Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So Day9 was talking about this on his stream the other night saying that he will pretty much be putting Starcraft 2 on hold when Kingdoms of Amalur is released. I had heard of the game but me being me, immediately lost interest when I saw it was single player only, however.....

I have looked into it and tbh, it looks really good. Most review sites have said it is similar in style to Skyrim, but unlike Skyrim, the combat system doesn't make you want to cut yourself. They have said that the combat is as fast paced as God Of War, which has some pretty damn fast combat, so I am almost tempted to try this game out purely because of that statement, just to see how good the combat really is.

I can only hope that it doesn't have a terrible console ported UI designed by a retard like Skyrim had, because like Skyrim, the game is coming out on both XBOX360 and PS3, so there is a good chance the PC version will feel cheap, like most ports do these days.

The game is released on all platforms on the 9th of February, Steam is doing pre-order deals for those of you who like hats.

Official Site: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216517p1.html

Random reviews;

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216517p1.html
    http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/s...mon-but-combat-aint-one-of-them-rolston-says/
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-has-around-130-dungeons
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Alaisy - As the resident RPG guy of the guild, what do you make of this ?

You think its worth it ?
  3. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

The thing i find most interesting about this is the planned MMO (codename Copernicus) that will take place in the same universe.
  4. Offline

Feidan Community Member

If I can be a magical swordsman, use scythes in melee or be a cute little girl I am sold.
  5. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

i played the demo the other night. while graphics are kina oldish, i got really fond of the skill system. ur limited to 45 min of free play after the first instance, i got to like lvl 6 and got to mess around with tier2 talents. the possible combinations of weapon styles and combo abilities will proly make me try this once its out (feb. 9th?)
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Merketh - Yea I found that interesting too, but tbh, it will end up being an uninspired WoW clone if they do go ahead with it. That seems to be the running theme these days.

Balmung - 9th Feb on all platforms. Already available on Steam.
  7. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Played the demo on PS3 and on the PC via Steam (finding it on Origin is as much of a ball ache as actually using Origin). I must say apart from some coding issues that are apparent in the demo (which are fixed in the release client) as the code for the demo is 3 months old already, I had a blast, the story is nice, the combat is fast paced -a la 'God of War' and the skill system was intriguing enough that I spent most of my free-play fiddling with it and actually had to play through the demo again just to explore more.

All I can suggest is to download and have a play of the demo, at the end of the day if you play through it all, you'll use about 2 hours of your life and steam should download it very quickly (not a giant download) and you'll earn rewards for the retail game and Mass Effect 3 as well. I enjoyed myself and pre-ordered!

One thing to note if you purchase a digital copy from anywhere other than Steam (GreenMan Gaming, GoG, Origin etc) you will be required to register the game via Origin, if you buy a retail disc or the Steam digital version you will not only get extra goodies but you will not have to register it via Origin (for all the EA haters out there).
  8. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

[IMG]

I'd rather have a lobotomy, thanks anyway EA but I'll be using Steam.
  9. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Also, is it just me or do these graphics look exactly like RIFT?
  10. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

As long as the armor textures look good no issue, rift environment didn't look bad.
  11. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that in a bad way. RIFT was graphically excellent, their art style was just dull and uninspired :(
  12. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

Pretty much how I felt about it, which makes me less than hyped for the planned MMO :/
  13. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

I tried the demo and I really enjoyed it, quite enjoying playing with a gamepad, I just got one so got to test games with it. Combat was really enjoying and the story was appealing at least to me.

Will wait for reviews and such before I get it but I'm considering it.
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You bought that for DD didnt you ? :p

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  15. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Tiny bit, I've wanted a gamepad so I can play games that are more enjoyable with one for quite a while.

The pain of configuring the wii classic controller pro the first time though was not the most enjoyable but now that it works it's quite awesome ^^
  16. Offline

adagio Moderator

Hey nerien, I know your a zelda fan. Have you tried the dolphin emu? It seems my nephew has become a gaming snob like his uncle. His friends all own 360s so he won't play his Wii now as its not cool.

He will play a pc though as everthing looks better. So does the emu work well enough to play zelda so he's not embarrassed in front of his mates? Also I get kudos for being a cool uncle.
  17. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Sorry for the highly off topic post :eek:

I bought skyward sword myself and tried playing it a bit on the wii, gosh all those pixels :p

So I'm now playing it on the dolphin emulator and it do look really good.

You do need to have a actual wiimote plus controller and some kind of working sensor bar though to play it, but it's still not as smooth in the controls as on the wii but how awesome it looks really makes up for that issue.

I will get to posting a screenshot of how the game looks for me now.

Specs on my computer is,
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3,3GHz
    8GB Ram
    GTX 275

I play the game with a little trouble.

If the computer he will use got something above my CPU or a i5 or better there should be no trouble playing skyward sword on the emulator due to how cpu intensive that stuff are.

When my cpu was only set at 3GHz it was hardly playable with all the settings you need to have.

Also if the computer got a dx11 capable card the game should look even better than what I can get.

So if you could post the specs of the computer and got one of those wiimote plus + some kind of sensorbar that he can use, let me know and I can let you know all settings you need to set in dolphin to get everything working as it should.
  18. Offline

adagio Moderator

I generally take most threads sideways. He has my old comp which is

Q6600 @ 3ghZ
    4gbs RAM
    4850 gfx

He already has all the Wii equipment. I just wondered if he could use a 360 controller?
  19. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

If you could get the cpu to around 3,2GHz+ it should be pretty good.

A 360 controller won't do due to the directional sword movement you need to do to complete the game.

Yes I didn't mention you need a bluetooth adapter as well.

And the settings you may want (check boxes are the important) the other stuff can be switched up to improve performance.

http://imgur.com/a/DmR4s#0

Lastly a screenshot

[IMG]
  20. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Off to buy a Bluetooth adaptor and wireless sensor bar now.
    :D