Java Exploit/Hack

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Aspira, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So I saw a thread over on Team Liquid talking about a new Java Exploit that allows an attacker to run arbitrary code on your machine. It uses custom java code to force download and run code (such as keyloggers) without your knowledge.

Seems this has been an issue since last month, but I have totally missed it and since there is no thread on this forum, I thought I would make one to alert you all since a good number of you will have Java installed since you play Minecraft.

It apparently only affects Java 1.7 so if your still on 1.6 you will be fine.

There is no fix yet (the latest patch by Oracle did not fix the issue according to the interwebz), so recommendations are to disable Java in your browser until there is a fix, or know that you are risk.

The thread on Team Liquid goes into a lot more detail and shows how you can disable Java in whatever browser you use. Thread here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=364226
  2. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

I got some viruses highlighted in the last few days - not sure how I got them, but I had quite a number of them. However, one of these was a Java JVM virus/trojan which may be the one mentioned here.

Microsoft Security Essentials got rid of it for me. Malwarebytes didn't see it at all. I ran both virus scanners in parallel and they both found different viruses than the other.

Two good programs, but the sum of the pair is greater than either of the halves.

Gurth
  3. Offline

Feidan Community Member

It has been around for a while. If you are using opera then to disable Jaba type "opera: plugins"(w/o space) in URL field.
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Firefox had disabled mine