gfx card problems

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by gir, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Offline

gir Veteran BOON

My gfx card/drivers keep on fewking up 2-3 times a day on my now to getting old ati xfx hd 4890.
    I'ts not a heat issue as the degrees is stable and low with a powerful custom fan i have, and different drivers seems to be having same effect, maybe its time to get a new card tho my fps seems to be all around pretty good still. Anyway any suggestions on anythings that might help against the random lockdowns or good new valuable gfx cards?
    I saw the GeForce GTX 560 Ti seemed to have bridged the latest ati rolling, any ideas around that card?
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/MSI-N560GTX-Ti-Twin-Frozr-II-OC-Video-Card-Review/1181
  2. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I'm using that card atm, haven't had chance to test it with Rift yet but its an awesome card for the price, 580 chipsets are still too expensive, and it vastly outperforms 4XX series cards for an almost nominal extra cost.
  3. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Had the smae issue once with what i thought was the graphicscard since the drivers fucked up and reset all the time, no matter wich one i used.. same as you have. It turned out to be my ram memory that was defekt. Changed them and no issues since then
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Have you tried the latest 11.1 CCC for ATI cards ?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

If 11.1 is giving you problems, try rolling it back a driver and see if that solves your issue. That card will be more than capable of running RIFT so if I were you, I would rather solve the issue than buy a new card, and if your temperatures are fine, I would look at your drivers before doing anything else.
  5. Offline

Shantotto Guest

6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I had a similar issue a couple of PC's ago where one of the RAM chips developed a fault, but RAM issues usually give bluescreen errors or boot failures.

Depends on what exact error Gir's getting, it sounds like freezing from the "lockdowns" comment, I would try different drivers first.
  7. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

A memory test running for a while would rule out if it was memory or not, just google for one. Think I used memtest last time.

Rather than trying the most up to date driver have you tried rolling back to older more stable ones? Or has this been an issue for a while?

Other thing to try to eliminate anything else on your PC that could be causing it would be to try another card if you have one spare or if your lucky enough borrow one for a few hours of a mate.
  8. Offline

gir Veteran BOON

ah kudos on the feedback, i ran a memtest and was no problems there, and i tryed several drivers and nothing have changed, and i just got new motherboard, cpu and memory, with a new install of windows and this happened before i got all the new stuff, so i think it is the gfx card
    What is happening is:
    #1 Like if im in a game, the game locks down for ..10sec then i get a ati driver message that the driver stopped working.
    #2 Graphics in game totally gets fewked up with artifacts and weird colors and even after alt-f4 the game client windows is still fewked so i have to reboot.
    #3 computer looks totally and i have to hard reboot, never had a bluescreen
    so i guess i have to live with it or get a new card, its not that expensive anyways to get a new one if you dont go for the most expensive 1
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I know your not a retard, and this question is gona sound like I think you are, but.....

When you got this new motherboard and such, when you rebuilt the PC, did you make sure the graphics card was compatible with the motherboard, and if so, did you install it into the correct slot ? Think new motherboards have like 3 different types of PCI slots now and some graphics cards will only work on certain ones.
  10. Offline

You say you got an ati message, but do you get a DEP message saying your driver has stopped working to protect windows?

I find it unlikely that a card such as yours wouldn't be compatible with a motherboard, unless you bought some obscure thing plus as you said it wasn't working correctly BEFORE you bought new stuff.

Looking up the card & drivers stable ones seem to be 9.2 and 8.12 give them a go.

Were you running same OS previously? (what is it, win7 I hope!)
    Is your power supply adequate for the job? (try http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp or something similar, first one on google)
    Each time you have tried new drivers are you 100% sure all the old ones have been removed? Multiple installs of drivers can cause serious issues.

You really need to try it in another PC or another GFX card in yours, but I know several people that have thought "ah fuck it, the card is screwed" and gone to buy a new one only to discover its still not working. Rift isn't out yet you have time to make sure it is the card before spending money which could be wasted.
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

And even if your PSU is the right rating.. it better be a good brand name and not 'Q-Tec'. If it is a 'Q-Tec' one get it replaced even if you gfx card is broke!
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I can recommend http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

You shouldn't need to use tools like this every time you change drivers, but like Div said, multiple installs cause big problems, and it isn't rare for the official uninstallers to leave stuff behind that they shouldn't.
    If your PSU is shit, I have used one of these for a few years now.... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129282

So yea, it can easily run most setups. Enough connections to run 2xGFX cards etc. etc.
  13. Offline

Connections isn't the issue, people should know how many they need etc its normally pretty clear like that spec sheet, its the voltage which is the cause of most peoples fuckups, they just don't consider it (obviously not an issue with that PSU)

"Look at me I can run two top of the range SLi cards, best motherboard, loads of fans, multiple HDs etc etc on a 350W psu! but oh wait its not working properly, wonder why"

or they flick the little red switch on the back... KABOOM
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Basically PSU capacitator's tend to age so they gradually diminish the power they supply, if it is a PSU problem you may try to calculate to see if you're not straining it too much.

15. Offline

I've had my current PC for...hmm well I bought it to play WAR? Upgraded to a custom cooler for 8800gtx installed a new HD...but that's pretty much it, I've never built such a stable PC before :eek: and its been OC'd since I got it.

Will have to bite the biscuit at some point though which I'm not looking forward to as problems like this can easily crop up.
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I did that on an old PC I was going to throw out and the PSU actually started to fizzle and catch fire. The casing all melted and sparks were shooting out the arse of it.

If anyone has an old PC they are going to throw in the bin, I highly recommend doing this as its fucking funny.
  17. Offline

Tal The Architect

I flicked that switch once after a friend dared me to do it in school. It exploded.
  18. Offline

I did it with a PC at work by 'accident'

PC was getting chucked anyway so I thought it would be quite funny, made a very loud bang which caused 20 odd people to turn round and look at me with a very sheepish grin :)

Not as bad as connecting the batteries in on a UPS, on the huge ones it gives of a fucking massive spark/bang I nearly crap myself every time even though its insulated etc