Here I come, England!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firoz, May 10, 2013.

1. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

The girl and me are planning to visit England during the summer.
    I know there are a lot of BOONs who live in England.

So I want to know what the places-to-be are, good hotels, restaurants etc etc.
    We both are students so we do not have the money for a €1000 trip. (€700-800 total?)

What are our interests?
    Musea, nature, history, castles, walks (10km?),...

Additional questions
    Is it easy to rent a car?
    How is the public transport (outside the big cities)?
  2. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Pretty sure you could buy Birmingham for that much.
  3. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

As if they would let you drive firoz
  4. Offline

Littletoe Veteran BOON

Driving in England is about as smart as shooting yourself in the face with a crossbow
  5. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

What are our interests?
    Musea, nature, history, castles, walks (10km?),...

last weekend I did the hard route up to the summit of mount snowdon, it's an enjoyable climb. Can be done in around 3 hours there and back if you're fit and healthy. They say 6 hours for most people but I think that's overstating it. Either way there's easier routes which have the same views but none of the masculinity of the climb.

Plenty of walks in the lake district, just google top 10 hikes in england and you'll get loads.

Additional questions
    Is it easy to rent a car?

very, assuming you're over 25. If you're not it costs a bit more but it's still available. iirc.

How is the public transport (outside the big cities)?

Generally excellent everywhere as long as you're ok with buses inhabited by old people.
  6. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Brighton & London, rest is bad -
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Lol you douche. :p

On a side note, if you enjoy rain and staying indoors due to rain, you could take a day to see Scotland. Jacket is mandatory.
  8. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

England, you muppet! :D
    Visiting the UK would be too costly I guess. ;)
  9. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Depends what sort of things you want to see, there is London for all the normal touristy things - can be done in a day though.

If you want Castles and the sort, then you best bet would be a drive from just outside London - through Warwick (one of the best Medieval castles in the UK), across to Stonehenge (exactly what it says on the tin), Wokeyhole caves and Cheddar Gorge, Western-Super-Mare (the UK's biggest "beach"), Bristol for the nightlife and music, then back to London for the day out :)
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Not really, if you want scenery then lake district is lovey and a day trip to Scotland is easy, though you need to go quite a long way north to get to the truly spectacular parts of Scotland.

If you are planning to stay south, London has nice museums, pretty good zoo, iconic landmarks. But no real castles.

For one of the most beautiful cities, Chester is lovely, and is a walled city, so kinda castley, and has castles fairly near by.
  11. Offline

Liverpool is at least 43 times better than London. however it's much further north.

liverpool nightlife > London
    Liverpool museums > London
    Knowsley Safari Park/Chester Zoo > London Zoo's.
    Easy access to snowdonia and lake district for walks and stuff.

Chester has castles and is right near Liverpool.
  12. Offline

Kephir Veteran BOON

gogo brighton, its free to travel and stay there :eek:
  13. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

[IMG]
  14. Offline

Mattfs Community Member

I think its easier for us to tell you things to do when we know what part of england you are going to. London is by far the most expensive place to go in england, well london and bristol, for cheaper stuff and more impressive hills etc go further north
  15. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Thanks for the info guys!

Well, we didn't decide which part of England yet.
    That's why I am asking for some advice.

So last question, which places/attractions do you guys think we really should see?
    I read Warwick, stonehenge, liverpool, chester, snowdonia, Wokeyhole caves and Cheddar Gorge.
    Any other places?
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I have been to both Cheddar Gorge and Wokeyhole and they are good fun (I even saw a wild donkey at the gorge!!! and no I was not drunk).

In fact, Somerset is probably good place to visit. There are loads of great walks, the gorge and Wokeyhole are good to see, there is also Glastonbury which probably one of the most crazy towns I have ever visited, like you can buy spells and potions from shops on the main street (also a very high amount of Druids live there). There also some pretty amazing cider in Somerset, I recommend taking a trip to Wilkes cider farm if your ever in Somerset, grade A rocket fuel. Plus the pubs down there sell some pretty amazing food, I went to one and had wildebeest burgers.

Only down side though, you will not be able to understand what anyone is saying, because most people from the UK don't understand people from Somerset.
  17. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

but in the first place.. why going in vacation in England ? :)
  18. Offline

everyone disagreeing with my post are southerners just gutted that they have to live in the South. take no notice of them. Southerners always jealous of our far superior northern cities.
  19. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Auto invite to BOON for Wildstar for anyone who nails Firoz's gf when she is in England, except Firoz, he has an auto decline if he doesn't... will need proof pic acceptable, movie preferred :D
  20. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

My gf wants to visit England and I didn't want to visit some german or french place again. We've been there the last 6years already.