Fridays boredom question - week 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adagio, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

A lead character can often be the main focus of the game. Gordon Freeman, Sonic, Mario etc can define a game by themselves but more often than not its a player made character which sticks in the mind.

So the question this week is.

What has been your greatest character you have played in a game? This could be a MMO character you created that simply makes you smile when you think about it. It could be a iconic character you simply love or some obscure background character you think yep I wanna be that guy.
  2. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Youtube Maskerad.

You ugly hunchback emokid.

;_;

On a more serious note though, Infested Kerrigan. I have an absolutely unhealthy amount of Infested Kerrigan wallpapers and images ;_;

(Let's also not forget Eir, after all, I have ordered custom Eir artwork...)
  3. Offline

Feidan Community Member

Don't think there is one. Games rarely male MCs as the most interesting characters. If I had to name someone interesting from the top of my head it would be MC of either Persona 4 , Amnesia The Dark Descend or 1st Prince of Persia.
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I'm not convinced by the argument that named MCs are less memorable than player crated characters.
    Characters where you play a named character, like Gordan Freeman, Adam Jensen, Kyle Katarn etc are all far more memorable than nameless player generated characters because the story is tailored around them. When they die they are gone from the story.

When you loose a player created character, you are annoyed at the loss of time and effort, like with Doodles recent loss, RIP, but I'm not sure it's as detrimental to the story. As you can create a new character and the story will largely be the same.

A good indicator of what I mean, in WoW, many people get posters of protagonists like Thrall, or antagonists like Illidan, but vary rarely do people get posters made of their toon, because whilst they are attached to the effort put into that character, it's not the toons personality or backstory that's interesting (excluding you wonderful RPers).
  5. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

The Nameless One
    Planescape Torment

Both Main Char and Player Created.
    I dont think it can be done in any better way.

[IMG]
    "I was awakened on a cart which the zombies just pushed into the room, closing the doors behind them. The dim light allowed me to see the dead bodies scattered around the room, lying on tables and waiting for the zombie workers to take them away. I looked at myself. What are those scars all over my face? What are those tattoo markings on my back? And, most importantly - who am I?"

ps. also, best game end boss ever. never saw it comming!
  6. Offline

Feidan Community Member

Many games suffer from the cancerous "Main Character the viewer can identify with" so they hardly put any character into them i.e. a grizzled generic short brown haired guy. Even in Mass Effect where Sheppard is the one who makes all the choices, he himself is the least interesting character in the story.
  7. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Exactly this. When I play an MMO I try to, atleast in my head for immersions sake try to figure out some kind of story around it. So sure Thrall is an epic main char in the world of Azeroth, but he is still a tree-hugging human lover that my orc rogue, who's old school and loves the Hellscream style - both senior and junior, really dislikes. I think if you go back there's also a point in your main characters lifespan that you remember above all else. Like "when beheaded Nefarian, slew illidan and took his glaives, griefed the alliance for almost a decade" or "when spear-headed the legions assault on Krotan destroying hundreds of asmodians". Call me corny but it sure as hell makes my experience in any game helluvalot more enjoyable. And therefor my two main most memorable characters in gaming have so-far been:

Atshal - orc rogue @ WoW - character played continously over atleast half a decade. Leaves a mark.

Tvar - gladiator @ Aion - Scourge of the Abyss and Bane of the Asmodians, Master Emo and Grinder of Balaur Fortresses.
  8. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Tyriel from Diablo 2 and ofc John Shepard from mass effect
  9. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

Well, in my case, in-game Relinquished and RL Chris are one and the same so i dont realy need to identify to anything there.
    Ofc as far as "character" goes. The few ppl that know me through games and in RL know that i dont adopt a persona when i play.
    It's always the same.
    Start game, play carefully, dont interact too much, observe, adapt, improve
    BOOM!
    explode in everyones face with my uber OPness and superior inteligence!

And it only gets better in RL cause I look hot as well!
    So yeah, my MMO chars are a sub-part of the real me and not some superficial representation of my super-ego.
    That's also one of the reasons i find it impossible to RP in online games.
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Female Imperial Agent, I couldn't wish for anything better!

But yeah when it's about a deep main character, think the Nameless One that Reli already mentioned is pretty much unbeatable.
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

<---- This guy
  12. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

I have difficulty in thinking 'yeah I wanna be this guy' as I'm the least rping like person on the planet (please see my to guide on sw forums for more details).

I'm gonna say Sonic. He's one of the reasons im into computer games now!!
  13. Offline

Saul Community Member

Got to say that is a great shout Reli..

I would say Dev created has got to be The Nameless One, and player created would be my original Saul from SWG, due to all I achieved with him and what he represented in that game.
  14. Offline

gir Veteran BOON

Guybrush Threepwood

15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Favourite character I have ever made......

[IMG]

Too cute.
  16. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

why am i not suprised aspira!
  17. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Has to be Solid Snake from MGS, was probably one of the characters I remember the most due to the story created in the first game, every time I hear the song it just gives me such an amazing nostalgic feeling. Don't think I've played any other game which created that feeling as if I was part of the story and made me connect with characters just by their stories.
  18. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

I'm with gir on this one. Guybrush is my favorite game char.I mean come on, he puts a pot on his head and gets shot off a cannon for pieces of eight.