Just EVE...

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Maskerad, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

... Being pretty.
  2. Offline

Gizmodio Community Member

It is a pretty looking game, ill give it that.. a shame it has such a boring theme to it tho, outer space, laser pewpew, the future (i assume), all turn off factors for me :p
  3. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

When i tried the game, it felt empty and actionless... :/
  4. Offline

Omnipresent Potato Farmer

I loved it, just had no one to play it with. You defo need someone to play with so its boring.
  5. Offline

Gekido Community Member

not "someone"... you need a lot of ppl if you want to pvp, for pve it's perfectly fine to go solo... in fact - there is no point in doing pve in groups, not unless it's lvl 5 missions, and that's low sec = pvp. There are only a few missions at every lvl that you can't solo like lvl3 blockade or lvl4 worlds collide, so just skip them. :) The pve of EVE is very dull and boring, no way around that, having someone with you wont help... haven't tried the incursions yet though...
  6. Offline

Gib Community Member

I played EvE solidly for about 2 years, a little more probably and yes at first it can feel a little unusual if you are used to more mainstream style MMO's. However, the payoff comes when you stop thinking in terms of looking for story driven content, npc and pve activity and start to realise that EvE online is all about player generated content.

So wtf is player generated content, and how does it work in EvE? Well here is a taster...

Space in EvE is divided up into several broad types.

Hi-sec - Rigidly policed space where any unwanted aggression is met with a swift and overwhelmingly powerful response from CONCORD police. That's not to say you can't shoot people though. Fit up a ship for maximum alpha strike and sit off a stargate waiting for dudes to autopilot through and have your mate cargo scanning them a couple jumps ahead. Spot a juicy load, wait for them coming out of warp and into your optimal and BAM give them a full load and wreck them. Another mate races in and loots the wreck taking whatever survives of the high value cargo you spotted. Suicide ganking is great fun and a good way to make money if you set it up right and pick good targets. And, since the economy is largely player driven and high value items represent a good deal of player time to create, it is also like dipping your bucket unto a vast well of tears.

Low-sec - Not policed, combat is common but you do get a hit on your security rating making play in other areas difficult, difficult but not impossible. A lot of outlaws make a good living in low sec tracking down pilots running missions, or intercepting ships taking cargo into null-sec. A great way to make a living is ransom, scan down a player in an expensive ship and snag him with warp jammers, then open a communication with him and name your price. The money will either be forthcoming and you let him go (scam on this and you will get a rep meaning no more people will pay) , or he refuses and BAM, another object lesson in the book of being dumb in EvE.

Null-sec - Now this is where the shit really goes down. Null-sec is player owned, player controlled. If you are strong and aggressive as a group you can fight for space to live in. Null-sec offers the highest rewards in terms of resources so wars are common and fortunes made and lost. The fortunes of thousands of players hang in the balance day to day with wars raging for weeks, months and even years between opposing coalitions and alliances. Or maybe you don't want to hold space, but you like to fight. So you hire out as mercs to bolster an alliances own forces, or fight wars on anothers behalf. Shit gets a bit crazy in null-sec, groups of players can invest years of effort to get there and build their infrastructure and so on and then, in a few days, it's gone.

In the midst of all this you can be a warrior, play for pvp and train for combat skills, or maybe a gentler life, everything in EvE is made by players from raw materials up so research, manufacturing, mining, refining, playing the market. It's all there, it's you that is the butterfly causing a storm a thousand miles away. For those more inclined to be sneaky, start out in an alliance, gain peoples trust, work hard for their common goals, take responsibility for organising things, gain access to resources to enable it and then clean the fuckers out... empty the ship hangars, steal everything, get rich.

I was a warrior, a mercenary... taking contracts to evict other people from the space they held, it was fun, it was mobile, it was a very dynamic way to play and pretty much always busy.

EvE is all about the people you play with, a true MMO and driven by the people around you, and even on the side of the galaxy from you.

EvE is a sandbox, you can be who you want to be and do what you want to do... and you can be really fucking sure that just around the corner, someone is waiting to do it to you.
  7. Offline

Gizmodio Community Member

@Gib very well written Gib, made me want to try it out, tho then again i dont like outer space, lasers n stuff :(
  8. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

WHY MUST YOU TEMPT ME?!
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I have always had a great respect for EVE as being one the best (if not the best) PvP MMO's ever made.

Personally I didn't play it for that long. I just didn't like not being able move my ship around as I wanted to, the whole move to x and orbit at x movement system I just never liked and as such, I lost interest in the game after a while. However, I still keep up with things in the game and I still regard it as one of the best games I have played, despite not playing it for long.

EVE was one of the main reasons I played Darkfall, because it was like a fantasy version of EVE. Sadly Darkfall felt like it was released 6months too early and with it being a macro grind game, letting the alpha testers keep their alpha characters on release that had months of stat grinding done on them was a terrible decision that really ruined the game as there was an army of invincible people who were months ahead of the curve purely because they had access earlier.

Being a player who doesn't really like space combat and prefer fantasy stuffs, I am really looking forward to ArcheAge. From what I have seen so far, the player owned open world PvP continent seems very much like null-sec EVE. I just hope that ArcheAge will finally be an EVE-like game that I will be able to play for a long time, as I really wished I had liked EVE more because the concept is incredible.
  10. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

i understand the sandbox concept, my problem with eve was the gameplay, that felt actionless and boring, since i was used to playing space games like freelancer where the gameplay is much more action-packed... i guess the controls had role in it...
  11. Offline

12. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

is that a homeworld clone then ?
  13. Offline

Not sure tbh dude, Sins was out in 2008. Its worth a download, if you're a RTS fan you'll enjoy it.

Basically you decide how many planets etc.. you want in your system depending on how many are playing. Then the more you control the more income you receive, a little like the old Dos classic "Z".

Games can last quite along time though :)
  14. Offline

Felby Community Member

yeah I played it
    and this is so true :D
    loled

[IMG]