Halp

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Fozia, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

Hey so like i was thinking about upgrading my gfx card for battlefield 3 any recomended cards?

i got ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series at the moment
  2. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

[IMG]

Honestly just check the beta yourself and see the performance, in the 15 days between the end of the beta and the actual release you can eventually upgrade.

If you really want to upgrade go for the 590 GTX
  3. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

whats the major difference on geforce and radeon?
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

ATI Radeons are cheaper, use less power and are quieter.

Nvidia GeForce have massive fanboy status.

Those are the main real differences.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  5. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

was thinking about the HD 6990 tho it seems it needs 2 extra power cables dno if my computer has that :p
  6. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

All true, i have a 5850 myself and id say AMDs are superior in everything besides driver support. And it can be nasty sometimes.

Regarding BF3 nVidia seems to have the upper hand so far but again, open beta just started today and im sure by the end of the week there will be benchmark charts all over the internet.
  7. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

I'm actually considering buying myself a new graphics card, too. What should I worry about, compatibility-wise?
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Most mid-end to high-end cards do nowadays, also they have got 2 slot coolers on them, some Nvidia (namely ASUS GTX 580) even have 3 slot coolers.

For the power cables you can just use 4pin molex to 6 pin pci-e cables, check your motherboard or PSU boxes to see if you have some left. Modular PSU's have 6 pin slots as well, just need to have the cables. Sometimes GPU's use 8 pin's as well.

Other things to take into account is case-airflow, the new cards ALL get very hot. 80 degrees or higher in load is not uncommon. (The 6990 in question gets extremely loud btw as well)

Cards consume power, so make sure your Power Supply Unit (PSU) can handle it. Most of the time shops tell you what kind of maximum Watt you need for a graphic card, but amps on the different rails are even more important. If a card requires 450 Watt and 24A(Amp) and your PSU can supply 600W, is an A-brand and can supply 54A on three combined rails for example you can use the card.

Also important: most of the cards are very long, make sure they fit in your case. usually the actual size measurements are there.

If you want to run 2 cards together make sure theres space between the PCI-e slots, and that they are at-least 8x or you will see a loss in performance. Some motherboards only support either SLI or Crossfire, some both, and some support it after a Bios update (flash). Dual GPU cards also require SLI/Crossfire but take up only 1 slot.
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Oh and Fozia, I have 2x 5850 in CrossFire mode and I can run games like TERA on full and F1 2011 on ultra.

Sure, 1x 6990 will be better than 2x5850, but if you cannot afford a 6990 and already have a 5850, might be worth just picking up another and doing CrossFire.
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Something to also take into account, dual GPU cards are usually more expensive than two single GPU cards. AMD's 6xxx series crossfire scales extremely well, better than Nvidia's 5xx series at the moment. So a single GTX 570 will likely beat a 6950, but a Crossfire'd 6950 will level the playfield compared to the GTX 570 in SLI.

Here's a nice GPU benchmark comparison chart, make sure to check 2011 GPU's and compare them. It's not 100% accurate but it's enough to see the different amounts of power consumption, Nvidia's tend to consume a lot of power in Furmark, don't stare blindly at it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU/88

PS: I'm selling a 6950 that's still new in the box, did not have the space required on my motherboard for it to run cool. So if anyone (particularly Xom) is interested let me know. Also have a GTX 470 I'd like to get rid of.
  11. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

also a little derailing im totally a computer noob but i got 4gb of ram and it says its only using 1.58gb isnt that low? i mean i got a windows 7 64bit shouldnt it run with all 4?
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

play a game look at it again itll be a high number:rolleyes:
  13. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

I might be, just don't have a clue whether my system can take it.
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

If you can tell me your Case brand and model, Power Supply Watt and Rail Amps. And perhaps your motherboard model, I'll probably be able to figure out what you can use.

CPU would be nice to know as well, it might be a bottleneck for a too powerful card.
  15. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

4gb total and 1,99gb available? is that right or is something wrong?
  16. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Depends how many ram heavy things you are running.
    Games tend to take quite a bit, photoshop when editing high res images, browsers with lots of tabs usually result in big memory usage as well.

Me for example always got about 1,5GB used for my browser.
    500MB per GW client I got running.

Then all other programs pile up.

I wouldn't be able to live with just 4GB of memory stuff would be really slow :p
  17. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

It's just a standard Acer Aspire M3641. Will check power and amps after GSL's finished :J
  18. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

4GB total means it recognizes all of it. 1,99GB available means you have 2,01GB of that 4 GB left to use. You obviously dont want Windows to use up all your RAM otherwise you wouldn't be able to run anything else!
  19. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

The only true reason to get Nvidia cards is that they are locking others out of the market.
    For example, some of the stuff in WOD:O will only work on Nvidia cards.
  20. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Don't think it's worth putting a monster card in that system, checked it out but you're probably better off getting a somewhat more lower end GPU. Or replacing the system completely. But an Intel Q6600 will be a bottleneck for a 6950. The case you have is rather small as well, I'd be worried about the space and temperature.

PS: the GPU in that Acer is an 8600GS, its a small card and the performance is quite appaling. But you could replace it with something like a AMD 5770 or 6770.