Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by F U R I E, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

As title suggests i need some advice in choosing a laptop for gaming and 3D graphic purposes.

Not interested in macbooks or alienware stuff, im looking for a decent, not necessarly high end laptop but with a decent size screen (at least 15 inches, better if 17), a dedicated graphics card and at least 4 gb of ram.

Weight, battery life or heating are not important parameters.

Budget should be around 700-900 eu.

Even if you could just point me to a trusted site that sends thoughout EU besides Amazon its really helpful :p

Thanks in advance :p
  2. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

couple of my friends all got Asus gaming laptops and they are all happy with them ;o
  3. Offline

Tal The Architect

Check out Dell Outlet for some amazing deals.
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Glad heat is not an issue because I have only ever used one "gaming" laptop in the past and it was so hot you had to put a towel between it and your lap or else you ran the risk of burning your balls off.

Personally I don't think you will find a decent gaming laptop for that price tbh. I know you said no Alienware, but just to look at prices, their 15" stuff is over £1K, the ASUS ROG 15" stuff is over £1K and Macbook Pro's are pushing £1K (although gaming on a MAC just makes me laugh).

I don't know a great deal about gaming laptops as it is something I have never been interested in due to the fact they are always overpriced compared to what you would get in a desktop. Probably someone else will be able to give you better help, but I honestly think you will struggle to get a decent screen size and decent performance for that amount of money.

As for PC sites that ship to EU, I always use www.ebuyer.com and www.overclockers.com

EDIT:
    Actually Tal is pretty spot on here. Although you said no Alienware, the Dell Outlet is probably the only place I can see you getting a good spec laptop for your budget. They are selling stuff on there that is decent and well within your budget atm, problem is they are refurbished, but does that matter ?
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

7. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Thankfully i dont plan using it on my lap, i just need a laptop to bring with me around and place it on a desk, as sadly i wont be home much from now on.

I found some nice deals but they are all for US, a custom made toshiba and HP... it was everything i needed in less than 800 dollars. Sadly i couldnt find anything similar for the EU.

Thanks, will check :p
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

9. Offline

Tal The Architect

10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

11. Offline

Tal The Architect

It does for me still?

Anyway, go to the outlet, select the home laptops, then performance tab. XPS 17.

• XPS L702x
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    • 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    • 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
    • Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
    • 8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
    • Display : 17.3in Full HD WLED AG (1920x1080) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
    • Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card
    • English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
    • Back Up Media Not Included
    • Wireless: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
    • Silver Anodized Aluminum
    • Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION
    • Internal Qwerty Keyboard
    £726 incl VAT.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Must be because its your search, I just get an error to tell me the system cannot process my query.
  13. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Found the one Tal is talking about, which honestly is really nice.

I just dont know much about refurbished systems, how does the warranty work and can it really be trusted? xD
    Sry for the noob question :p
  14. Offline

Tal The Architect

I know quite a few people who have bought them which is why I would recommend getting it from there.

The vast majority of the time it's an open box return and someone has booted it twice and then returned it. Once every now and then there will be a minor scratch on the case that you'd only notice if you were looking.

Warranty is the same as any Dell product.
  15. Offline

Tal The Architect

They just can't sell it as brand new if the box has been opened, so it has to be sold as refurbished.
  16. Offline

Angelo Community Member

17. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

There are Alienware M17x-R3's for less than 900 English Pounds on there, that is a decent saving considering they still sell on the main site for around £1600.

Edit:

• Alienware M17xR3 : Stealth Black
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.00GHz, 6MB cache, Quad Core) with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.80 GHz
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    • 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ (2 DIMMs)
    • 500 GB 2.5inch 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Data Burst Cache SATA II Hybrid Hard Drive
    • Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    • Display: 17.3 inch WideFHD (1920 X 1080) WLED LCD
    • Graphics: 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    • English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
    • Wireless: Dell 375 Bluetooth Card
    • Wireless : Killer Wireless-N 1103
    • Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION
    • Internal Qwerty Keyboard
    £821.08 inc VAT
  18. Offline

Angelo Community Member

I would totally buy one if I could sell the pc I have right now, having this beast at uni is annoying.
  19. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

Furie, the laptop i used to play guildwars for the first years got burn ghosts on the LCD due to having the same images always displaying on screen :/ basically when i was in windows, i could see ghost images of my skillbar and other ui elements :p

So, with this, be sure to buy a laptop with a good monitor! I understand your position, but i'll probably never buy a laptop for gaming again. That said, no matter what brand you're getting, be sure to get one with a good construction. (and sadly on that matter, apple is the way to go, and i mean sadly cause of the price that falls outside of your range)

SSD nowdays is a must on laptop aswell, again probably going to shift the price too much for u.
    if i were you, i'd wait a bit till some ivy bridge laptops hit the market (with 3rd gen processors) but since i heard these were delayed, maybe it will be too late for you, not sure... (ivy bridge is more power-efficient and heats less at stock speeds than sandy)
    I guess nvidia will also follow up with a 600 series of mobile gfx soon aswell, so be wary of that.

Also, u said weight was not important, but be wary of the weight... carrying a big laptop around is the the best thing in the world :/ i realised that after i got my air. I literally don't even feel it's weight. (i'd stay away from 17" and go for 15" max)
    About the heat, i remember that my old laptop was hot. And not because i used it on my lap, but because i placed my hands on it and felt the heat :/ During the summer was really unpleasant

I hope you get a great machine, that you're happy with, and don't burn the lcd like i did ;)
  20. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

I'm assuming from him saying he's not going to be moving around a lot that he'll probably be driving to one location, setting up laptop, and then moving it when he drives elsewhere. I don't think he means he's dragging it around daily to and from everywhere. That's probably why weight doesn't matter.

I just checked the Asus site, I've recommended a few laptops from there for friends that fell within your budget, that could play most games out on around medium settings with no difficulties. doesn't look like there's any up at the moment, but they change often enough. Keep checking until something pops up, unless you're looking to buy very soon.