Getting a SSD for gaming?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Balmung, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

So recently a friend suggested that getting a SSD for my rig is worth it as they are pretty reliable and affordable now. I'd have to put my windows on the SSD and the games I play most. Any of you have any experience with SSDs, if it's worth getting one and if there are any other benefits besides much shorter loading times?

My rig looks like this:

PSU: Corsair 750W
    MB: Asus P6T Deluxe v2
    CPU: Intel i7-920 (Bloomfield - Rev. D0) OC @ 3.36 ghz
    Cooler: Sycthe Mugen 2 Rev. B
    RAM: 6GB Corsair DDR3-1333 (clocked at 1280 due to CPU-OC)
    GPU: 2x GTX 460 768MB SLI - slightly overclocked
    HDD: WD 1GB SATA 7200 RPM

Any help is much appreaciated :)
  2. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

I think SSD is still too exspensive.
    And it doesnt give that much advantage while gaming. faster load screens?
    For gaming it is not that required.
    my opinion ;)
  3. Offline

Shantotto Guest

It basically gives you very fast times for loading anything, ie massive programs or gaming etc.

To be 100% honest, not really worth ti just for gaming. ( and I have one ) although loading instantly to everything is pretty fun.
  4. Offline

Mizou Community Member

u where always the first in bed, now u are the first ingame...
  5. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

It's great for games with massive pvp as they are heavy on disk I/O. I say go for it, but max 60 gig, all above are wasteful.
  6. Offline

Shantotto Guest

lololololol.

Tell me that when you have 20gb windows folder and 20gb game install, and the actual programs you want to run an SSD for.
  7. Offline

Mizou Community Member

people run OS and game at the same disk ?!? am i the only one who splits it ?!?
  8. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

I will quote myself :p
  9. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I think the difference is significant, the HD is nowadays the slowest part of the PC. I only have 1 MMO and all the continually running programs on the SSD, but also Windows, Photoshop etc. Got an 80gb intel one, I think I'd have a lack of space with a 60gb one tbh. If you pick one now and you plan to use it like I do, pick a 120gb one. (MMO's tend to get bigger and bigger)
  10. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

I don't need to boot fast as my computers have basically no downtime. The disk I/O for the windows folder whilst running is pretty minimal and runs just fine on a 7000+ RPM disc. Other programs (say, 3d modeling, image editing, sound (?)) are only ram-heavy, not I/O heavy. Unless you _need_ fast booting, you'd only need to put multiplayer games on your SSD.
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I like short loading times for my games, especially when playing heavily modded games. But I honestly would need a 240gb SSD at some point for that, now that..is still too expensive. If you truly want to notice how much it matters, replace a shitty Laptop HD with an SSD.

(just a general statement, not a response to your post Mask, although I love having a quick OS boot but that's personal)
  12. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Yeah, the whole loading time for single player games (and boot-time) is sorta down to taste, but you will have FPS drops in massive pvp if you don't run a good disk. If you only want it to make sure that everything will run fine and smooth, get a smaller disk. If you have money on your hand and want a bit extra out of it, buy a larger. Easy as that :p
  13. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

been checking some prices on good brands, about 100€ for 64GB and 160€ for 128GB...dunno 64GB seems too little to go for it, considering windows + user files + swap files take up a good 40GB...barely enough for 1 game...then again 160€ seems alot for 128GB...i can get 3TB of a normal harddrive for that price. Bleh cant decide yet :cold: but yea, I'm a phreak like that, I definatly want faster loading...massive e-peen 4tw!
  14. Offline

Mizou Community Member

i would never put windows on the same drive u play from
  15. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

then there's no point in getting a SSD as far as I understand, windows has to be on the SSD if u expect any performance increase...or did I get that part wrong?
  16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

big games that have to load a lot can benifit more from an SSD than an OS does by really mostly just booting. But honestly an SSD thats above 60gb can do both, of course having another seperate SSD for the OS would be even better...but yeah ''price''. You can also use them in RAID I suppose for an even faster system, but that is expensive and unreliable (or at least used to be).

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4050/corsair_performance_3_2x128gb_ssd_raid_report/index11.html

I'm personally happy with 1 SSD, with both my OS and 1 big MMO on it +all the little programs that I usually run or that startup with Windows. It's faster than an HDD, and I cba with RAID setups.

There are also plenty that use a small 20gb SSD to accelerate the HDD. like an Intel SSD 311 20GB, the SSD will be used as a sort of Cache (called Intel Smart Response). It basically pre-loads stuff so its quicker to read. It's half as fast as a normal SSD, but it'll make your whole 1TB of the HDD faster.

so 2 x SSD = fastest

1 x SSD = second place, low space

1 x tiny SSD + 1TB HDD = half as fast as 1 x SSD, but still a lot faster than just an HDD. But can use full size.

(Also OCZ Vertex 3 240 gb version is a lot faster than the 120 gb version)