Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I wasted most of my evening tonight playing Kerbal Space Program demo/beta while patching other games.

Sips from Yogscast covered it in his "an evening with Sips" series.

In its current state all you do is build different designs of spaceship and try and get as high as you can into space. I would assume that when the game is further along with will be more components to build with and more objectives other than just "go as high as you can and land safely", which is all it is now.

Still, despite it not containing that much content, its really fun and worth trying out if your into random indie games.

Download Link: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/download.php
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

This game is actually seriously fun, especially if you are used to playing games like Minecraft.

I have managed to build a space ship that is capable of making Orbit, but I am yet to launch a satellite or land on the moon. Those are a bit tricky.

There is also a shit load of mods for this already. Mods that allow you to build lunar landers, Saturn V's, Shuttles and even VTOL's and aircraft.

Fun little game.
  3. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

ill join u once i get bored aspira!
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Knowing you, that means your already downloaded and landed on the moon ?
  5. Offline

Saul Community Member

JUST STOP IT!!!!!!, Your like a fucking Crack Dealer.."Something for the weekend sir"... Seriously I bet you spend afternoons outside schools in a trench coat lined with Independent, niche PC games. :p
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Gotta educate the kids or else they will grow up thinking Halo and Call of Duty are examples of good games.

Onto the game;

I have now learned how to get my space ship into orbit quite well and can manage it on most launches. I will need to try and work out how to get to the moon though as I really want to try and get there. Think I will need to design a better space ship though as I am quite low on fuel once I get into orbit, so I doubt I would have enough fuel for a return trip with my current designs.
  7. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

*fzzzz*..past...*crackle*.... moon....*fzzzzt* any....*pop*.... rescue? *fzzzzz*

(I may have missed the moon and am now in deep space with no rocket fuel left)
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea I got stuck in orbit a few times last night with no fuel left to re-enter. I was trying to use my RCS thrusters to push myself back into Kerbals gravitational pull, but yea, that doesn't work, lol.

Once I make it to the moon, I am gona start grabbing addons and trying to do return journeys from the moon and launch satellites and stuff. If you look at the addons list, the game has massive depth.
  9. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I'm going for a full legit moon landing and return.
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I dunno if you can do that using vanilla parts.

I read online that you can land on the moon with vanilla parts, but not sure about a return trip.
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

It's been done, just requires you to have a 2stage rocket land on the moon (tristack liquid followed by single stack liquid)

The tricky part looks like landing without falling over.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea. There are mods that allow you to put a lunar lander on the top of your craft like the Apollo lunar lander. It has enough fuel in it to take off from the moon and thrust back towards Kerbal. Not really looked into the mods much yet because there is just far too many to get my head round. I need to figure out what the best ones are.