High CPU usage

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Xom, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Hey guys,

Had to return my pc because of a memory issue. They replaced my CPU to better cope with the memory (1600mhz ram+my mobo+my cpu had some compatibility errors they said). I had an i5 2500k, now have an i5 3550. Now,w hen I play GW2, it hogs CPU, to like 60%. It affects my performance when alt-tabbed, making things very slow. What might be the issue here? Anyone know what to do?

Cheers,

Xom
  2. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Let me clarify what the issue is:

When alt-tabbed out of GW2, my pc is extremely slow. Switching between tabs, typing, switching programs all has lag/is choppy. Since the only thing changed in my pc is the CPU, I assume the issue is related but am unsure. Temperatures all look good, RAM usage is good and CPU usage is 40-60%.
  3. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Might also try updating your mobos drivers, usually they have an impact on CPU performance. GW2 is very heavy on CPu - there's no wonder in that, but when alt tabbed some resources should get released, unless you're playing in full-windowed mode. So it's probably a driver/compatability problem.

P.S. i'd never change my i5 2500k for what you got. :) Sure 3550 one is 22nm, but 2500k isn't the same price as 3550 for nothing ;)

P.S.S. By "compatability issues" they probably meant that they broke a pin or two on your old CPU :D
  4. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. It made me realize what might cause the issue: playing in full-windowed mode where I used to play fullscreen. I'll try this.
    Updating the mobo won't hurt i guess, but how do I do this?

P.s. I read up on some reviews before agreeing with the swap. Guess I read the wrong ones where it was stated that 3550 performance was slightly better than 2550k. Might've fucked up and read 3570 reviews though, unsure. Just wanted to get my shit working again. Could indeed be a fuckup of their side on the repairs. However, the issue I had (memory management blue screens while having good ram according to memtest) appears to be over since the swap.
  5. Offline

Gekido Community Member

You know the model of your mobo? Just go to manufacturers site and there will be Chipset drivers, you dont need SATA or Audio or stuff like that... just chipset. Usually it's INF Update and Intel Management Engine Interface.
  6. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I would think Gekido said that because the 2550k overckocks like a beast but the 3570 does not. So out of the box the 3570 beats the 2550k a bit, once clocked to 4.5 ish (easy mode no volts increased) its pretty damn impressive.
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

This is almost definitely the reason. When you play full screen and tab out, the window will get minimised. If you are playing windowed and tab, it will still be processing all on-screen content behind your active window.
  8. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Indeed, appears this is the issue. Glad for the responses, though! Made me see my error ;-)