How bad is my PC ?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Gizmodio, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Offline

Gizmodio Community Member

Heia, last months i have been kinda disappointed over my PC, i bought it about 2 years ago and i payed 1200£ /1400€. Coz i have started Warhammer online again and played for about 2 months.. but in the open world RVR battles (24 vs 24) i have 1 FPS, it is unplayable, cant to shait.. So could you guys point out what components that draggs the rest down, or if it is just a bad PC all in all ?

Specs:
    Windows XP 32 bit Pirate copy
    Craphics card - ATI Radeon HD 4800 series
    Hardisk - Samsung HD 252HJ
    Prossessor - AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core 2,3 GHz
    RAM - 3,25GB
    Motherboard - Azus M4N72-E

If you need more info to judge it, shout out!
  2. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Ill sell you my pc, its giving me headaches. -_-

Dont seem to bad but 1200/1400 seems kinda overprice even 2 years ago.
  3. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

First things first, naughty pirate *tut tut*
    You should upgrade to win 7 64bit or you limit your ram (I'm assuming you have 4gb but 32bit limiting it)

After that the easiest upgrade is graphics. 4800 series is ok, but you could easily upgrade to 5xxx series without much processor bottling.

After that you hit an expensive upgrade.
    To get the best I would recommend an i5 2500k but it would require a motherboard to suit and ddr3 ram so you basically end up building a new machine.

Basically start by getting modern with 64bit and work up from there depending on budget.
  4. Offline

i live in Norway, thats why ^^
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

The 5xxx series are being phased out. So unless you want your card second handed, just move on to the 6xxx series. Preferably 6850 and up for good performing cards. (the 4800 series were power hungry so wouldn't worry too much about power requirements until you reach the 6970/6990 or Nvidia cards.)
  6. Offline

Ceeo Community Member

Not in Norway!
  7. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Ahhh right
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Did you see the processor? I obviously know the 5xxx series is on the way out but a 6xxx series card would be so badly bottlenecked it would be a waste of money.

Tbh he needs a new rig, but I gave a list of changes in ascending cost.
  9. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

Maybe u should try a GeForce. I have a GeForce GTX 560 Overcloacked and is working perfect. I'm very happy with the graphic card performance.
  10. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

I have a 5850 bought 1,5 years ago and im still running everything reasonably; never went under 50 fps in BF3 with medium settings. I definitely vouch for it.
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Again... Bottleneck = money spent for zero gain
  12. Offline

adagio Moderator

If you sure thats the correct motherboard you are quite capable of putting one of the high end amd processors in your machine. So far in all the reviews I have read on your motherboard it can easily take a AMD Phenom II x4. These can go upto 3.7ghz for as little as £80 proper money.

Fizzee is correct in getting windows 7 64 bit and this is the only item i never object to anyone pirating. The graphics card is another matter. Either go for a AMD 6850 or a Nvidia 560 depending on your personal preference of maker.
  13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yes I did notice the processor, and despite it being old and terribly outperformed by the new i5's and i7's it should still not form a bottleneck for a Midrange Current generation Videocard. Processor usage for most games is still quite low, feel free to check it yourself, the current gen CPU's have build a lot of headroom for GPU's.

The 5xxx series are also not much slower than the 6xxx, it is only that they are phased out. That simply means they become less available, stay at the same price and are only really available second handed (which brings its own risks).

An 5850/5870 is still a great performer compared to the 6850/6870/6950, however prices for the 6xxx are really sharp atm and they're widely available so why not?

5850 vs 6850
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/295?vs=291

5870 vs 6870
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/294?vs=290

The Nvidia GTX 560 sits around the 6870 as well, but is a little more powerhungry, and the OP did not include his current powersupply details.

Bottom line =

A new Mid-range Videocard + 64 bit Operating System will speed up your games considerably.

A new system will do that too, but will obviously cost you a lot more as well.
  14. Offline

Thanks for all replies folks, i have a 650W powersuply btw,
    Is there a difference on what components gets the heaviest load depending on what type of games you play ? Say FPS vs MMO ? is 4GB ram alright still ?
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I don't know many (if any) games which REQUIRE more than ~3gb, but more is better. Also DDR3>>>DDR2

what's your sort of budget and there are plenty of people here who can design a top machine on a budget.
  16. Offline

well at the moment i dont really want to spend any money on my current PC.. im saving up money to buy a brand new one before GW2 comes out but it will be a Alienware so doubt ill need to much help on that bit ( i know Alienware is expensive and all, but its Dell support and quality.. i have had such an amazing experience with dell before so i dont care to much about me overpaying for the PC :p )

All i wanted to achieve with this post was to see what parts of my PC were dragging my PCs performance down and by the looks of it its my Graphicscard and my 32 bit OS :) so thanks alot to everyone
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Win7 is a very good OS you won't regret the upgrade.
  18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Win7 x64 or else your not a gamer!!!
  19. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

I never regretted upgrading to w7 one bit. Also: cheap student upgrades (9 euros) ftw!
  20. Offline

Wha, where and how ?