Hearthstone

Discussion in 'Blizzard Games' started by Feidan, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Offline

Feidan Community Member

With the EU beta coming "soon" blizzard time, is anyone else looking forward to this? Been watching footage of US beta daily now. If you have tried it at gamescom, what are your thoughts?
  2. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Would like to get some "intel" on this one as well... I really like TCGs, but most of the current ones are corrupted by the cash shops and demands a lot of money to stay competitive. Been watching TB playing it and it looks promising.
  3. Offline

Littletoe Veteran BOON

I gave it a go at gamescom and really enjoyed it. Never played that sorta cardgames in my life, but it was supper easy to get into. Not sure how it will actually be like, since all we got to try out was the started decks for every class.
  4. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Well according to the conversation I had with SmilingBandit and Darkpride, this looks like a dumbed down version of Magic the Gathering (Vanguard format) where you don't have lands to produce the mana, but you add +1 cumulative mana to your manapool per turn.
  5. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Oh, it's way more dumbed down than that. And in it's "Beta" stage it's already all about spending real money to buy virtual power. AFAICT you also pay a bit for each PvP match you play. I don't see what makes the game so popular, it's hardly interactive. Having a new game in the Warcraft universe is cool and all, but I'd rather they just make another Warcraft - or anything with more in-depth gameplay/story..
  6. Offline

Feidan Community Member

My dream is Warcraft 4 where none of the WoW events happened.
  7. Offline

Gekido Community Member

Meh... so one more to the pile. Getting tired of these "cash-cow" games. At least there is "Scrolls" by Mojang - i get my fill of TCGs from it
  8. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

MtG:O?
  9. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Played it liked it quite a bit, waiting for it to hit iPad mind as that's its real market.

For those that chow down on P2W, the current arena number 1 in the US beta hasn't purchased a single card.

All card games allow you to buy randomised booster packs, so does Heathstone so what's the difference (scrolls & DotC actually allow you to purchase specific cards).

Lastly MtG is probably one of the hardest TCG's to get into and oddly enough (/sarcasm) has one of the worst communities know to man - more of an elitist stinking pile than DOTA.
  10. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

My only issue with MtG was not its community since you can always ignore or win them at their own game, but the investment needed to keep up playing at top tiers.

A new block of 1 starter + 2 expansions every 6 months (if my memory doesn't fail me) can give you huge bill since you need to collect 4 of almost each card to make competitive decks.
  11. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Basically top tier players pay $1000's to stay competitive in Magic.

Heathstone will be huge (it's made by Blizzard, based on Warcraft and is a shit tonne of fun) currently there are 9 hero's/champions/classes but that will change in the future.

As of writing this you can challenge battle.net friends to duels free, gather cards for free (winning, losing, completing quests and levelling up all reward cards) and pve for free. An arena pass is required to get involved in the arena pvp stuff, but you need a sub to do this in WoW, arena tokens (& custom arena) in GW2 etc etc. Yes you can buy booster packs but please show me one (decent) TCG/CCG where you can't, Blizzard aren't stupid they know how to convince people to spend money and this game will not be P2W as they want it to be competitive, beta is beta, don't always trust YouTubers/press that are playing!

edit: I played more than 4 hours (in the region of 25 games) of this at gamescom, against beta players in all but 2 games and have beta access!
  12. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

Bought that and hardly played it :/
  13. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I forgot to mention that you can craft your own cards by disenchanting cards that you don't want and then combining the arcane dust to generate a new card, common dust makes common cards, epic makes epic etc etc.

I also forgot to mention that "Arena" access is purchasable with real money or in game currency, when you enter an Arena you get the choice of 3 different Hero's to choose 1 of, then you get 30 choices of 3 cards to build a 30 card deck - at no point does any card you already own have any affect on this mode, it is also the same 30 cards you will play with in that round of Arena (see below).

Arena's hold the best rewards and everyone is on a level playing field (card wise) the only thing that will shine through here is skill/knowledge. Awards are always gold and cards, but the quality/quantity varies depending on how many wins you have - 3 losses and you are out btw.
  14. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Now this sounds quite interesting even having a randomization on it.
  15. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Crafting isn't random (although the number of dust you get varies per disenchant), you can choose which card you want to create.
  16. Offline

Xelendar Veteran BOON

Really? That's even more powerful than I though.
  17. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Acina, blizzie hearthstone fanboy brah? It's ok, I trust Blizzard too :)
  18. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Scrolls doesn't let you buy random packs, and the "allow(s) you to purchase specific cards" is a bit general. It allows you to choose to buy from 6 randomly chosen cards each week.... So not only may none of the cards be useful, but you are limited to a max of 6 per week.

Scrolls is easily the most wallet friendly card game if you have no self control.
  19. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I prefer wallet unfriendly games, that are good. Like a hsulf :) If they're worth it, they're worth it.
  20. Offline

Feidan Community Member