Google Goggles

Discussion in 'TERA' started by Aspira, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I mentioned this the other day, its a Google app for Android (also iphone now too I think) which basically takes a screenshot with your phones camera and then google searches the image.

One very useful thing it does is, you can take a picture of text and translate it using translate.google.com.

IMPORTANT: Korean not yet supported.

This means that currently it is of no real use to people who wanted it for translating Korean to <other> whilst playing the Korean release of TERA. However it may not be useless forever....

Currently, the following is supported;

Input languages:
    English, French, Italian, German, Spanish

Output languages:
    English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Afrikaans, Albanian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Galician, Icelandic, Irish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish

Although it's of no real use to help translate Korean at the moment, it does work very well for other languages when taking a picture of your monitor, so you can screenshot ingame stuff on a monitor and get results. Also, Google themselves have officially said that they intend to have translation input and output support for all 52 languages currently on translate.google.com, so eventually there will be Korean support.

Basically, this might not be out in time for it to be useful for overseas TERA players, but it could be very handy for any future Eastern games which you have to play on Korean/Japanese/Chinese localised servers. So, for now its useless for TERA, but in the future it could become a must have for anyone playing Eastern games on Eastern servers who do not speak the local language. For now, we are just going to have to sack up and learn it.

If anyone wants to install the addon now and just let it auto update with each new release (new languages supported each release) then either search "Google Goggles" on the Marketplace or use a barcode scanner on the image below.

[IMG]

Note: I did have some results using it on some text but I assume it was complete fluke due to it not being supported. Maybe was picking up on nearby images close to the text etc. etc.
  2. Offline

Tal The Architect

Yep, there is an iPhone app for it too. It's part of the google app.

Seems like a good idea!
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Good to know there is an iPhone variant.

Like I said, although it's of no real use to those playing Asian localised games currently, in the future you could technically be able to screenshot quest text, mob names, NPC's, or whatever and have a literal translation on you phone screen in seconds.

Worth keeping an eye on in my opinion.
  4. Offline

Acina Admin Officer