hey, need a new pc, need help

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Seraphin, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Offline

Seraphin Community Member

hi, as my pc broke yesterday i need a new gaming pc. price something between 800-1200eruo.
    my questions:
    which graphic card?? is a gtx 570 good, any experiences here with it?
    8gb ram should be enough right?
    which chip? amd/intel quadcore or shall i go for hexacore?
    ssd how big`? are 120gb enough or is it worth to get a bigger one for games windows etc? for datas i am planning to use a second harddisk. better 7,2k or 10k upm??? does it make any difference when it is only for data?

hope someone can help me, its pretty urgent hehe
    ty
  2. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Heey seraphin, i have the gtx570.
    For me it's an awesome card. every game max settings, no lag at aion sieges (shiftf12 enabled though :p)
    Nice card for it's price.

I have:
    intel i7 2600k
    gtx 570
    6gb ram
    asus p67 standard
    i use a harddisk, since i think ssd is still too exspensive and for gaming it doesnt improve your gameplay that much, faster loading etc.
    Price: 1300€
  3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yep and make sure to pick up the GTX 570 Twin Frozr III unless you're going for an aftermarket cooler/WC.

i7 2500k is a little cheaper and does just as well for games as the 2600k, RAM make sure it's lower than 1.65v and dual channel (2x4gb preferred, the less sticks the less work for the memory controller).

SSD, if it's only for the OS + 1 game go for 60/80 GB, if you're going to use it to accelerate an hard-drive use a 20 GB intel one. Just get a 2/3TB Harddrive that goes with it, 7200RPM (10k RPM is hardly a performance increase and a buttload of money, better to buy an SSD then).

The SSD is optional, you don't need it. However it does make a significant difference when it comes to booting or loading, also with extremely large games it doesn't slow down when its trying to access the hard-drive. 10k RPM drives like the Raptor are pointless now however so forget about them.
  4. Offline

hey nice ty for your fast answers! so i will go for the gtx 570 ^^
    ssd: i only need it for my os + photoshop, i wont install games there i think, need it mainly for photos and videos.
    so i7 2500k is enough? i mean for games, will need it for tera, gw2 and such stuff .)

ah what i forgot: is there a huge difference between gtx570 and for example hd 6870 which is far cheaper? i am quiet a hardware noob hehe
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

6870 is slower and cheaper, but put 2 together and they become as fast as a GTX 580 (unless on extremely high resolution or 3 monitor setups). Crossfire scales extremely well with the 6xxx AMD series.

Here's an example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/301?vs=306

Thing is, you need some space on your motherboard between the cards. If they're stuck on each-other the top card gets too hot (as with all dual slot coolers and SLI/Crossfire setups).

About the SSD, if you just want to use an SSD to speed up a Harddrive you can with an Intel one. Basically you buy a 20 GB SSD, you use it to accelerate a 2/3TB HDD, it uses the 20 GB as cache so you don't actually use the SSD to store anything on it but it will still be a lot faster (the whole 2 terabyte will be faster). Cheapest SSD solution.
  6. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

It is i5 2500k :p
    It will be enough, yes.

And about gtx570 vs hd6870. I Dont know.
    i never look at amd, just becoz i am in love with nvidia :D
  7. Offline

ah nice ty m8!!!
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I can't find any benchmarking proof on any of the trustworthy sites, but going by reviewers, they say both cards are pretty equal but the GTX is slightly faster, but then the Radeons use less power, run colder and run quieter.

Basically personal choice on this one, there really is not much between them.

Would like to see some non-biased benchmarking though.
  9. Offline

so you say they are pretty equal, i mean its around 120euro difference, its not like 10 euro hmmm
  10. Offline

Shantotto Guest

11. Offline

Shantotto Guest

There seems to be about a 10-20% advantage across the board in favour of the 570, but the 6970 is the price comparable board ( about £20 more than the 570 ), and that has 5-15% advantage across the board over the 570.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

That's exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find it.

[IMG]

So yea, basically the reviews are wrong.

6870 is shit.

The 6970 is around the same price as the 570 in the UK (both around £280) and both are kinda future proof cards as they are designed to work with new features coming out with new engines.

If you are on a budget however, the 5870 still is the best bang for buck card. They are around £150 in the UK, although they are pretty much sold out everywhere I looked. Only issue with the 5870 is that it isn't as future proof as the GTX 570 and the 6970. Basically its more of a quick boost of power now, where as the 6970 and the 570 will last you a lot longer.

I would buy a 6970 is you have the money to spend as you are getting a better performing, colder running, less power hungry and quieter card.
    If your on a budget, then the 5870 is probably the way to go. It's worse than the 570 and the 6970, but it's still probably value card you can get. Only problem is you will be looking to replace it well within 2 years, if not sooner.
  13. Offline

kk though 570 or 6970 any suggestions? so far i had always nvidea cards, never bought a radeon, got anyone expierences with it`?
  14. Offline

Shantotto Guest

Saying it's shit is a little unfair, you posted the custom shader results for 2560!

If you look at a more standarded resolution the difference isn't that dramatic, not to mention you shouldn't just look at 1 engine to decide.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

First two Radeons melted (talking like 10years ago cards). Stopped buying them and went to Nvidia. Bought Nvidia right up through all the generations till the GTX 280. Bought that card and was so disappointed I gave ATI another chance. Never stopped buying Radeon cards since.

I just feel that they are better made. You get similar performance (in some cases better performance) than the equivalent Nvidia card, but by using less power, producing less heat and making lesss noise.

End of the day dude, the GTX 570 and the Radeon 6970 are similarly priced. Both are good cards that will last you over 2 years, well over 2 if you upgrade to SLI/CrossFire at a later stage. So it really is up to you.
  16. Offline

ok i will try the radeon 6970, lets see .)

ty guys for your really quick help!
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You have a 6870 don't you ?:oops:

Yea a little unfair to say it's shit, but I expected more tbh. 6970 is an impressive card tbh.
  18. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

You will get 2 camps of people.
    Aspira, myself and a few others are Radeon fans. personally the only cards I've ever had to replace due to it dying are nvidia cards radeons have always lived on and only been replaced by an upgrade.

Others have the complete opposite experience.
    Stick with the company you trust most.
  19. Offline

Shantotto Guest

I have a 6990 /unfurlepeenbrbitsgonnatakemeafewminutestofinishthis.
  20. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Never had a problem with AMD cards so its all personal preference, also the 6970 seems to be limited stock I couldn't find any other than on Overclockers for 280, unless im blind. But if you can't find any or don't want to go that steep get a 6950 2G maybe?

Or as you've always had a Nvidia card stick to something you're comfortable with?