fridays boredom question - week 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adagio, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

Sega, one of the dominating hardware and software gaming forces of the 90s. Then the collapse of the hardware section saw the decline of Sega to just a game dev.

My question is, in your opinion what was the one biggest mistake Sega made?
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

1 word.... Sony

The PS1 destroyed the Saturn by the time the dreamcast was on its way and Sony cunningly announced the PS2 shortly before the DC was announced meaning that the PS1 owners and converts were hyped about the PS2 and skipped the DC which Sega had gone all in with.

The Saturn was costly for SEGA but they tried to come back in the game with a gamble on the DC. Sony out played the market.

Shame but unfortunately the Playstation 1&2 were simply brilliant and the Saturn and DC were great but sub par when the bar got raised.
  3. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

Not getting the rights to release Mario Kart on the mega drive.
  4. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

Sega did not focus on one market as Sony or Nintedo did.
    Home consoles, handhelds, arcade machine games, game development in general etc etc.
    Sega had to compete with Sony, Nintendo, Neo Geo and god knows who else those days.

[IMG]

Ahead of it's time? Perhaps. Sega focused too much on aggressive marketing and the effort to always be "leading" in hardware.
    I mean, who wanted to buy a thing like the one in the pic, to play Sonic or Sega Rally.
    Also, Mortal Kombat was, is and forever will be the most abysmal fighting game ever. A button to run, a button to block. Really?
    Hmm... perhaps that was Sega's biggest single mistake. The run button in MK.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Don't you be badmouthing the MegaDrive with the 32bit expansion bay and Sega CD addon!!!!

I love Sega. I own most of their consoles and loads of random games for them (I am a bit of a retro gaming nerd) and although they are were not always the best consoles of their time (Saturn and Dreamcast for example) they did make some amazing products (MegaDrive, GameGear).

I have always found Sega consoles to have the best controllers too. Always the most comfortable and easy to use. I would even say the 3btn and the 6btn MegaDrive/Saturn controllers were as good as the N64 controller, which is one of the best ever made.
  6. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Shining Force on the MegaDrive back in the day <3
  7. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

FFS Merketh... even in discussion posts you throw links at us >.<
  9. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

[IMG]

This might be a bit late, but it needed to be posted.