Gearbox releasing remakes of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 for Windows PC

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Merketh, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

Gearbox will release high-definition remakes of Relic Entertainment's real-time strategy series for Windows PC, the original Homeworld and Homeworld 2, the company announced at its PAX Australia panel today. The company will also release the original two titles to digital distribution platforms for Windows PC.
    Gearbox bought the Homeworld IP for $1.35 million in April, following the approved sale of publisher THQ's games and studios for $72 million in January. At the time, Gearbox issued a statement saying that Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's chief creative officer, only had great love and respect for the Homeworld franchise and "personally spearheaded the acquisition." The company said that preserving the Homeworld games is Martel's highest priority and intends on making "them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."
    Developer Paul Zakrzewski launched a Kickstarter campaign to develop a real-time strategy/space combat simulator inspired by the Homeworld series called Void Destroyer. The campaign was successfully funded in June and is currently on Steam Greenlight.
    The Relic Entertainment-developed Homeworld was initially released for Windows PC in 1999. The sequel, Homeworld 2, launched for Windows PC in 2003.
  2. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Aww yeah! Homeworld was an amazing and revolutionary game. If I knew about it earlier I would've tried to set it up for the LAN party I just left. Next time, for sure.
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I am confused what are they doing I played both of these to death back in the day, and ground control I think it was called, same feel about it.

Are they gonna carry it on with a new release?
  4. Offline

adagio Moderator

I doubt it, Gearbox are the worst at cashing the cow at the moment.They will be the same game with a lick of paint.
  5. Offline

Ephiria Veteran BOON

This game has a huge part of "responsibility" for my brother and me for gaming (my brother is still talking about it while developping his own game!)
    I've then discovered the choir version of the Adagio for Strings - Agnus Dei (trailer).
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

Fun fact: Samuel Barber composed Adagio for Strings in 1936-7 whereas Agnus Dei was not composed by him until 1967. Also used to name a legendary Boon Control player.