[GW2] Interview with djWHEAT

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by F U R I E, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

http://teamlegacy.net/page/index.html/_/gw2/interview-with-djwheat-gw2-and-e-sports-r50

This pretty much sums it up :p
  2. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

We'll know for sure in about 2 years time.
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Erm, kind of.

I would agree that it will probably never be as big as Starcraft 2, at least not for a long time. However... there is no doubt that GW2 will have a very large competitive scene and that it will be a great addition to e-sports.
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

It was a stupid question IMHO. Starcraft and gw2 are very different games and to think you can compare them is just being thick.

I don't like sc, but I know it's success in esport is in that it's got slow build up and high tactic reliance on top of the physical skill. You see the tactics slowly shape up with the builds, the routes the micros.

GW2 requires the same skill and tactic levels but from a spectator position you won't see it as effectively as by the time you see the casts they have hit, you can't preempt the outcome as well.

It will be huge on the competitive scene but the person asking if it will compare to sc2 needs a reality check.
  5. Offline

Feidan Community Member

Starcraft is like overlord of e-sports and it is very hard to say that an mmo which were never really high in e-sports will be able to reach that peak starcraft is with its history of over 10 years. It is almost impossible to compete with starcraft head on but GW2 might become as big as starcraft if it is given time to grow a competitive scene of its own.
  6. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Team Legacy is really close to TeamLiquid.net (the 1st foreign starcraft website in terms of community and importance since almost a decade), it was kinda expected as a question since their readers are all starcraft 2 fans.
  7. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Yeah but isn't SC2 really just a korean fad that a few western ppl haven taken an interest in over the past few years, I mean 18 months ago no one even talked about it and having watched a couple matches I was meh, I think I will go play a game instead.
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Correct, as 18months ago it wasn't released yet.

I have been a fan of SC2 since the launch and watched the odd Broodwar game not and then, but was not a follower from the start, as I was a CS kiddie back then. SC2 is actually almost as fun just to watch as it is to play, and if ArenaNet crack that with GW2, then it will make it as an e-sport game, and I don't doubt for a second that ArenaNet will succeed with this.