Guild Wars, the good, the bad the ugly... and Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Gib, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Offline

Gib Community Member

So I stumbled upon Boon again after playing with some of you several years ago in WoW, and that happened because you are gaming celebrities featured showcasing GW2 PvP vs the devs.

And I have to say the teasers and development philosophy for GW2 are impressive making me want to play.

But I didn't play Guild Wars 1, and I just tried a 7 day free trial which is nowhere near enough to get a good feel for the game.

So I'm curious.

What was good, what was bad, what was frankly ugly, and what are your hopes for Guild Wars 2 in terms of how it will improve upon the best of, and remove the worst of Guild Wars 1 game-play. Full frank comment and explanation will be very welcome.
  2. Offline

Mizou Community Member

Just to point this out ASAP - GW2 is no way close to anything GW1 was, totaly new game. Lore and some skills are the same, thats it.

If you play gw1 and think oh gw2 will be like this... no wrong. I cant say much more right now... cooking so my belly does grow again.
  3. Offline

Gib Community Member

That message comes through from the information they are releasing, but even so there must be basic elements or principles of gameplay that were good or bad that may be carried forward.

It is also interesting to hear what mistakes developers made with a game and how, if at all, they tried to correct them and make improvements. What kind of relationship do they have with the community and are there positive benefits.

For example Blizzard are pretty notorious for not really listening to the community in an effective way, while CCP developers have had over time managed to make some very good decisions for EvE online as a result of community involvement. It is not always effective I grant you, but a history of development, changes made and where the seeds for GW2 are set from GW1 is interesting.
  4. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Lore and the world design is quite good and it carries forward from Guild Wars 1.

The combat system is being completely revamped which I still have to make a decision one, I do love guild wars 1 combat system and the new thing is still to be tested out properly.

They are moving away from Guild Wars instancing system to an open world system which is good I think but I still consider the guild wars instance system to be a nice option.

The major draw towards Guild Wars 2 for me right now is the three server 4 zone big PvP area (WvWvW) which I hope will turn out to be nice.

But to conclude if you want something with Guild Wars kind of combat system you will be highly disappointed I believe.