How are people feeling about the E-sport factor in GW2? [General discussion]

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Maskerad, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Boon is a massive guild that is host to all kinds of people, with all sorts of interests. I know that some people aren't that keen on E-sports, and absolutely not competetive small-scale in MMOs. In GW2 however we'll (with 99% certanity) see a system in an mmo that is suitable for competition on a true scale, where for example time invested isn't nearly as large a factor as how skilled you are.

What we know thus far:
    Tournament play will be 5v5, of pre-established teams
    You will have access to all armor and skills without the need of unlocking them first
    You will be ranked based on your performance
    There will be an attempt to make the e-sport factor of GW2 into a "big deal"

This thread is basically here to get a discussion going on how GW2 pvp will look and work, and to get people who are really interested in it on a more competetive level to speak their mind. Flaman' discouraged.
  2. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Not decided if I want to go into it on competitive level yet, will have to see.

Mainly because I don't know if I'm going to be good enough at the game :confused:
  3. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

This!

I think im going to look towards esport if im good enought. However im pretty sure i will love WvWvW too.

Also im not sure but i think there will be only diferent looks of armors but all of them will have same stats.
  4. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Pretty sure it was mentioned that there will absolutely be different stats on armor, but all will be "maxed out".

Also, you don't get into e-sports if you're good enough, you get good enough if you're into e-sports :p
  5. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I think he meant that there is no "gear progression", which there won't be
  6. Offline

Mizou Community Member

im not going to play 5on5 esport just because i dont like beeing part in it. all u do is play play play and tbh it is a long road till u might earn some extra cash to pay food and bills. i will do WvWvW when ever i can and if some1 wants to play a 5on5 with me we can do ofc but i wont give my life for a game. im out of that age actually
  7. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

You're only as old as you feel. :bounce: Nevertheless there are extremely few people who are serious about e-sports that make a living out of it, and the absolute vast majority have jobs/studies on the side. For me it has always been about the strive to improve myself that pushed me into competetive play, which has nothing to do with anything but interest in being the best you can be.
  8. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

You can be decent perhaps even bad at a game and still be interested in e-sports :)

Just like me in Stacraft II, I'm just platinum only played 15 games total played and watch it all the time.
  9. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

If you got placed into plat that's pretty darn impressive :p (unless you advanced into plat in 15 games... :confused:) Even so this was more about the interest of playing rather than watching, I think we can all agree that e-sports can be pretty darn exiting at times when viewed at a high level.
  10. Offline

Angelo Community Member

I like watching a lot of e-sports be it SC2/CS/HoN, I've never really watched WoW Arena but when I did watch it it looked pretty good. I watched those GW1 Videos and they looked pretty good and shame i never got into GW1 but i'd love to see what GW2 is going to offer and how serious they're looking to go into the whole e-sports.
  11. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Hell I don't even play SC2 and I watch matches (although some of that is my weird obsession with Day9)

My biggest concern over GW2 pvp is wether or not there will be support for independantly hosted tournaments or wether Anet and whoever they work with will host the matches exclusively.

I hope for the sake of sport and entertainment that there are tournaments all over the place :hungry:

As to team compositions, we simply don't know enough yet. However probably the most exciting aspect of GW competetive PvP is that you aren't tied to whichever profession you decide by a need to level and gear up to endgame to play it, if you need a specific class in your comp, you can just switch like its nothing.

It would be interesting if there was also a random option :p
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Chance you actually get to win anything is slim, the guild is big and the amount of shit you will get for not inviting someone is ridiculous. It's gonna be all about handpicking people and leaving certain folks unsatisfied.

Some people will prefer skill over personality, and some personality over skill. This will end up in drama if we enforce it, people will most likely be doing 5v5 on the side, but I think it may end up problematic if we're doing WvWvW and there's several people unwilling to join in.

Also ''five'' is a strange number, it's uneven and you will either have to put people on reserve or deny people. I've been pretty pissed off within BOON Aion where people complained to me about dredgion groups ignoring them. I felt it was my responsibility to join different groups to get used to the new recruits, so they didn't feel left out.

This meant I did not have a steady group myself, and I often lost against even really bad teams, not exactly motivating. BOON had all the good classes/players in one dredgion team, and even went as far to put it together with Existence. Many people were unhappy with that.

TLDR; It will probably be WvWvW only.

My personal opinion: I'd love to do something competitive, but I can really only do that if I start with it early. But I also don't like doing a half-assed job, its all or nothing. And since I'm in a big guild as an Officer I doubt it's possible for me.
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Well, since we don't know the full details on WvWvW or the full details on 5v5, I can't really say what I will do.

What I can say thought is that we are a siege legion. We were the top siege team in Aion without zerging. We would often be able to kill twice or more our number in siege PvP because of the way the siege teams were setup and run.

So come GW2 I see the guild focusing on WvWvW. I can see people building 5v5 teams around that, but at the end of the day, the guild will focus on whatever is best for the guild, and people that can't accept that will soon move leave. That's what happened in Aion, people who preferred dredgion to sieging left. Made the siege teasm stronger as we ended up not having to carry people who cba being there.

That said, I am very interested in this 5v5 stuff, so I hope there is a way to play both. I love how the armor is unique to both so you can't use one to boost the other. Very much looking forward to finding out more info because at the moment, its just pointless to discuss this as we just don''t know how the WvWvW siege tiems will play out, but 5v5 will play out, nothing. Using GW1 as a rough guild is probably a good start, but I imagine GW2 to be different, so we just need to wait and see tbh.

Basically, I see WvWvW being BOONs #1##number one priority since we are a community. The hardcore 5v5 players who will be top ranking and winning the tournaments (should there be any) will all be from 5man elitist guilds. It's always the same.
  14. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Getting a 5v5 group together for competetive play is pretty external to guild business as it's just not that massive. You also have to remember that these things are done in teams, meaning that it's not about "handpicking people and leaving people unsatisfied", it's about playing with your _team_. Even so, Chops himself mentioned trying to support Boon teams that are interested in it.

Nevertheless there is another form of structured PvP which is hotjoinable (I'd guess similar to Scenarios, Warfronts, Battlegrounds etc) which is a more casual thing and way better for guild pickupgroups. There is also no reason why people interested in 5v5 shouldn't join for WvWvW. ^^
  15. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

You say that, but if I can speak for myself, I'd definitely focus most of my time on 1 area and try to be really good at that. If I want to be competitive that means leaving out other area's, there's more people like me in this guild and if we have no clear goal set things will definitely collide.

I'm not worried about Scenarios, Warfronts, Battlegrounds etc, those things can be done on the side. Sieging however takes a big chunk of time, and if things are timed it'll be even worse. I would definitely try to pick people I like to play with for a team, or get picked by them. But there's going to be issues and handpicking for sure, I have a feeling that if I don't do it first or take the chance to join one being made someone else will and you will end up feeling like the leftover. (EDIT: somehow enter doesn't work in my post, totally screwed up meh)
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

In Aion we had massive drama almost every night with Dredgion premades.

When your in a position within the guild where people come crying to you on a daily basis asking for it to be fixed then it gets annoying.

However, I personally will make a 5v5 grou pin GW2 that will run as the same 5 people every single time and if one person is offline, then we simply will not do any 5v5 that night. Consistant groups is the only way to get anywhere in small scale, so as much as it annoys people who are left out, there is no other option. BUT.... this will not be my "main focus". I want to focus on the siege aspect as BOON as a name has a reputation as being the one of the best siege PvP guilds out there, and I want to carry that over into yet another game.

So..... BOON as a guild will be all about the WvWvW, I am almost certain of it even without knowing the full details. The 5v5 stuff will be separate to the WvWvW and will be for you guys to do whatever you want with it, make your own groups and do your own things etc. etc. but when it comes time to siege.... you come and siege.

Just like in Aion when siege time came you quit your dredgions, in GW2, when siege times comes, you quit your 5v5.
  17. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Always choose personality, in small-scale pvp chemistry is everything.
    5v5 is a team sport. It's a given that you want good individual players, who can exploit the full range of their abilities. What's more important than that is to have players who work well together. The speed small-scale matches demands a certain chemistry between team members; that's where player personalities come in.

Skill can be coached, attitude usually can't :p

I don't think its fair to really enforce WvWvW on people who are heavily invested in competetive PvP, finding a team of 5 people that can not only work together well but also who can do it on a specific timescale is a logistical nightmare.
    Furthermore, a 5v5 BOON team that progresses well in a heavily competetive environment will be a vastly better advertisement for the Guild than any amount of WvWvW zerging in my opinion and those people should legitimately be excused. (Not meaning to be disrespectful, thats just my opinion)

I totally understand this point, because I was very much in the same situation and it was frustrating as hell.

Cliques are bad, we've seen that in Aion, RIFT andany other MMO I can think of but it comes back to my first point that building a team that HAS to be able to perfom consistently, understand each others motives and trust each other implicitly is vital for a team to be competetive at the very highest level, it really can't be avoided in a lot of ways :(
  18. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

+1
    The whole deal with practicing for 5v5 is that you just need to plan for those people to be online for a time, and very rarely is a siege something that won't benefit your team at all. I imagine that skill will be much more fluid in GW2 compared to other games, as you won't have the difference between say healing a raid and healing a small party.

However, if say sieging clashes with a tournament or timed event for 5v5 then surely the teams interested will be excused, no?
  19. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Without knowing the full information on how GW2 works when it comes to WvWvW or 5v5 I can't really make a 100% concrete answer, but what I will say is we are a sieging legion, and if GW2 follows PvP sieging that is similar to Aion in any way, this means that just like Aion, you will be forced to siege.

Just like if we were a hardcore SC2 team, you would be forced to practice to get better, if we focus on sieging (which is almost a given) you will HAVE to siege.

You will need to fit your 5v5 around the siege schedule (again, no idea what it is, we don't know, and I think it's retarded to be having this conversation this early).
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

There is talk of world benefits to winning the WvWvW which would by the nature of the term, benefit the world. So taking part would indeed help everyone, so you technically should want to take part in sieges.

5v5 is good as it will increase your skill, maybe not in a way that makes your siege abilities better, but it will no doubt make you a better player than if you stood in town between sieges.

IF <---- anyone ever makes it to the point where their 5v5 team makes it into a tournament, then ofc you would be going to that and not to a siege. HOWEVER..... this is all subject to what happens come the release of the game and we know the format. If there is a gathering of people who 5v5 on a Friday night every week, then that is not a tournament. Qualifying for an event (should there be any) would be a tournament (think LoL @ Dreamhack etc. etc.). Thing is, people will more than likely abuse any rule we make to suit their style, be it siege or 5v5, and there will come a time where people get pissed off, but at the end of the day, whatever is best for the guild is what will be done.

It really is just far too fucking early to be having this discussion as there is literally no information yet.