Half Life 2 reminder

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by adagio, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

Just incase you have forgotten :D

2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

wish more companies (esp MMO's) would pump out the animation Valve produces, they are so amazing. Just look at the Tripod and Chopper movements, then add all moving walls and shit from Portal 2. Oh and the Dog thing in Episode 1(2?) that was very well animated as well.

Liked the openness and apocalyptic feeling to the games as well (even though its not actually that open, but they make it feel open).

Other then that I find that HL2 and Portal 2 didn't leave as much of a mark on me as HL1 or Portal 1, in fact I found them ''alright'' not amazing. I frequently got bored puzzling in Portal 2, and I frequently got bored of the weapons and vehicles in HL 2 (cept the gravity gun, which millions of games copied)

HL2 still looks great, even though the graphics were already stated as ''old'' when the game came out. There hasn't been that much advancement in graphics the last few years.
  3. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

[IMG]

If you say so...
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

and let GTA be one of those games that runs like crap on any PC...
  5. Offline

Ebel Veteran BOON

bought the game on steam while ago, decent game so far im at some creepy town atm with zombies? or whatever they are.
  6. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

slightly off-topic - how is that mod working out, lots of bugs/glitches?
  7. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

The main problem with this mod is obviously the performance, you'll need a really high-end rig to run everything on max.
    Besides that there are a few gliches but he's working on them.

I'll add this so i wont completely go offtopic :p

8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

You can add as many mods as you want to games (I personally modify TES 4 and Fallout 3/NV a lot) but it will make a serious impact on your framerate. Does this mean games in general look so much better now then they did 5+ years ago?

There's lots of changes you can make in most .ini files that will yank up the graphics but make it so much harder on the system, then you have most mods that add higher resolution textures, a realistic sky, sunglare, nighttime, lighting etc.

The problem however is that an increasing amount of companies prevent you from modding the games (for ex. no dedicated servers). Lots of games are also now developed first for the consoles and then ported but still lack the mod-ability, these consoles are ancient by now..

If the graphics truly became so much better over the years, Valve would have not gotten away with Portal 2 like it did. The sound and animations are ridiculously good though.
  9. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

The problem is the existance of consoles, just check BF3's graphic differences between pc and consoles and you see how the shitty 5 years old hardware is holding us back.
    John Carmack said it well.
  10. Offline

Shantotto Guest

The trend of multiplayform xbox/ps3/pc is obviously the reason, games are designed to run on xbox/ps3 first, then higher scale assets that were degraded to make it run properly are put back in and the shinier graphics options are switched on, they are not designed to push modern pcs in any way shape or form.