[GW2] Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Analysis

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by F U R I E, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Written by Damon, one of the members of the finalist team of the PAX GW2 tournament and admin of the historical GW1 PvP forum and guild Team Quitter.

http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=26067

Also a bit sad to see the reaction of the other GW1 veterans, but i can see where they are coming from^^
  2. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

and I quote "Chaplan was outplayed" mehahaha...
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

but back on topic, the problem the GW1 veterns have is the game is not being made for them as they will likely account for 5% of the turnover... so long as it appeals to the masses and average mmo player they will be in the money = the purpose for making a video game.

Look at Star Wars they are going to make billion with a very average MMO because it appeals to the masses,, there are light sabres god damnit
  4. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Shame on them for trying to make money!!
    Jokes aside it is indeed a recurring trend in the industry nowadays, videogames are becoming mainstream and the marketing follows.

Always a bit sad to see series like Rainbows Six dumbed down to appeal to the masses, or companies that try the middle way to please both old fans and new customers ending up disappointing them both :p
    From an old fan point of view its like a kick in the teeth as you basically made the sequel possible with your passion and faith in the gaming company. Watching them turning the back on you is really, really disappointing.

Hopefully GW2 will be the exception.
  5. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

The wording of MMO kind of gives that away in the first place, Massively Multiplayer Online. The genre has steered away from it's nerdyness for a while now. A custom tailored MMO for a niche does not survive, why even bother must be what dev's, companies and investors are thinking.

I can appreciate GW2's effort on the art department, I think that's what sets it apart. Still by adding so many different game-types in one game, while maintaining E-sport characteristic's makes it impossible to keep all fans happy.
  6. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I wasn't joking I've seen it time after time, it started in WoW, 40 man Naxx most player never even saw, and Blizzard realised keeping 90% of the money happy > keeping 10% of the money happy, so they tried and make everythgin accessable, the PvP gear became farmed so everyone could get a full set easy mode, and the PvE gets nerfed every 3 month so the casuals in mainly pvp gear can go farm the PvE instance, thats way the money keep flowing.

Look at Aion, dredgions got AP increases for losing and quests added so everyone gets AP used to be win = 7k ap, lose 1.5-2k ap now its win 9k ap lose 6k ap killing mobs give more AP, repeatable quest give AP and so on.

So yeah all MMO = being average and looking good = good enough, being average with a few nice HC options = best but they cost money and cause player drama. Going full out HC in a game = 90% quit in 6 months butthurt.

So while games cost 100 million to make expect the first option everytime where they aim to make as many people as possible happy. The best games will have some of the second in it to give it an edge and thats about the best we can expect.
  7. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

The (poor) joke was mine, i wasnt referring to you :p
  8. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Unfortunately at the end of the day, as you have stated, it's a business. If making MMOs was not profitable in any way whatsoever, you wouldn't have a market for them. Look at Fury for example, it was simple but I quite enjoyed that game. Didn't last more than a few months before they had to close down - then again, it had a huge departure from the MMO model, no monthly payments and all.

The MMO market is saturated anyway, if you think 10 years back you had Ultima Online, Everquest and Anarchy Online. That's it - You wanna play a MMO, you got 3 options. Now every company and their kitchen sink have a MMO out there, some of them quite obscure and niche-targetted and that's the reason they remain obscure / small / relatively unsuccesful in comparison - they're niche.

As we know, quantity does not mean quality, so the art remains in making a game that appeals to the masses AND to the more demanding players, the fine line in being able to make a game that is simple enough to appeal to working people / with families that cannot play more than an hour or two a day, and to the hardcore players with endless hours at their disposal that are looking for a challenge. Hopefully GW2 will success in this aspect. For one the WvWvW concept should be more than enough to win a LOT of competitive players over.
  9. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

What does WvWvW have to do with competitive players? Most of those focus on small scale encounters where individual skill matters more wouldn't you agree?
  10. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Because I know a fair amount that would rather focus on WvW than arena queueing. Perhaps I should have phrased differently. What I mean is that WvWvW should be more than enough to win a lot of PvPers over :)

Not many games offer a dynamic form of open world PvP anymore - Aion was very decent on that aspect at release as you recall, but there hasn't been anything since that even comes close. I would assume the majority of the PvP community is starved for some proper open world pewing, while a handful remains true to competitive small-scale fights.

DAoC for example struck a very decent balance on that aspect for years, up until about New Frontiers. Focus of the game was always 8vs8 group fights in open world (See the mix of open world with small scale working very much in its favour), since there was no arena type option in the game, but every once in a while everyone did some MASSIVE open world PvP with what was called Relic Raids, capturing artifacts from an enemy realm to increase physical or magical effectiveness.
  11. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Because I am competitive and WvWvW is where you'll find me, drive, determination, passion, committment, oh and skill because I have leet skills at pushing buttons, yeah players buttons not crappy keyboard buttons all triats of competitive players and all are needed to drive WvWvW comeon Tvar controlling da masses > control a crappy little computer sprite! RWARRRRRR!
  12. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

hmm whats a megalomaniac?
  13. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

What WOULD be megalomania for a lesser creature. :mask: