GW2's Mike O'Brien on MicroTransactions

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Fizzee, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

TL : DR

You can buy Gems which you can trade for Gold
    You can earn Gold which you can trade for Gems
    Karma is earnt in game but not purchasable.
  2. Offline

Juggernaught Community Member

Actually sounds very good, although I think I have to see it live in order to really judge upon a Yay or Nay.
  3. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

With real money right? So this means you're raging against this right Fizzee? Buying gold in a game, a company totally legitimizing RMT, o-m-g. Luckily gold is usually /caerrfaecc in MMOs.
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I've never been against RMT as a whole, only paying to win.

Depends on what gold is used for vs Karma which is not buy able.
    Mike says karma is used for gear, so you aren't buying power (and from what I understand gw2 gear means fuck all vs skill unlike most mmos)

So my guess is gold is used for cosmetic crap and inventory space, bank space etc?
    If this is the case then no, I couldn't care less if people want to play to earn an extra 20 slot netherweave bag or pay £5 for one. (numbers pulled from my arse.)

If it turns out gold can buy you über weapons and armour to win PvE and PvP then I will be boycotting GW2, however nothing I've seen suggests that's the case so I can't say either way till more information comes out, but the presence of "karma" encourages me.

Mike actually states exactly my own philosophy on RMT and I somehow skim read over it >.<
  5. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

All depends on what gems will buy you. Cosmetics etc should be fine, but +xp pots ("time-saving convenience") and such I think are a bit of a slippery slope.
  6. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

7. Offline

Scarface Community Member

8. Offline

Vissarion Veteran BOON

I guess every game had his negatives that made it go to bottom, and thats what will sink GW2.
  9. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Well much depends on the implementation of the micro-transactions. I think one big difference with other MMO's that used a similar approach is that in those it was "tacked on" lateron on, while in GW2 it is part of the design from the beginning. I think (hope) that if any game can manage to make this work in a balanced way, it'll be this one.

The leaked material (which still haven't been taken down, while the site it's hosting is not a site that publishes leaks and should respond to any arenanet request to take it down) has some "iffy" bits, but then again, this is a game of horizontal progression, not vertical, so meh.
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I too find it odd that the leak is still there which I why I compromised and left enough of the link that a google search will get you the info without directly linking.

Either way, I honestly can't see anything which is horrific in the leak, as you said and TB said last night, levelling is a line not a curve and with the up and down scaling of levels mentioned, I don't think levels are going to be much more that a minor boost and more of a cosmetic thing which is awesome if that's the case.

I would guess that Monday we will see the press talk about the micro shop and all fears will be confirmed or quashed.

Can't wait to see TB play and hopefully yogs are in the beta also ( they haven't mentioned it :s )