HOMM VI beta

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Alaisy, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

For those who haven't bought it for the beta, but may eventually:

Personally I like what they did, except for the lack of town-screen.
  2. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Played it at Dreamhack, I... am torn. :/
  3. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I've been playing this for a couple of days now. Its good. Reminds me a lot of heroes 3 and that is a big plus. The Beta is very, very limited with only a total of 4 maps to play ( 3 campaign types and 1 skirmish mode with only hot seat available right now) and lots of stuff is locked. But still im very positive to this game.
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

it plays smooth and much quicker than Heroes V and looks plenty times better. I'm indifferent of the addition of trees and getting rid of the spells, adds customization and logical heroes, removes randomness and surprises.

So far, better than V, not even close to III. Expansions will add a lot to the game though, they already said they may re-add the town-screen and you usually get more upgrades and races as well.

(Then again, I'm someone who couldn't give a rats arse about the competitive multiplayer part of this game)
  5. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

One of best game!
  6. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Just download King's Bounty, the original ( you'll need dosbox to play it ).

Better than any homm, as much as I love homm.
  7. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

I found that the randomness of the builds+spells added to the depth of the game, because there was no one-strat you could go with and faceroll. On the other hand, analyzing the trees/buffs here can be more interesting than in HOMMV, and builds will be so much more solid. This obviously goes for the hero-recruitment as well.
    Lack of townscreen doesn't bother me, but the way they implemented the borders does. Economical lockdown was a verrrry good way for a lesser opponent to get back in a game, this just puts emphasis on only the fights and multi-hero builds will be far less effective. Same goes for scouting and testing the waters, with a respec button (?!?!??!?!) this will have no relevance.
    Artifacts looked to play a very major role in HOMMVI which is sad in a sense because a solid build/strat were always better than gearing to your teeth. For example, there was an actual feeling of tradeoff when you'd go up against strong monsters defending artifacts, as in "is it worth losing this many units for this item" etc (also goes for necro as mostly non-living were guarding artifacts).
    Now it's more "HOLY SHIT AN ARTIFACT MUST HAVE" until you're geared out.
    Theeeey also raped the lore. Not going to go any deeper than that :p
  8. Offline

Saul Community Member

It looks pretty awesome, I am also a little peeved at the lack of a decent town screen, but that is just aesthetics. I also agree with 'M' that the old school randomness was fun as you never had FOTM builds that would faceroll, but you will have them now. I also agree that I don't really like the Area of Influence from your town, in the old days you had to factor in resource management of your towns, I could cripple another opponent by using a minor Hero to flank and steal resources and wither down an opponent whilst bringing the battle to them from my main Hero, this is obviously not going to happen now as soon as I move off the resource it reverts back to the town of influence, no more minor hero skirmishes that I used to enjoy.

Ahhhhhhh.. My beloved Academy have gone :(
  9. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Artifacts aren't nearly as powerful as they were in HOMM V tbh and quite expensive, also you can sabotage (7 days no resources from mine for ex.) or Plunder (take their profit and 3 days no resources). Obviously these are choices you have to make for your hero tree's, lots of choices tbh and battles are way too unpredictable still to make cookie cutter builds.

I don't really feel like im missing much in HOMM VI after playing it for a bit, less kinds of resources doesn't really have much of an impact. The hero takes a ton longer to level as well, kind of caught me by surprise as it didn't have as much impact as in heroes IV or V and possibly less than III as well.

Spells seem to become more expensive (manawise) as they go up in damage. There's a lot of monsters that can self-regenerate or regenerate and resurrect others, lots of things that got me pwnd by the AI today :p.
  10. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

There is a lot more healing then in any other heroes game so far i have noticed that too. not sure what i think of that. and alaisy have you gone up against a phoenix yet? ^^
  11. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Well, with slow leveling plundering/sabotage options will be horrible, because you'll be gimping your hero for relatively little utility.
    I also found that necro had two lifeleechers (?) and that mass ghosts builds are finally viable (woop woop)
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

nope :p, been playing as Inferno mostly (my favorite after Dungeon). Heavy Melee but the ranged sorta sucks, maybe I should go for a Might orientated hero instead of Sorc. The special skills most monsters use are generally active skills, took me a while to find out how each works but it made Inferno from piss poor to quite amazing tbh once I learned how to play it.
  13. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

necro actually has 3 ways of healing, their "racial" resurrects and heals all units up to vamps (like the 3 basic ones, archers, ghouls and ghosts) The ghosts have a sick healing that can be used 3 or 4 times i think and the liches have a healing through damage ability.

not to mention you can spec your hero in to healing too. As i said the healing in this game is a bit overkill :p
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yea I agree, when you play a faction that nearly completely lacks healing (Inferno) it can get real messy :<. Thinking of focusing on a summoning based skillset, seems that's where most skills point out to.
  15. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

not to mention ALL healing spells also resurrect dead units, for all factions. Inferno who has no healing (i think) are pretty screwed in this..
  16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I want Arch-Devils back though :(
  17. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Is dungeon still the tits-team? Please say so.
  18. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Dungeon is not there, wish it were. I liked both the new and old version of Dungeon tbh, but yeah tits > troglodytes.
  19. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

I... what? They removed dungeon?
    Please tell me you're shitting me.
  20. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

the dark elfish dungeon are sadly not in the game atm but i bet they will be added in future expansion packs. There isn't really any elf races at all in the game. sanctuary are a bunch of water spirits and nagas also