Guild Wars 2 PvP - Zerg vs eSport

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2' started by Saul, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Saul Community Member

Always had hope the game would turn out to be pretty awesome, but I had one fear about end game and the old GW1 leanings to being more an E-Sports type of PvP than anything else.

After seeing the Open World PvP my fears have been buried on that score.

I have to say whilst I fought for SWTOR on these forums and knew the game would not be everyones cup of tea, I was bitterly dissapointed in the end game PvP and content. Not that it's broke and can get fixed, but that it is fundamentally flawed from the outset, meaning all updates will just be sticking plasters on a gaping wound imo.

This kind of soured me to MMO's recently, as I got caught up in all the hype for WAR as well as SWTOR, and both had good and bad points but ultimately both have failed to inspire me and the majority of MMO players at end game.

I have to say though GW2 is looking like the stand out MMO of recent times, even though I dont want to believe the hype and be let down again.

The one thing that inspires me about GW2 more than any other recent MMO, is what KC said on the Home page, the difference between the Dev Videos, etc, is that these guys really love their title, they are really passionate about it and very confident of it, as opposed to just going through the corporate marketing process of promoting a piece of work that may as well be an excel spreadsheet, for the enthusiasm on display.
  2. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

So was Paul Barnett... yeah need i say more? :)

Personally i despise zerg vs zerg combat and i am more excited about smaller skirmishes where personal understanding shines instead of getting carried (in some cases) inside a giant ball of zeeeeeeeerg
  3. Offline

Saul Community Member

Fair point about Paul Barnett, but I could not disagree more about Open World PvP.

I play FPS games for close knit team play over a static map, because FPS games do it soo much better than MMO's. No way does Huttball, or any MMO Scenario/Warzone/
    Whatever compare to a BF3 map.

Zerg Vs few is boring as hell for both parties, but a good old Zerg vs Zerg that ebbs and flows between sides is exciting and epic in the way that small Premades in scenarios can never be.

It's funny that in WoW with it's Arena's and rated Warzones, people still have fond memories of Tarren Mill, Crossroads and Alterac Valley.

If you want to prove your superior skill in a premade unit, form an FPS Clan, otherwise your just hiding in an inferior MMO. :p
  4. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

coming from a very high level quake 2 clan (top 10 ctf clan in the uk I may add) it depends what you count on as fps skill.....

If you count on looking at the floor hitting button switching weapons turning 67.4 degrees angle for a rail shot and shooting someone in the head skill, fine it is. But there are other skills involved in mmo pvp as things are auto targetted.

high level mmo pvp also requires skill but different types. Map awareness, positioning, knowing different player types and classes, over extending, focus, assisting, supporting, and many more obvious and less obvious ones people may think of.

Yeah arguably some or all of these can be used in fps at some level however your point was in the quote, and I dont think it's correct :p
  5. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I'm often the melee dps type in mmo's and being in a Zerg then is simply not my idea of fun.. :p
  6. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

Aion:

- templars mass pull (dp skill)
    - gladiators mass aoe & dp skill
    win :)

or...

Gladiators, push, aoe and sacrifice :) high ranks stay behind. I remember Killa or Taro or Nela sacrificing countless times as a star officers hehe.
  7. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

Well, previous message was kinda off topic :).

On topic, I usually try not to hype myself out with games because I know most of them will be disappointing. Somehow this worked for me for the past 10 years or so, since I got to play only games I really enjoyed and pushed aside everything else.

I ran into Guild Wars in an MBA class, seeing it on the screen of a colleague. I asked about it and he gave me his account to play and check the game out. I was instantly hooked up. I have never played WoW before that so I guess GW1 spoiled me with all the good things (maybe this is why nothing else sub par appealed to me afterwards).

I've tried WoW a couple of times, never could play it more than 2-3 days or past level 10.

After doing everything in GW1 and getting bored of it (took me like 4 years and more than 5k hours played - at some point I had more than 8hrs/day played on average) Aion came around and I got all hyped about it (flight, beautiful graphics, world pvp, etc). It was all good and peachy for 1.5 years (paying subscription, mind you). Despite the crap people gave to Aion, I still think it was a pretty decent game. I wouldn't pay subscription to it more than I already did, but if it were free to play from the start, I am sure most of us would have stuck longer. Now that it comes back f2p, I am willing to give it another go (casual mode though) if there's a little active community around here (at least until GW2).

I think in this period, between GW1 and Aion, Age of Conan and Warhammer came around, but somehow I never got caught into their hype. Can't really say why, I watched videos, read info about games, but they just didn't come out with anything that GW1 didn't have, not to mention none of them had flight, like Aion did.

The same happened with Rift, SWTOR or other games that just came around since then. None seemed to bring anything special. Rift was sexy with its dynamic events, but it's graphics and fight mechanics sucked so hard that I gave it up after just one beta event. SWTOR the same, just didn't appeal to me at all (graphics, movement, stuff like that). That's why I didn't even bother to apply for the guild in these games since I knew for sure I won't stay long.

I guess that starting my MMO experience with GW1 really spoiled me in terms of video games. Pretty much the same happened with Aion (it really had a lot of things well done - groups/alliances, legions, sieges, personal trade shop/auction house, flight, etc).

Now the only current hype I have is that of GW2. Somehow I know I'll get sucked into this game and will play it for a while, albeit not so much as I did with GW1 (had more free time back then). I hope it won't destroy my hype :) and I hope that ArenaNet will do good things like they did with GW1.

So all I can say is don't get your hopes too high with games in general and don't expect anything and then you won't be disappointed (easier said than done).
  8. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

Mass pvp in gw2 is going to be great, i still have my doubts on how good competitive pvp will be.
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

WWW seems to offer, zerge vs zerge epic style in 3 factions, Guild vs Guild oppertunities too, group vs group and good old ganking it just depends where you hang about on the map.

Go to the big keep with loads of crossed swords and it will be zerge,,, hang about between that fight and a faction home base and you can pick of solo, or small group all day

Go to tower and have nice Guild vs Guild sized fights, and supplies for group sized fun its all there depending what pll want because and organised server is going to need to do it all to win, be in a Zerge, Guild Sized fast moving raids, Gank groups at choke points and scouts running solo its all there.
  10. Offline

Undeadmonkey Veteran BOON

If im not mistaken (if i am ignore all this) they will be 3 teams in this WvW which immeidatly puts another level in tactics that should be used into the fray, so yes i will say you will get zerg vs zerg combat but if that happens all you have to think of if they are doing that how many other places have they left vunerable in this massive world, so the smart assumption would be to go elsewhere and let the zerg vs zerg fight happen,
    so in short if you dont like the zerg vs zerg fights you dont have to take part in them there are lots of small yet important places to be taken around this world ;)
  11. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

Competitive people make for competitive pvp, if mass pvp takes off people aren't going to ignore the competitive stuff, that's where e-peens are created.

Just like aion and dregion. I'm sure boon after it's success with forts wasn't gonna put out a shitty team in dredgion, jesus no, they wanted to want to win everything!! ;p
  12. Offline

Rev Veteran BOON

zerg vs zerg makes baby revzy cry :(

going to be interesting to see how the servers hold up for the massive scale battles, has any mmo gotten this right cept warhammer? (lol yeh im kidding)
  13. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Zerg vs Zerg is far more exciting IMO. Also becomes more about good leadership than individual skill which is fine by me :D
  14. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Either you're one of those 100 footsoldier no-names that Fizzee is fine with, or you're in it for the strategic leadership and challenge that can prove very exciting for officers and such imo. I'd like for it to be some kind of opportunity to have smaller scale and actually make an INDIVIDUAL difference. Sure a full zerg of HSULFY's gonna roflpwn a gang of clickers but still. Even if you hang around the outer rims of full zerg action, you're either going to be overwhelmed by some zerg at some point or having to run like madmen to survive, if you're sitting on something remotely important to the outcome of the battle. You see where I'm going with this. I thought guild wars was about guild vs guild (or BOON vs server) more than server vs server, only instanced pvp (e-sports BGs lol) and no open world pvp gankige, sadface.

Guildwars total war, where you can play one of the units!? :D
  15. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

Somewhere in this horrible place we call a universe, a fairy died at the thought of revzy crying. Maybe two fairies in fact.

Cruel world.
  16. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

Read the thread and then went to reply but katie covered almost all the points I would want to make about the possibilities for not only zerg vzerg, but also guild v guild and smaller groups. Anything katie didn't cover, tvar did with his mention of the strategic stuff. It's basically a big game of Risk, anticipating enemy reactions and moving your forces around into optimal positions.
  17. Offline

Tigros Veteran BOON

Yup. I also agree that it will be everything you and your momma (Katie) want it to be.

It won't be the GW1 GvG style, unless it's competitive PvP and teams are made up of guildies only (though I doubt there will be a guild ladder for that, although, you never know). They will probably add some kind of ladder for WvW guild performances (I'd see it as a normal thing), but with competitive PvP where teams can be made of whomever wants (even randoms), it will be hard to put a guild tag on it.

Anyways, unless Katie forces you to be where you don't want to be :), WvW should be fun.
  18. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Say I'm specced for small skirmishes to go around and wtfpwn ppl up with my handful of mates. Say I don't want to zerg, play buffbot, use ranged aoe skills but prefer to melee, and if we hit a place that holds any importance to the game we will get zerged ourselves. Problem???
  19. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

cant compare quake or any of the old FPS games not even the COD games can compare to the teamplay and tactics on battlefield 3
  20. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

What would you know about that, you suck! :D