Internet Security Software

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Fizzee, May 6, 2012.

1. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

What do you guys recommend?

At present I'm using Prevx 3.0 and to be fair it is outstandingly good. Tiny install, super fast (full scan in about 3-4 mins) and realtime protection.
    They are upgrading to Webroot SecureAnywhere which is the same price (£25 a year) which also has top marks in many review sites.

However, I'm a cheapskate and if possible I would like my PC to remain secure for less or free *nudge nudge*, but can't find any software which gives the performance I want which Prevx does.

Any suggestions.
  2. Offline

Tent Community Member

I've been using Avast for years.
    It has a free version, even the free version does very well in tests (should you care about those, those tell next to nothing fyi).

Mostly comes down to the user though, haven't had a hit in 10 years.
  3. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

I have been using Norton Antivirus, for many years now.

/edit: Woops, it's more than your 25 ponds. :D
  4. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

AVG (free) for Antivirus

AdBlock and NoScript addons for Firefox, although Chrome should have its own versions.

If you want a firewall, Windows firewall itself is actually very good.
  5. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

I've been using microsoft security essentials, before that i was using avast/avira. I never had any virus with all 3.
  6. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Also, I've never used Norton in my life, I'm not comfortable wilfully installing Rootkits on my computer :)
  7. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Do you need it..?
  8. Offline

Tal The Architect

Microsoft Security Essentials is fine for an average user and if you are careful about using your PC. It's super fast and integrates tightly with the operating system.

I used Prevx back when it was first released and it was ok. It's anti-malware though, not an anti-virus or firewall. I personally don't use it anymore.

Most of the anti-virus choices here are very much based on personal opinion. The only thing that counts is av-comparatives results.

March 2012 results are here:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_fd_mar2012_intl_en.pdf

Btw, if you are a member of Barclay's bank you can get Kaspersky for free. I would also recommend Avira free or Avast.

As for firewalls, Windows firewall does a great job itself. If you want to have fine-grain control as to what is allowed in or out, just download this control interface which allows for much more customisability: http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html (get the free version).
  9. Offline

Tal The Architect

And seriously, whoever uses Norton, reinstall a clean version of windows ;)
  10. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

i use Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. Is quite good.
  11. Offline

Screenager Community Member

I'd again advise tending towrds ms security essentials unless you need granluar advanced monitoring and reporting facilities. the nice thing is its pretty good at vcovering the bases, its well integrated with the OS and its pretty lightweight on your system. If you really need further support then I would tend towards avvast also . Its all down to what you need :)
    Admittedly this has been said before but Im just throwing my weight in the ms/avast camp
  12. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I've gone with Avira for now, seems to be up alongside avast but slightly ahead in results. will see how it goes.
    Cheers for the help all.
  13. Offline

Yhymoto Community Member

Since i switched to windows 7 i'm using Commando Internet Security and works good enough for me.
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

So you don't use any internet security then ? ^^
  15. Offline

adagio Moderator

Nope he just sits there without pants in stealth mode waiting, just waiting.....
  16. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Microsoft Security Essentials works perfectly well and it's free. Should be perfectly adequate for the majority of users (and I'm no big fan of Microsoft).

In work, they have a site license for McAfee and I had installed it on a work machine. One of their updates was bugged, indentifying a System32 driver as being a false positive. Absolutely destroyed my machine and cost me two days of work tracking down my "virus".

The only destructive "virus" I've ever had was "McAfee Antivirus"
  17. Offline

adagio Moderator

I remember the old days of going round a friends house for pc games night on a friday. Only to be interupted at 8 every single week by Norton kicking its virus scanner into action, lagging the game to shit. Whatever he did to change it Norton wouldnt have it and continued its reign of ruining my cs scores.

I use bit defender these days and it seems pretty good. Was a nod32 user when it was cool but it went to shit.
  18. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

MS Security Essentials here, easily the best solution I have used in recent years (I know I can't believe I said that either), its quick, lightweight and as Tal said works really well within the MS framework :)
  19. Offline

Screenager Community Member

oh god I remember that... I had to email the desktop engineering team the fix for that .. helpdesk telling them what to do.. sickening :p
  20. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

The company I work for insists on using the Trend business suite of AV software. It's so fucking awful. basically it recognizes WSUS as outside attacks, and about 40 files a day as virus' with no actual issues.

constant pain in my ass.

I recommend bitdefender at the moment, or ESET. but not so much ESET recently, they're letting me down.