Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Allstar, May 13, 2013.

1. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Another thing I wrote.

I know Merketh mentioned briefly that it was possible to make hybrid builds at ArkShip but it would be great if we could get some more detailed feedback on it.

Obviously, I know you guys that attended are limited by the NDA, but how effective was it? Did it feel like the itemisation supported it? Was it more a case of "Healing build with CC" or could you actually have a decent damage output as well?

Not shameless self advertisement.
  2. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Basically you decide your stats on the items and ability's you want to have on your bar and even allocate stat points to what ever you like as you level up. Essentially creating the character in what ever way you wish.

I believe it is more viable to be a hybrid in wildstar then say for example WoW (my only real referense) since you can in a moment change your passives and ability's as you like. In other words its highly customizable

This is what i saw as i was playing the demo
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

WoW Hybrid, good at nothing, shit at everything.

Hoping Wildstar gives us better as hybrid classes was one of the only things I hated in WoW.
  4. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Exactly my opinion on this matter, I do hope you're right Aspira.
  5. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Paladin best tank and healer right now, a bit behind on dps.
    Shadow priest among the best dps, holy and disc both doing good at healing.
    Monks the new hybrid are doing good on healer and tank while dps is not at top still not on the bottom.

Things will always vary since you have less choice but all of the hybrids are valid choices in wow atm as long as you are not on the cutting edge of progression.
    Might have been different in earlier stages of WoW but they have made things viable.

As long as hybrid choices will be viable I will be happy since I'm hoping to play a healer so would prefer not being shut out of doing any dps due to that choice.

Know this is off topic but wanted to put in my current wow experience.
  6. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I rarely give much credibility to these "X class is best at Y", I choose to believe it's more about the player, if not the same player is trying the same class and playing them equally good in the exact same circumstances, etc (nigh impossible to achieve). Hybrids should indeed be viable but then again you can't really call them hybrids in Wildstar imho since all classes have more than one role so to speak. You wouldn't call the stalker/warrior hybrids for both being able to tank and dps, so why call an esper healer/rdps a hybrid - as long as they hopefully do both things equally, atleast circumstantially well (like stalkers being better for tanking magic dmg, warriors physical, espers mainly aoe healing and spellslingers better target, etc).
  7. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

I wish it was something like Rift, those guys got it right > you buy build slots, and you can switch between builds on the fly as long as you are out of combat.
  8. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I think Rift had abit too many options, but hey to each his own :)
  9. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

The class having alot of branches or the build tabs so you could switch? If the first i do agree, 8 branches per class if im not mistaken? Overkill.
    But the build tab is a very nice touch imo.
  10. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I absolutely loved some of the stuff you could do in Rift though, I loved my Bard/Riftstalker PvP troll build
  11. Offline

Angelo Community Member

How many and how greatly does it impact ones actual stats like DPS/Tankiness? I played a game where the stats really affected it and it made for some hilarious outcomes, like a dodge mage, where literally all their used for us CC (silences/stuns/blinds) and they could literally not be hit. I would love to see something like this where stats and stats on gear could ultimately lead to crazy builds.
  12. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Yeah but i think what allstar means with hybrid is if he can be a mix of tank and healer or tank/dps healer/dps. Thats not really possible in WoW for a say paladin without respeccing in to the role. In Wildstar this was possible BUT this was at lvl 22 important to remember, no idea about endgame.

In Stormtalon 5 man dungeon it was perfectly viable for merketh to play with a 50/50 healer/dps build. Thats a lvl 20 dungeon we just have to wait and see how it turns out endgame :)
  13. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Yup I'm aware, just wanted to reply to the wow mention on the hybrid classes.
  14. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Thats the thing though, there are no true hybrids in WoW you spec in to DPS, Tank or a healer. You can't be viable Paladin healer/DPS midfight in raids
  15. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Indeed that's true, you can only add in a bit from your healer spec.
    It is viable though to use so called hybrids as a shaman to keep people alive at times, either providing high burst or sustained low healing on them.
    As a druid you can put out a lot of healing for a short while, enhanment shamans can put out high burst healing and quite high sustained healing.
    Paladins are quite crap at it and monks the new class is not good at it as well while the pure dps classes can't bring that same part of things since they don't really have any healing on their class.

My main example is that I can heal some parts on my elemental shaman just as good as the restoration shaman but it's only certain moments that it work where a criteria is met.

Not sure how things will turn out in Wildstar but I would believe if you don't do spec changes or such you may be able to bring healing skills if you want but it would probably drag down your performance using those skills. So in a sense I imagine that could be called a hybrid since you are sacrificing both dps and healing to do either of them while losing on one side to gain a bit on the other.

But ye we will see what route they end up going with this kind of thing.
  16. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

yeah playing Hybrid worked fine in that particular dungeon and level; its too hard to speculate how it will work out endgame, but playing with a good group there was no issues from what i saw keeping heals up.
  17. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Then again in a raid of 40man where it might be viable having 15 slackers, who cares about a non maxed out efficient specced hybrid :p although I would imagine being best at one thing and niche yourself for maximum effect will always come out on top.
  18. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

What Tvar says,

Hybrid = not as good a either that simple unless there is a special purpose to have onethen they need carried a bit, if they were all as good then no one will play a full dps, heal spec etc just all be hybrid.

The only time its viable is if u need a player or 2 to change spec to carry a few very specific skills for an encounter where those skills are > drop in dps/healing etc for that encounter.

That said looking at the skill points, and the way sklls, and gear works you can switch between them easily but you ain't going to be a great mid fight healer / dpser you will have to nerf one or the other.

So I can see raids developing where key players will carry two sets of armor and switch between the holy trinity between encounters depending on boss mobs etc etc, but players spliting all thier stats and skills to try and do both will result in the raid sucking, let the dps dps the healers heal and the tanks tank.
  19. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Hybrid classes in certain games played well out shine those classes that are supposed to only DPS. I won't mention tanking or healing classes as they all tend to be some form of hybrid in their own right.

Now if you mean a class playing half healer half DD, then yes they are gimping themselves and their group (unless ofc they are needed for a certain situation).
  20. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I have tended to find that it was either very situational, a spcific boss that matched perfectly with the hybrid or the actual player rather than the class that prevailed, great player getting a hybrid in top 3 on dps meter, who if he played a pure dps class was 505 of the time No 1... then crap players hiding "I am playing a Hybrid"