Fuck BT what UK ISP do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Katiechops, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

For weeks my broadband has been runnign at 400k to 1m and I am fucked right off with it, used to get 6m 24/7 for years and they are clearly fucking about with it to see wtf they can get away with.

So what ISP are you UK people using? Money no object other than retard sat. so fuck prices I want bandwidth
  2. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

bethere provide a pretty solid service. Bunch of people went with them from boon, me included. For ULTIMATE POWERRRR though, you should consider virgin fibre optics, or maybe BT fibre optics.

Although im not sure if you can get either of those services in scotland, what with your backwater country being like 5 decades behind everyone else :p
  3. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Virgin are also known for oversubscribing, it really depends on your area because I had virgin I was fine while other people I knew could barely load up webpages.
  4. Offline

yeah, can be really hit and miss with virgin. People either seem to have great reviews or terrible
  5. Offline

Shaftsplitter Veteran BOON

I've been with Plusnet since first getting Broadband, and only had a couple of problems in 6+ years with them - I'd highly recommend them.
  6. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

I'm afraid the entirety of the UK is pretty hit and miss with broadband. Actionpigeon has an -amazing- connection with Virgin in Derby, I have an amazing connection with BT in Cardiff.

Try and check the forums for the different providers in your area, look for customer feedback. That's your best bet imo.
  7. Offline

Tal The Architect

I've checked your exchange and you can't really get any LLU providers or Virgin apparently.

You'll have to stick with someone reselling BT. If your line has deteriorated maybe you should change your microfilter just in case.

If that doesn't fix it, I would just go for BE. They'll be reselling BT's service but won't impose any caps or restrictions: https://www.bethere.co.uk
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

BE are fucking brilliant. Never had any problems with speed dropping or anything. Not the best speed, but for gaming I don't care as long as the ping is low and DAMN is it low.

Also their customer service is top notch.

Virgin has good speed, but they shape traffic... was on their 20GB service but most nights I'd get closer to 5 with horrible pings and jitter.
    not had their fiber optics though.
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

My broadband totally gone now, I thinkI broke my router last night, will test with a spare one fomr work tonight, might just have been my router on its way out.
  10. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

And likely switch to bethere too :p
  11. Offline

Pro Community Member

I had massive problems with all MMO using BT, I think they packet shape and stop MMos from working properly or something, switched to fibre optic Virgin and it was amazing, now I am in a new house and can only get BT, I have BT infinty, which gives me at least 20mb per day and sometimes 30mb.
  12. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

BT infinity is the way forward indeed, 4+ mb/s download speed. Don't mention it in front of chops though, he'll bring the scots banhammer.
  13. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

If infinity is the future we are fucked.... Sure it's quick, but BT shape traffic. Nothing worse than having latency of 100ms because the company decide gaming and p2p is not a priority.

BEthere are the best IP in the uk for gaming without a doubt. Maybe slower dl speed but I'd rather wait an extra hour for my dl than be laggy in games.
  14. Offline

Tal The Architect

Be will support BT infinity soon.
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

:eek:
  16. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Well, most ISP's will have access to the same Tech that BT Infinity uses in 2012, currently BT have rights to it from Openreach as part of the deal that they'd pay to upgrade most of the infrastructure etc etc.
  17. Offline

Tal The Architect

Yep, of course - however buying it through Be shouldn't give you the traffic shaping and caps etc.
  18. Offline

Assumably BE's version of BT infinity will still only be available in areas where BT infinity is available :(
  19. Offline

Agga Community Member

I went with BT very recently not infinity as it was too expensive and they are a nightmare with P2P during peak hours i get a 1.5kbs download speed basically stopped but off peak I get 2Mbs I didnt notice bad service with TOR when playing the test w/e and downloading and patching the client even at peak times was at Max Speed which surprised me,I think less well known MMos may be a problem and p2p peak times is no no with BT,I had little choice but too go with them as Tiscali was my phone line provider and all the other ISP's wanted a large connection fee to get me back on a BT line sometimes as much as £150,where BT was free,so I'll have to stick it out till contract expires now
  20. Offline

Tal The Architect

Well of course.