Healing

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Selenus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Hai guise!

I've noticed so far there's a big favoritism towards inquisitors for healing. Not seen anyone apply as an Operative Medic or Mercenary Bodyguard.

Any thoughts on that so far? From the skill trees (which will obviously change before release) it seems the inquisitor is simply at an advantage, but I can't see why people are avoiding the HoT healer and the shielding Bodyguard like the plague.
  2. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Sorcerers are just mechanically better.

Due to the energy/heat based resources of the other classes they can heal for a moderate amount indefinitely but will hardcap their regeneration very quickly if they will ever need to burst-heal, wheras Sorcerers can do so without concern. This is not only important in PvE but it creates an absolutely devastating difference in PvP because the other specs simply won't be able to keep up with incoming damage when someone gets focused whilst a sorc can just dump all of their force to keep someone up and CC opponents long enough to win enganements.

Sorcerers also have a clearly better skillset for PvP, with a lot of damage mitigation, instant cast abilities, "Life grip" and offensive CC pressure they are unquestionably more suited to PvP.

Also, lightsabers.
  3. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

My main reason for going inquisitor that the medic or bodyguard playstyle just not feel right to me. Maybe it's because the inquisitor healer feels more like a cleric instead of a gimmick, I dunno.

Should I get beta though, I'll try them out and reconsider. Hopefully my idea proves wrong and the implementation and playstyle is interesting.
  4. Offline

Happos Community Member

This.
  5. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

I was planning on maybe trying that route out with the bounty hunter merc, but if it proves crap or just not worth using compared to inquisitor then i'll try either tank or flamethrower DPS, whichever is more feasible
  6. Offline

Saul Community Member

7. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

I'll take a look at all the classes soon, but as a general (knowing nothing about the specifics) point.

If one class is OP or has features ("lightsabers") that everyone wants, the game designers will end up nerfing that class and buffing the other classes to counteract the huge flow of people into that one class.

Otherwise, they put huge amounts of work into the other classes and noone plays them.

So the nerfsticks/buffsticks would come out sometime early into release. That or they'd make a lot of encounters unbeatable without X numbers of the crappy classes.

Imagine you have all direct healers and they suddenly put a 'target cooldown' on direct heals'. There's plenty of ways to implement balance and I'm sure they'll be concious of this!

Also, never underestimate the power of the HOT :)

Gurth
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

PvP balance was all over the place when I Beta'd and the forums were full of people stating this fact.
    Unless they decide to go for a WoW cycle of OP UP classes they should be fixed by release so don't base your class purely on current build reviews.

Basically, beta is beta and bioware should be aware of balance issues and have time to correct it before live.
  9. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Thank you everyone for your answers! :D I was talking about this with Actionpigeon last night, the energy/heat mechanic being able to last longer but most likely not have the same throughoutput as the sorcerer, from speculation only anyway :) And ooh, I didn't know we'd have a lifegrip skill as well, this is most convenient. Something tells me I might support main rather than secondary after all! :D
  10. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I'd like to think that the other specs will ne viable, merc certainly seems to have some strong AoE throughput and a lot of people WILL play Bounty Hunters so I think there will be some balance there.
    Sadly I can't see IA getting as much love, I very much see IA becoming the Shadow Warrior of SWTOR :p
  11. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Well, hots add a fine bit of buffering when in conjunction with shields, so let's hope they fine tune it :D Not to mention, PvP mobility.
  12. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Bioware has stated that they strive to balance all advanced classes to be equally good if specced for the same job. I think there vision is that if a healing operative wishes too he can spec in to a viable pvp healer or a raid healer or what ever..

I know this is hard to balance but its good to know that this is their vision anyway :)
  13. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

I guess in this scenario is a matter of finding a balance between healing value, casting times and cooldowns. Not easy, but fingers crossed!
  14. Offline

Kephir Veteran BOON

i hope they dont buff the imperial agent's healing, it would take the fun out of the class :p
  15. Offline

Tendo Community Member

Might be interesting to read the following statement made by Bioware. It actually says what Doodle stated before, but in their own words. I colored the section where he mentions the healing in game and how they "strive" to balance all roles from different classes.

Till now, I have yet to see a game that is 100% balanced, but I never expect that to happen anyway. One class MIGHT always be a bit better in fulfilling a role than others, but I believe that they are trying to do their best to make that gap as small as humanely possible.

Have faith my young apprentice -( was gonna say padawan but seeing as we are on the dark side now ...) :p

16. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Interesting post indeed..... I guess it makes sense although this post will bite them in the ass repeatedly in the future. "I was told that my AC should do as much DPS as <insert AC> here ... whine whine etc"

But it's an interesting idea and hopefully it should help towards forming groups.

Gurth
  17. Offline

Tendo Community Member

Indeed. Statements like that will haunt them in the future. Although it gives me a certain comforting feeling that they are working on the balancing of classes/roles like that.
  18. Offline

Kephir Veteran BOON

at the moment at lvl 50 its Sorc=opperative>mercenary in lvl 50 heroics altho the opperative prefered couse of the nice skillset they have for healing
  19. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

It is no surprise this is what Bioware will say if you ask them. What are they going to say? "No we don't aim towards balance, Sith Sorcs are best for healing, Mercs blow so don't bother". No. Get a critical view on things, this is all information from one source that wants you to believe something, they are the ones selling the game. My point being, figure your class out youself and you'll see the pros and cons of the different classes sooner or later. I'm sure there are plenty. What I would hate would be every other class being clones of each other, which I am sure they are not, ie they will obviously be strong in different situations, different specs, etc.
  20. Offline

Tendo Community Member

The thing is that if they state things like this, they need to follow it up or either lose a part of their credibility. This is what Gurth also stated before. They would not make such statements if they are not remotely close to balancing classes or it's gonna bite them in the ass later (looking at Blizzard for example).

Indeed they will never reply as you stated, but if things weren't true all together they simply wouldn't have posted at all I believe, due to reasons mentioned above.

And ye, best thing is to sort things out yourself later on. See what's your own preference of playstyle and rather not look so much towards which class is a bit more OP than another, as I think BOON will take you to raids/pvp anyway as long as you play your role decent(forgive me if I'm wrong in stating this , but since every class/role gets recruited I assume it :p). Fairly sure every role will have a specific skillset that is always handy to have in a group.