Help a bro - tech support question

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Triss, May 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Triss Community Member

During the weekend 1 of my GPUs died. I was using the 1GB GTX460s in SLI. It was decent and Tera was runnig flawlessly even with more people on the screen. During the PvP event yesterday when I arrived to the larger battle with Petans I saw how much fucking lag I now have with just 1 of the cards so I need to upgrade. What are you guys using for GPUs and what performance do you experience? Also in large battles, pl0x.

Just for reference, the rest of my system is: Core i7 @3.2GHz (first generation, yeah I know), Gigabyte UD-5 mobo, 12GB Viper Extreme DDR @ 1600MHz, 64GB OCZ Vertex for system + WD Caviar Black for storage, 850W Corsait PSU.

I do not really have a price limit but wouldn't necessarily waste money on an overkill GPU since I won't be playing anything else besides Tera and D3 for a long time. I was thinking something like GTX570 or GTX580?
  2. Offline

Alur Community Member

I can tell you quickly enough the answer, GTX580, YES you pay a bit more, but is just insane how much will be running with the new generation games than GTX 570 cause of the cores, so don't think to much about it ^^.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I use 2x AMD 5850HD in CrossFire (XFX Black edition ones... apparently they are slightly better than the standard version) and it runs everything I have played flawlessly on max settings, including Aion, K-Tera, ArcheAge etc. etc.

They coped very well with large scale PvP in Aion. Would even keep a playable level of fps in sieges with a couple hundred people. They are not magic cards though, they did eventually give up when you had entire servers in the same fortress at the same time, but yea, I felt they coped well.

You can't buy them anymore however as they are old now (like 3years I think) but considering I payed about £280 for the pair when I bought them, I am very happy with the performance to cost ratio.

I would say that I would never again buy a brand new top end graphics card after using the ones I have. Instead I would always opt for buying multiple cards that are towards the top of the mid range stuff.
  4. Offline

Triss Community Member

I was browsing the PC component shop I buy at just a minute ago and I saw that they started to offer the GTX670 which comes at the same price (and depending on brand even a bit lower) than the GTX580. Wouldn't the GTX670 be a better choice then?

And Aspira, I also lower the GTX460s, best investment ever. The cards were beast considering they cost only like 300 euro together when I bought them. However, I often had issues with SLI and hat to do some tweaking or wait for a patch, etc. That's something I don't wanna go through anymore.
  5. Offline

RaK Veteran BOON

running a i5 2500k at 8 gb ram with a ati radeon hd 6870 oc.

Kept myself at 31-32 fps during reasonably large battles with everything at max ( yesterday vs pettan example ) in tera, and a overall of 60+ everywhere else, with an ocasional drop to 50-45 at some areas with decent crowds.

The gpu is dirt cheap for its performance ( cost me 150€ ) and with your psu u can easily get 2 and crossfire them.

If you prefer nvidia, i would probably recomend a 560 gtx ti, dont think you really need a 570gtx for tera and d3 tbh and the latest can cost u 100€ more.

For d3 u dont even need to worry since even a crappy setup runs it with full details.
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yes that would be a lot faster than a 580, if you can get a hold of one because they are not yet fully in stock. Alternatively a 7970 or 7950 works great, they are around the same price and more available than the 670. Relatively more powerhungry and slightly below the 670's performance though.

I recently sold my 2x 6950's and ordered 2x 670's, but need to wait til the end of the month before my shop has them in stock.

If you want the previous generation, you better get them second handed otherwise you'll pay more than they're worth.
  7. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Don't bother with the 670gtx as yet the 580gtx is actually better :p

Stay clear of any Nvidia card that is x60 or x70 unless you buy 2 and use them in SLi they really are just not worth it . As I said stay away from 670 (while it is a nice card) the 580gtx is that much better or you could just drop the extra and pick up the 680gtx (this card is worth it) :)
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

uhm, could you please do your research before claiming that. The GTX 670 is barely a few FPS below the 680, and faster than a 580 on near every area..

I don't know why you'd get a 580 unless you could get one second handed for a much lower price, it also sucks out a lot more power.

Another reason to get a 670 is because you'd save an 80 Euro over an GTX 680, there's several factory overclocked versions from ASUS, Gainward (Phantom), MSI etc that trump the stock 680 versions as well.

Here's an easy comparison, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/517?vs=598
  9. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Its direct from Nvidia R&D :)
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I would like to see that yes, because there'd be a whole lot of benchmarks that'd be rendered invalid by that email. I don't mind being proven wrong, in fact I'd order the 7970 instead if that were the case..
  11. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Misread the email, it was a comparison of the 480 vs the 570. The the point of the general rule of thumb being the x80 and x90 chipset cards are generally better than the next iteration of the x50 and x60 - I will concede for now that the x70 chipset cards are a dark horse :p
  12. Offline

Triss Community Member

So GTX670 it is then, unless I find a rich girlfriend then I'll buy the GTX690 fo' sho' :)
  13. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

go for 670 unless you dont mind paying extra 100$ for the 680 :) (also if you can get one, get the EVGA SC version of the 670, seems to be really good.)
  14. Offline

Triss Community Member

I do not really feel like paying 100 euro more for a few FPS more. As far as I can see that 670 is within 10% of the 680. I will probably go for this one (never mind the language):

http://www.alza.sk/zotac-geforce-gtx670-2gb-ddr5-amp-edition-d328554.htm

I like Zotac and their cooling solutions.
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Definitely the best option, plus a year or so down the line you can pick up a second for next to nothing and have basically a new rig.
  16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Zotac is definitely a good choice, other choices may be the ASUS DC2 or Gainward Phantom.
  17. Offline

Triss Community Member

Thanks a lot guys.