Shortbow + Sharpening stone + Quickening Zypher usually drops things very quickly, and if it doesn't drop it initially it sure as shit helps stack up alot of bleeds.

And i would of thought you'd be able to kite with ease using shortbow (longbow not so much, putting a snare on the volley skill yay) using crippling + quick shot
  10. Offline

I'm currently running a Beastmaster Build seeing as my pets deal 10 times more damage than me, some lucky crits of those
    little buggers can sometimes hit for more than 5k and it's always fun to see the enemies waste their time chasing me down, while they get killed
    by the pet.

But overall, the class is just broken like fu*k.

Pauleh, even if i stack a 10+ bleeds on them, it'll still take me ages to drop someone
    while all they need are 3-4 hits.

@Longbow/Shortbow discussion for WvW, for the stuff we do the longbow is way too slow, by the
    time my skills finally go off and my arrows hit everyone is already collecting their loots ~.~
  11. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

Hmm thats quite interesting, i never actually bothered to test the beastmastery spec, so i'd be willing to give that a go with axe/wh + shortbow.

What traits did u pick up on the way out of interest and what 2 pets do u use?

i know what you mean about longbow being slow, but i found shortbow even tho its quick not being much better, i find myself using axe even tho its slower for the ricochet effect, maybe i'll try a beastmastery axe spec to see how it works out
  12. Offline

13. Offline

Pauleh Veteran BOON

hmmm must be something wrong with the link, that link goes to a longbow build, not beast mastery :<
  14. Offline

Nariko Community Member

@Longbow/Shortbow discussion for WvW, for the stuff we do the longbow is way too slow, by the
    time my skills finally go off and my arrows hit everyone is already collecting their loots ~.~[/quote]

Yes, I know what you mean - with the lb I had like 5/20 bags if even a night! Was going mental hitting dead ppl. Swapped to Sb last night and what do you know, baggies suddenly dropped more often :bounce:. Going to play around with some builds to see what works best in WvW - dont wanna rely to much on the pet there - its always getting aoed to death.
  15. Offline

16. Offline

rogtak Community Member

i was kinda freaked out when nothing changes with my shortbow damage. even all my gear was exotic berserker and gemmed with ruby dps gems.... than ı changed to longbow. i dun remember the name but att nr 2 is great. im seeing 10k with it. than switching axe-horn immidiaetly, hawks, ricochet, 1-2 auto att, and longbow att2 . if i am not jumped by invisi thieves, usualy kıll my target . but yea ranger is a utility class mostly. ive seen my thief friends damage... its almost heartbreaking :p
  17. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Im new to the ranger class, before my new alt only played with Ranger on Beta and completely loved it. Putting that aside, and reading this "lack of burst DPS" thread, i have to ask... have you tried persistent damage builds?
  18. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

The upcoming patch is ment to have alot of ranger changes(and even more for engies) so maybe rangers will be fixed soon. As for weapons i personally feel longbow has always been mandatory in www and you should focus on being more durable than glass cannon.
  19. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

This should piss off all rangers :D
  20. Offline

starscreamer Community Member

lol nice dmg:confused: