Help a noob with a new SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Fizzee, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Thanks to Tal I've got a new ssd to install tonight.

My plan was to update the firmware etc first,
    Then disconnect old hdd and install win7 on the ssd, then once done, plug the old drive back in to use as the main data drive.

Will this cause problems not formatting the hdd? I'm assuming that when bios is set to boot from the ssd, the os on the hdd will be ignored and I can delete unneeded crap, like windows, program files etc without worry?

Finally, is there an easy way to install games on the non boot disc? Usually they go straight to program files / (x86) or wherever, but ill only want a couple games/apps on the ssd...

Cheers guys
  2. Offline

Tent Community Member

If you do as you say it won't cause any problems, although formatting will get rid of any fragmentation :).

Make sure you've got AHCI enabled for your SSD in the bios and double check you're using the fastest Sata port available (some main boards have both 3 and 6 GB/S).
    Double check you have the other disk unplugged while installing, if you forget you will create a dual boot.
    And keep the boot order in mind when you plug it back in.

As for installing games you will usually have to edit the path manually, often hidden behind the 'advanced' setup options.
    And with the newest steam beta you can set multiple install locations.
    For that go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads & Cloud -> Steam Library Folders.
    It's not quite yet what it needs to be as it does not work on a bunch of games, but at least it's in the working.

There are some other creative ways to install games in the right spot, but this is the 'normal' way to do it.
  3. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

any idea if steam mover will work for moving games off the old hdd to the ssd safely? Don't know how much registry issues will occur with moving already installed games in that way...
  4. Offline

Tent Community Member

I (Manually)copy my steam folders all the time without problems.

Sometimes you will have to start the download, pause download, exit steam, copy over content and verify data though.
    Steam doesn't care much about registry entries.

Non steam games sometimes do.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I download all my steam games remotely due to my connection being crap. I then just copy paste from my remote server onto an external HDD, then copy paste from there onto my PC.

Whenever I do this, it works, but like tent mentioned, you sometimes have to download a very small amount of the game.

I wouldn't use any 3rd party programs to do what can be easily achieved by copy and paste.

Oh, and Fizzee , do you have an external HDD ? If so, I would copy everything you want to keep from your current OS drive onto the external, then format your current OS HDD, then copy the files you need back onto the formatted drive. It will take a while to complete, especially if you are moving hundred of gigabytes, but if will give your HDD a right good clean up. I bought an SSD yesterday too, and this is the method I will most likely use so that both the new SSD and the old HDD are as clean as possible.

If you are not going to format, then grab JDiskReport (http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/) and use that to give your HDD a right good clean. I use it and it is amazing how much useless crap you have on your PC. I mean, I ran this a couple weeks ago and removed 200Gb of crap from my PC that just built up over the space of a year. It's a handy tool.
  6. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

So.... My SSD was DoA :(
    Have to send it back and no doubt pay carriage etc... So much for a cheap ssd.
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

Sure? Mine works great. You know you need to right click my computer, then manage, under storage -> disk management, you need to activate and format it from there.
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

doesn't even show in Bios.
    tried 3 cables, 2 power even unplugged my hdd and used those cables and get "no hard drive detected"
    :(
  9. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Ok... Second SSD arrived with the same issue, not showing in BIOS or win7.

SO, either I'm very unlucky or I'm missing something.

Things tried:
    1. Updated Bios
    2. Cleared CMOS
    3. Tried known working cables.
    4. Tried with jumper (drive shows but can't do shit with it)
    5. Changed IDE to AHCI
    6. Tried with just the ssd installed
    7. Tried practically every SATA port.
    Help!!! have I been super unlucky and recieved 2 DoA drives or am I missing something major.

My board is the Asus Sabertooth p67 Rev B with latest BIOS
    My SSD is the OCZ Vertex Plus
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Fizzee

You need to do that before anything else.
  11. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I know that mate, And believe me, if the drive appeared in windows or bios I'd be leaping with joy at this point. But the drive doesn't get detected by bios, let alone appear in Win7 disk manager.
  12. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Maybe your Motherboard does not support SSD? :s
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Chances of you getting two faulty ones in a row are pretty damn slim so there must be a reason for it not working, or you are indeed incredibly unlucky.
  14. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I assure you that is not the issue :p
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I know... I'll probably take the drive into work tomorrow and test it on our test bench, but failing that I'm stumped.
  16. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

So SSD was definately another DoA :(
    However, as it's the second one in a row OCZ are upgrading my RMA to an Agility 3 120GB :D
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I have an Agility 3 240Gb, its amazing.
  18. Offline

Tal The Architect

I should brick mine and ask for an upgrade :D