Fridays boredom question - week 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adagio, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

Last week valve announced steam/valve was worth a estimated 3 billion dollars. With steam now the goto place for digital downloads and rumours of a steam console in design. Valve will have a big say in the next 10 years of pc gaming.

My question is. Will valves/steam be the saviour or destroyer off a competitive pc market and do we have to accept pc gaming will become more consolified? (made up words ftw)
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

One thing we can be sure of with valve is that they understand the PC market, that is why it's taken competitors like ea with origin YEARS to start to realise that they got it wrong and needed to improve their distribution service.

Steam has its flaws but on the whole it gives pc gamers deals no console gamer gets, a huge catalogue of games no high street chain has and valve continues to bring out stella games titles, even if there's no Ep3 or HL3!!!!

What I think we will see with valve and steam is consoles becoming more PC-styled, rather than pcs going more consoled. The valvebox or whatever it's called is aimed at replacing the Xbox NOT the PC.

That's my 2p
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Valve are the last hope of the pc gamer. Can only hope they continue being as awesome as they are (cs 1.6 aside).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Think they'll try out a few new things and see it doesn't really take off or become a big deal and go back to their old model. I do not see any plans innovative enough to change the entire market (yet).

Eventually it may just be a marketing stunt as well, or perhaps they'll pick up on other companies' idea's and press them on.

I'm still waiting for that controller that you can just wear as a hat and controls your movements :p
  5. Offline

Karasu Community Member

I really don't like how the games get locked in the client. Very annoying w/ modding. Feels like I'm using ownership of what I bought. Same with moving toward requiring internet connection to play.

Personally I only buy anything if it's -66% or more. It does make me a bit worried it'll be tough to compete on their market.