Future of PC gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fallanx, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

2. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

Heh Pwned!

(loved this part)

now seriously. dont really think this will affect pc-gaming that much.. they're just making the pc version of xbox live... wich all in all isn't that bad... its just a clone of steam!
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

#1 Lol at Microsoft's marketing team for making everyone in the video white westerners. Nice representation of the diversity of the online gaming community.
    #2 Lol at over 10,000 dislikes to that video on youtube.
    #3 Just lol, nothing else really.

If this is the future of PC gaming then I think I will just kill myself.
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

o...k... they do manage to embarrass themselves time and time again. GFWL was the worst thing ever made, this would probably top that.
  5. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

The shit thing is that this WILL take off. Basically they are trying to cash in on all the games which currently give no money to micro$oft on PC platform unlike every XBOX game.

They will no doubt build Win 8 around it so that only endorsed games will run, forcing publishers to tie in with their deal if they wish to sell on PC either, killing off the indie market (bye bye minecraft, etc) and only the greedy console kiddie dev teams will pay to ensure a PC release.

Basically it will be the death of PC gaming and the birth of build your own XBOXesque gaming platform. PCs will be just another console, and what can we do? If devs stop developing unless its win 8 compatable then we are screwed.
    Say hello to monthly subs, to paid content for all games, no original content for PC only consolised shit.... And whilst this is only my prediction, it makes valid business sense for Micro$oft to try and squeeze cash out of us too, so therefore I think it will happen.

I think we are witnessing the death of the PC, and I don't think there is a lot we can do. :(

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

uh, yea I think you took a bit too much of that paranoia today. GFWL died because it was shit, Steam is still working fine because they greatly improved the client after it was shit and added a very nice digital payment system to it.

If Microsoft comes up and forces shit that much on the PC, hopefully OpenGl (or similar) might take off again and you can say goodbye to Direct X and maybe even to Windows.

Ow and did I mention that Microsoft has very much the tendency to do things half-arsed, and when it ends up going to shit they try to cover it up with something else and keep doing it till people forget it existed. they aren't consistent enough to force something like that on people, or atleast not permanently just temporarily.

PS: *sigh* I think we got trolled by Microsoft.
    PPS: there's a few indiegames working with OpenGl still aswell (one of em is Overgrowth) and they will run on other platforms aswell. good read: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX
  7. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

alaisy, opengl is dead. Even john carmack already said directx is the way to go and microsoft is doing the right thing with it and that the only reason ID makes opengl games is because of the infrastructure they have setup already -_- This coming from the boss of bosses in opengl and 3d games in general means a lot to me...
  8. Offline

adagio Moderator

The one thing that has always amazed me is that a company with conflicting interests is allowed to dominate the market. MS has time and time again withheld releases of games so the xbox could be promoted first to make the real money. Then the PC version limps in a few months later looking like its been coded by the tea boy.

Also what amazed me a few years back when MS was forced to put to one side IE, messenger and the e-mail package from windows was that DX wasn't included. Whats needed is the two graphics card companies to come together and say this is the api that works for our graphics card, build you operating system to run it.
  9. Offline

Tal The Architect

U mad, PC gamers?

[IMG]
  10. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

the console kid on that pic must be high
  11. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

fuck this and FUCK STEAM TOO,, they all control freaks, and once everything is under control gone are, new experiances, diversity, novelty, cutting edge, racey, exciting, different and pushing the limits.... fuck me, games shouldn't even have community forums, cause all they get is whine to make thier game "AVERAGE" meh rant over
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

This dude was either a troll or mentally retarded.

Comparing two games over a decade apart and saying Halo is a "real competitive FPS game". I wish there was a way to let console gamers play Quake, Unreal Tournament, Old CS and games like that. Then they would know what competitive play is.
  13. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

did anyone find it ironic because I am pretty sure that Halo was developed for PC then ninja'd for the xbox so mircosoft could put it in thier package deals to get ppl to buy xbox?
  14. Offline

adagio Moderator

Would help if he labelled the right game to the right picture!!!!
  15. Offline

Mizou Community Member

the thing about consoles i like is, u can play it with your friends next to u while pc gameing turned out to be the sit at home alone kinda thing. tough we have a clan called camper in erlangen, they rent a huge room with toilett access and play from there with 30-60 people. it gets more a youth club now but its good because u always need first blood, erm young blood^^
  16. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

MS should keep working on their OS and that's it really )
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I wish there were more LAN events in the UK.

Where I live there was one place and it shut down. A PC store in a town near me bought a warehouse and tried to set it up as a LAN event but it failed because of no investment.
  18. Offline

Shantotto Guest

UK scene got hurt badly when Barrysworld/Jolt/Gamesinferno all died, before then there was a massive volunteer community of admins running leagues for almost every game.
  19. Offline

Tal The Architect

I miss barrysworld :(